Tournament ready???

What division will you compete in? Age and weight?

Before you waste your money on a tournament, I would suggest going to ANY academy and taking advantage of their free trial period if they allow you to do live rolling. You'll immediately learn your place in the pecking order, there's less of a chance of people spazzing out and hurting you for a cheap piece of tin, and you'll still get to put your video knowledge to the test.

Or you could go out and get manhandled.

^ Well, Kenny Florian says he and his brother both won matches and medaled at their first BJJ tournament, without belonging to a real gym. It helped that they had each other to train with and are lifelong athletes. At white belt, people can win with minimal knowledge, just relying on strength and aggression.

I will concede this point to you if OP is Kenny Florian's brother. Demian Maia also received his BB in 4.5 years, so most people can probably use that same template for success.

Before you waste your money on a tournament, I would suggest going to ANY academy and taking advantage of their free trial period if they allow you to do live rolling. You'll immediately learn your place in the pecking order, there's less of a chance of people spazzing out and hurting you for a cheap piece of tin, and you'll still get to put your video knowledge to the test.

Or you could go out and get manhandled.

We have a new guy who's pretty athletic and strong. He's "home taught" as well. He does pretty well against other white belts when he rolls but gets owned by blues. He's like most whites in that he wastes TONs of energy and is mostly a spaz.

Also and this is a lesson, he doesn't have a plan B for anything... because he doesn't have a lot real experience. And that's what's great about bjj, its a chess match. There is a counter for everything.... and when you don't have a lot of practical experience... you lose. But thats the best part.

As a current White Belt I'll tell you now, knowing the techniques through visual studying and watching MMA since 1996, I am a very active athletic guy, played football, boxing, soccer, swimming etc... and then having just started rolling last December, it's worlds apart man.

If you wanna jump into a tournament, absolutely, I hope you love it, I hope it gets you addicted to the sport of Jiu-Jitsu but don't go in thinking you're gonna steam roll anybody. I hope you have fun and a good time but I also hope your Ego gets checked and you realize you need to start actual training at an academy.

Would you guys be condoning this if the martial art in question was MT, or even judo? Doesn't sound too safe to me but at your own discretion bud. Try to get a video to show for it if you can.

You're gonna get raped bro.

What he said..

As many have suggested.. take advantage of free trials/open mats at local gyms. Especially because you may get a chance to roll with some of the guys you'll be competing against. Live rolling is a different animal.. and so is competition rolling. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

I think your biggest weakness will honestly be your fitness.

Live rolling is taxing unlike any other activity, I am not exactly saying it is more tiring (but it could be) I am saying no other form of training perpares you for it.

Enrol at white and see how you go, but odds on after the comp you will be thinking about joining a gym. And all your book learning (ie videos) is not wasted it just needs to be shaped into real world applications.

I think you are fucking delusional if you think there is a possibility of you steamrolling the whitebelts. You sound like another bjj LARPer.

Gracie Compatives does not a blue belt make.

not really. at such a low level you can just power through whitebelts if your strong enough.. no technique necessary.. seen it plenty of times

Back