Towson wins national debate

@Sebchenier. I like your analysis but it does not apply to more recent changes in US debating competitions. The issues you describe seem inherent to the entire anglosphere. In the United Kingdom, Parliamentary debates often feature taunting opponents, whereas in the old continent there is an emphasis on theory and restraint, the latter especially in Germanic cultures.

The changes witnessed in the US is now are mostly down to the dissipating influence of European Americans.

@Sebchenier. I like your analysis but it does not apply to more recent changes in US debating competitions. The issues you describe seem inherent to the entire anglosphere. In the United Kingdom, Parliamentary debates often feature taunting opponents, whereas in the old continent there is an emphasis on theory and restraint, the latter especially in Germanic cultures.

The changes witnessed in the US is now are mostly down to the dissipating influence of European Americans.

When you have so-called academics constantly spouting off about white privilege and that science and logic are constructs of the white man, this is the BS you're gonna get. Whoever is the loudest and most obnoxious wins, to hell with content.

I bet I'd outhyperventilate them.

When you have so-called academics constantly spouting off about white privilege and that science and logic are constructs of the white man, this is the BS you're gonna get.

Naturally, "white privilege" is a product of imagination, not of reality. Europeans and European Americans developed nation states in which all ethnic groups theoretically could succeed. Unfortunately, those who understand basic evolutionary theory and are not afraid to apply it to us homo sapiens, understand that ethnic groups have not developed the same. This is obviously one incredibly important reason why different ethnic groups succeed in different rates academically, professionally and athletically.

After decades of trying to close the Racial Achievement Gap, spending billions of dollars to correct the effects of "white privilege", no changes can be observed as stated annually by the National Assessment of Educational Progress:

The results paint a similar picture to that of SAT college entrance exam performance. The high school class of 2013 showed no improvement from the previous year and fewer than half of the test takers were prepared for college-level work, according to the College Board, owner of the SAT. Concerns about academic performance of U.S. students propelled education industry and political leaders to create the Common Core State Standards Initiative, which has become controversial as states balk at increased government intervention in education.

The 2013 reading and math results are based on a nationally representative sample of students in the 12th grade. More than 92,000 students were assessed in either math or reading.

Asian/Pacific Islander students scored the highest in math, with 47 percent proficiency, followed by 33 percent of white students. Those two groups also tied at 47 percent in reading.

The achievement gap between black and white students has remained steady at about 30 points in math from 2005 to 2013. The score gap between blacks and whites in reading widened by 5 points from 1992 to 2013.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...n-u-s-fail-to-show-reading-math-progress.html

Its interesting debating those who believe in "white privilege", they find it quite difficult substantiating their views, which is especially strange as these views are pushed in most universities. Ironically it is quite easy to find examples of black/minority privilege though, such procedures have often been developed to counter the imaginary notion of "white privilege".

@Martialarts101

I wrote that analysis before reading yours and I agree with yours wholeheartedly. In fact I would say perhaps mine complements yours, or adds a slightly different perspective to your argument.

But I said it applied to westerners because of Hollywood influence. The idea that passion and emotions drive our sense of right from wrong; correct versus incorrect. I see all too often people react with as much egocentrism as displayed in Hollywood film (central character facing challenge; character overcomes or succumbs to challenge; emotional outpouring ensues in climactic fashion; audience usually ends experience with peace and closure due to character's final actions in context of storyline). You can't watch a Hollywood film without it having this skeleton of a plot. Now, one can debate whether or not Hollywood is affected by the audience's demands in which demographics play a huge role or vice versa (communications 101). My argument has more to do with how the debate was conducted, more than what was being presented. Actually, I couldn't really tell what these students were talking about, but what I think is these students were so emotionally charged in their delivery that they were able to transmit this feelings onto the judges who are primed or more receptive to the tone.

Demographics certainly have a a huge role in the ongoing race debate in America, and particularly within the academic sphere. The latino population is gaining ground, and we are seeing more and more of a feminist and racial (particularly black) influence in the liberal arts, and political science departments of the more liberally inclined campuses. I just graduated from one of Canada's most left leaning universities and I'm about to do a masters at a more conservative university (it is a business school). I was doing a tour of my new university just last week and I think I saw one black student the entire time. Are black people traditionally not interested in business, or are they just not applying? All I know is I can't fill out any application anywhere without having to disclose my race, gender and whether or not I have any handicap. But we live in a society where battles are fought in emotional arenas, particularly in regards to justice and social equality. But it is still industry and private enterprise that holds the wheel to change. However I can definitely see how this PC movement is slowly changing our collective cognitive map, and industry responds to consumers' needs, and so I predict...I don't know what to predict.

I'm not sure where I'm going with all this. I have to go, but I hope this thread keeps going. I'm interested reading it later.

looks like the debate competition "2014 Cross Examination Debate Association" might not actually be bullshit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_Examination_Debate_Association

I think this is supposed to be thesis for the 2014 topic of debate "RESOLVED: The United States Federal Government should substantially increase statutory and/or judicial restrictions on the war powers authority of the President of the United States in one or more of the following areas: targeted killing; indefinite detention; offensive cyber operations; or introducing United States Armed Forces into hostilities."

so no idea how the above got turned into what was talked about by the Towson people unless a lot of context is missing before or after that video

I am going to guess Queen's or Laval based on your location Sebchenier?

Wouldn't the whole point of debates in college be to teach students how to debate issues properly? This is fuckin nuts. I woulda never guessed they do crap like this.

@Sebchenier
It did compliment mine, though I focus on the demographic/racial aspect, commentary about cultural differences must always be included in such discussions. One thing about US popculture, is its increasing focus on the increasingly shorter attention span of younger generations. Though rates differ, this can be observed amongst nearly all ethnic groups, though East-Asians have been the most successful in steering clear from the effects of post-sixties culture. I must also admit I have not really focused on what the students were saying, though I read elsewhere that most issues discussed where racially charged, and... quite ridiculous for those who have never wandered into an African American Studies department.

We all know that in these days, most judges would be afraid to judge such arguments on their actual merits, as people have learned to shy away from such controversial issues. This is obviously the very reason why Professors like Leonard Jeffries(CUNY) are even allowed to teach(poison) their students.

Throughout the United States, ethnic background is becoming increasingly important, as university administrators, politicians and special interest groups fight to combat inequalities.

All of this can be expected in every multi-ethnic society, where inequalities are as natural as the sources which cause these inequalities. The fact that utopianism is quite important for Americans in general, a worldview which has certainly spurred Americans into aspiring for nothing less then greatness, also explains the obsession with measuring statistics, including those you have encountered yourself. As the Bloomberg article I posted demonstrates, this indeed is quite important as the differences are quite shocking for those new to this subject, unfortunately, we tend to be afraid to discuss all possible causes behind these racial differences.

Are black people traditionally not interested in business, or are they just not applying? All I know is I can't fill out any application anywhere without having to disclose my race, gender and whether or not I have any handicap. But we live in a society where battles are fought in emotional arenas, particularly in regards to justice and social equality. But it is still industry and private enterprise that holds the wheel to change. However I can definitely see how this PC movement is slowly changing our collective cognitive map, and industry responds to consumers' needs, and so I predict...I don't know what to predict.

Black students are mostly found in Sociology departments, where verbal intelligence is valued, and skills in abstract thinking are of secondary importance. In Engineering, its quite rare to find black students, much more so then in Business. This can partially be explained by traditions, as ethnic groups per definition hold on to different cultures and specifically move away from the cultures of other ethnic groups, for reasons we could discuss later. Muslims in Europe can be found, quite predictably, in certain fields. Those can be generally explained by arguments discussing tradition. A more difficult subject is the logical conclusion that ethnic groups which have evolved separately from other ethnic groups, cannot possibly have developed the same. This is also the reason why endless efforts to close the achievement gap, have not succeeded and will not succeed. Common Core might artificially change some statistics, as one of the developers of this program recently admitted it was also developed to combat the fictional concept of "white privilege".

Keep in mind that your university might simply not be well known amongst Canadian blacks. Universities with more blacks attract black students, for the same reasons why Hispanic immigrants tend to move to Hispanic neighbourhoods.

People tend to prefer segregation, and feel less comfortable when they are a minority amongst other ethnic groups.

here is my pick for next years debate winner
big-bird.jpg

Big Bird will ignore the topic and just start chirping about his life being yellow and a bird. he will talk about how crowded the bird bath is. how he had to fight other birds for food at the bird house, and how he gets revenge on humans by shitting on their car. Then he will climax when he goes into a chirping frenzy about nothing.

he is a lock.

I watched this video about Towson University. The discussion is about the fact that there are dozens of ethnic student organizations which promote ethnic interests, and white students want to set up their own student union because they feel the aggressive promotion of (black/hispanic/asian) ethnic interests harms them if they do not organize themselves .

When listening to the arguments from those in the audience, I'm not surprised about the "talents" who somehow won the national debate:

[YT]?v=jGyfmhFobdM[/YT]

The overwhelming irony when that black guy said he was against ignorant stupidity. Most of the people asking questions couldn

@ripwarrior

Though war may be overstating it, there is already an ethnic conflict between Hispanics and Blacks in many areas of the USA. Many areas where Blacks just are not welcome or have been actively driven out by force and intimidation. It never makes national headlines though, for various cultural and political reasons. The Varrio Hawaiian Gardens gang would have made national headlines if it where whites ruthlessly targeting blacks, especially because it was one of the largest gang busts in US history.

Even though some believe this is a product of post-sixties culture, correct to an extent, it is also the natural state in multi-ethnic societies. You will never see a nation transitioning in terms of racial demographics peacefully and without radical changes within society. The sad thing is that most blacks vote for representatives, who for their own selfish reasons push for Amnesty and other programs which would increase the influx of Hispanic immigrants. For various reasons, such as increasing competition for low skilled jobs, this would not be beneficial for US blacks.

Was it mentioned that this is a debate format? From what I understand, the debates are scored on points made vs. points refuted, therefore, the optimal strategy is called spreading: make as many points as possible in your allotted time, making it as difficult as possible for your opponent to respond to every point that you made.

Given that this is the optimal strategy given the format (which the Towson students didn't invent, btw), why is everyone all like "...I just read this book by Nicholas Wade, and..." all of a sudden?

Presumably, if they were white kids from NYU who had won the debate format this thread wouldn't even exist, and Jared Taylor wouldn't have made an appearance.

Yikes, guys.

Was it mentioned that this is a debate format? From what I understand, the debates are scored on points made vs. points refuted, therefore, the optimal strategy is called spreading: make as many points as possible in your allotted time, making it as difficult as possible for your opponent to respond to every point that you made.

Given that this is the optimal strategy given the format (which the Towson students didn't invent, btw), why is everyone all like "...I just read this book by Nicholas Wade, and..." all of a sudden?

Presumably, if they were white kids from NYU who had won the debate format this thread wouldn't even exist, and Jared Taylor wouldn't have made an appearance.

Yikes, guys.

Outside of this Martialarts guy (who is obviously obsessed with race) and maybe a couple others, most are commenting on how retarded this so-called debate is, and how yes, if that is the format, then it's terrible. It's shouldn't be racist to point out how dumb this is.

Outside of this Martialarts guy (who is obviously obsessed with race) and maybe a couple others, most are commenting on how retarded this so-called debate is, and how yes, if that is the format, then it's terrible. It's shouldn't be racist to point out how dumb this is.

It's not racist to say that the format is dumb. But a lot of the comments don't stop there. A lot of the comments are more directed towards the debaters than the debate format itself. Like, how all these debaters did was say niqqa a bunch of times to beat kids from elite institutions. That's a little racialized IMO, insofar as ebonics is. It's a problem to some people here that speaking like that could lead one to success.

Back