Tournaments...Bjj vs Judo vs Wrestling

Uptown Swinger

--⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆- ✡ -⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆--
@Black
Reaction score
This is not a "which style is better" thread.

Having been to many Judo, many Wrestling (hs) matches an a few BJJ tourneys... I have noticed a few differences. What differences have you noticed? What do you like or dislike? (Not in the fighting styles but in everything else?

1. Wrestling is the least expensive to register for followed by judo then BJJ which cost the most. Also there are a lot more Wrestling tourneys per year. Also = same order for monthly club dues.

2. Wrestling coaches (for the most part) yell and aggressively coach their player while Judo senseis are far more calm and reserved.

3. Wrestling coaches will debate and argue with the ref while Judo senseis will ignore a bad call. I guess it has to do with respect? Same with the parents and the spectators are a lot more calm. Less yelling and cheering from Judo crowds.

4. Judo tourneys do not allow street shoes on the mat. I love this rule. It disgusts me to see wrestlers, parents and coaches walk outside and onto the piss filled floors of the bathrooms then back onto the mat.

Do you agree?
Your thoughts?
What have you noticed?

This is not a "which style is better" thread.

Having been to many Judo, many Wrestling (hs) matches an a few BJJ tourneys... I have noticed a few differences. What differences have you noticed? What do you like or dislike? (Not in the fighting styles but in everything else?
1. Wrestling is the least expensive to register for followed by judo then BJJ which cost the most. Also there are a lot more Wrestling tourneys per year. Also = same order for monthly club dues.
2. Wrestling coaches (for the most part) yell and aggressively coach their player while Judo senseis are far more calm and reserved.
3. Wrestling coaches will debate and argue with the ref while Judo senseis will ignore a bad call. I guess it has to do with respect? Same with the parents and the spectators are a lot more calm. Less yelling and cheering from Judo crowds.
4. Judo tourneys do not allow street shoes on the mat. I love this rule. It disgusts me to see wrestlers, parents and coaches walk outside and onto the piss filled floors of the bathrooms then back onto the mat.

Do you agree?
Your thoughts?
What have you noticed?

I agree with most of this, but at the wrestling tournaments i went to if you brought non-wrestling shoes on the mat you could be DQ'd. Wrestlers don't like impetigo and staph. Definitely hate the Fees from the OJA...

I also notice Wrestling and judo tournaments run better/on time vs BJJ tournaments which run on brazilian time. So when i weigh in at 2 and supposed to compete at 2:30 i compete at 4. This is why wrestling has bout numbers and a pairing master. Most university level wrestling tournaments are finished by 2 or 3 when starting at 9, sometimes 4 or 5 if its a big tournament. I've been to BJJ tournaments where we finished at 8-9 after starting at 9 am.
I also prefer the wrestling aspect of not having all your matches within a 30 minute span. This allows you to eat, hydrate, be tended to if necessary.
BJJ tournaments have a habit of waiting for the person to show up to the mat after 15 minutes of being absent. In wrestling, you are lucky to have a 5 minute bell call before you are DQ'd. You know your bout number, pay attention to the mat.
BJJ tourneys do a terrible job at enforcing the coaches/athletes area where people wait to hit the mat to compete.

BJJ weigh ins with the gi are stupid. The additional weight compounded from the gi weighing 2.5 - 5lbs isn't going to make a competitive difference in terms of weight, only its weave will.

I don't know if BJJ allows video replay, but in wrestling it can be used for disputed calls. Can be lengthy though.
Wearing the green/yellow belt. Just stop with this, especially when people have different colored gi's.

Judo having 3 ref's with two on chairs. Just have one.

I'd have to agree with a lot of what has been said already. To that I'd add (I've only competed in Judo and BJJ):

I once weighed in at a BJJ tournament and waited almost 5 hours to discover that I had no bracket. That has NEVER happened at a Judo tournament.

At most of the BJJ tournaments I've been to (largely more local things and not as many larger IBJJF events), they make a very big deal of ensuring that everyone weighs in "on-target" and that everything is on the up and up as far as your weight. They are then equally quick to say "Nevermind - these three weight classes just got combined". For local tournaments, I don't even worry about weight anymore because I know I'm just as likely to end up in a defacto "absolute" division anyway.

There tends to be a huge difference between the local tournaments and the IBJJF tournaments. Like ... night and day MASSIVE difference. I have found that there is a much smaller gap between smaller local Judo tournaments and larger "IJF Official" events.

There are many more styles of tournament for BJJ and you have to be very cognizant of the rules for your particular event. I've also seen tournaments where one rule-set was advertised, and then the rules were changed on the day of the tournament. Never seen that with Judo.

I've also found that with a lot of the local BJJ tournaments as well as some of the larger non-IBJJF events (such as GoodFight), it can be easier to get more than one match in. At most Judo tournaments, if you lose, you're one and done.

Interesting read. As someone who is looking to start competing in bjj next year I had wondered about the similarities to judo comps.

Already had in my mind that they would be run in a more disorganised or should I say 'relaxed' way compared to judo, having practiced in both the differences just between how classes are run is night and day.

Honestly can't stand the fact classes start late and people generally turn up anytime. We are all there to train, so show how dedicated you are by turning up and starting at the right time

BJJ weigh ins with the gi are stupid. The additional weight compounded from the gi weighing 2.5 - 5lbs isn't going to make a competitive difference in terms of weight, only its weave will.

It actually isn't.
You see, weighting in with the gi on allows for high throughput of competitors. IBJJF is all about high throughput- no overtime, weighting with the gi on, gi inspection with 2 minutes to find a new one. It all makes perfect sense- whenever I register for IBJJF I know for sure I won't have to wait for 12 hours for my fight- I just look at the schedule and come at the right time, fight and go home. It's great for non-professionals- I don't have to waste entire day waiting and being nervous and hungry.

They wouldn't allow stripping in front of the crowd (especially with females), so weight ins would have to be either beforehand (then you come to the arena at 9AM and wait for many-many hours for your turn among the huge crowd of people like you) or in the special boot (which have to be put there, so there's gonna be extra space requirements, extra time to set up, extra cost and, more importantly, A LOT of extra time for each athlete which means more waiting or more days required (so maybe 2 days instread of 1 for typical comp). Nobody would want that, because IBJJF is mostly for non-professionals. Nobody really cares about the weave or that extra kilo on some blue belt master-2, and professional fighters fight at whatever ruleset organizers pick for them, so it's not like they are bound by IBJJF weight classes.

Yes. I guess that explains why i never compete within 2 hours of my weigh in time. Even the best ibjjf tournaments ive been to i still dont compete until 1.5 hours later minimum. And the whole tournament might start at 9 amd end at 7 -9pm. Its bs lol

Judo and wrestling tournamentsha ve done same day weigh ins in the morning numerous times with 400+ competitors and still start at 9 am and end by 4. Have yet to hit a bjj tournament that does that. This includes provincials, ascension open etc. Those are probably the best run tourneys in my province under ibjjf

Back