Towson wins national debate

MC Paul Barman

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear about this?

[YT]jomFmN1tFSw[/YT]

I still can't tell if this is serious or not.
I just see a bunch of pages linking the same story.

Is this a debate that all colleges enter into?
Like would you have a Harvard, Yale, Stanford in this same competition?

I thought about going to towson

I'm not trying to troll by asking this...
is it a serious college? This is the first I heard of it. And if this is a top debate team at that college.... woof.

Again, maybe this is a big hoax or something.

Hesten's link that he provided of the entire debate is purged already.

From Towson's website:

If you’ve never seen a competitive debate unfold, here’s the first thing to understand: You won’t understand. At least not at first.
In part, that’s because debaters talk fast. Towson freshman Korey Johnson, for example, unspools her argument at a dizzying 400 words per minute. For comparison, standard conversation clocks in at about 150 words per minute.

Seriously?

Debating by yelling out as many words as possible?

is it a serious college? This is the first I heard of it. And if this is a top debate team at that college.... woof.

Towson University from Maryland? It's not a bad school, but it's also not one of the top schools in Maryland. It has a good program for people who want to become teachers, and I don't know the other areas it is strong in. For a lot of people applying to colleges it is their back-up school.

I suppose you win if you spew unintelligible words at a fast pace?

I suppose you win if you spew unintelligible words at a fast pace?

That is what college debating is, unfortunately. It's all about who can say the most, in the least amount of time. It takes the essence away from a true debate. Nobody actually has to think on their feet. It is totally packaged. It is like a fast food debate. There are better debates on Sherdog, everyday.

The debate was done in Ebonics?

What an embarrassment. This "win" will do the university more harm than good.

I went there. Had my AA already. Was easier than Jr college. I also managed to do 54 credits in one year. There are some serious classes there, but in general the classes are easier than they should be

After watching a bunch of debate videos, apparently debate is just a contest to see who can speak the fastest. They should stop calling it debate and just call it fast talking contemporary subjects poetry.

This is what you get when the judges are either politically correct white folk, or blacks with a victim complex. Does anyone here believe that if white students would have acted the same they wouldn't have been shot with a tranquilizer?

Dumbest thing I have seen all day. I thought for sure this was a gimmick vid. and not for real.

I remember watching a video for a debate class in community college, it was basically reading as fast as you possibly could. I guess now if you add in hammer fists and scream you're considered to be landing significant strikes. Wouldn't be surprised if Cecil Peoples was sitting on the panel of judges. Either that or our college standards have diminished so low that this is on the right end of the bell curve for most colleges.... pathetic.

I thought debate was about presenting and defending your argument and poking holes through your opponent's arguments. What the fuck is this?

Back