Tournament ready???

bambammccoy

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I have never been to a BJJ gym in my life. I'm 145lbs. 5'11

I've soaked myself in the Gracie Combatives Blue Belt course a million times and have seen many other instructional videos on a few other techniques. I have also practiced a little wrestling with a buddy of mine who is a pretty good wrestler(double legs, single legs, sprawls, ect is what he taught me) I am a serious perfectionist, like I might be learning from videos but I make sure to do exactly everything I'm supposed to.

I want to enter a BJJ tournament at white belt, and see how I do.

If I steam roll the white belts than I'll try Blue belt.

Opinions?

I've soaked myself in the Gracie Combatives Blue Belt course a million times and have seen many other instructional videos on a few other techniques. I have also practiced a little wrestling with a buddy of mine who is a pretty good wrestler(double legs, single legs, sprawls, ect is what he taught me) I am a serious perfectionist, like I might be learning from videos but I make sure to do exactly everything I'm supposed to.

Opinions?

Sure why not. Don't get upset if you lose. It will prob make you join a gym though, gracie combatives is not sport bjj

do you have any real live rolling aside from double-legs with your buddy? you can memorize a million moves, but if you don't know the small details that make it work and feel it in real life, chances are that it won't go as well as you'd like.

on another note: good luck! keep us updated on how you do

do you have any real live rolling aside from double-legs with your buddy? you can memorize a million moves, but if you don't know the small details that make it work and feel it in real life, chances are that it won't go as well as you'd like.

on another note: good luck! keep us updated on how you do

I understand that watching a technique isn't learning a technique. I've had hands on experience using the GC techniques many many times. Slow motion endless repetition.

Sure why not. Don't get upset if you lose. It will prob make you join a gym though, gracie combatives is not sport bjj

Sore losers are for team sports.

I don't like the idea of joining a gym because I am not that social anymore, as lame as that sounds.

All there instructional courses are sport BJJ except Gracie Combatives.

Opinions?

It seems like you've already made up your mind. Go for it. I'd love it if you posted video. Good luck to you.

My guess is you have not applied these techniques even half as much as someone who goes to a gym.

You also said you soaked yourself in gracie combatives.

You don't have to be social to join a gym, go learn, roll leave

Wait you've never actually rolled live? I would suggest you do the tournament just so you wake up and you join a gym. Grappling isn't something that you can really learn alone.

Wait you've never actually rolled live? I would suggest you do the tournament just so you wake up and you join a gym. Grappling isn't something that you can really learn alone.

I've rolled with a friend of mine many times who has also done the Gracie Combatives and I've practiced on a grappling dummy many times.

Go ahead and enter! Test yourself, be humble, be respectful, have fun.

Kenny Florian says he and his brother entered their first BJJ tournament without any formal training, they just rolled with each other, learned off tapes, and attended one Royce seminar.

Of course, they joined a real academy soon after. If you are truly a perfectionist and are serious about learning BJJ, you will have to join an academy too. This is not optional: If you actually want to improve, you must join.

Frankly, not wanting to join a gym because you are "not that social" is a very poor excuse. BJJ is a social activity by its nature. It takes two to tango! It is impossible to become a grappler without grappling other people. If you can't accept that, there's really no point in continuing.

I bet that if you join a proper school, you will quickly find yourself coming out of your shell and enjoying the company of new people. I've seen it happen! It's a wonderful thing

I think this might be a troll thread, but I'll bite.

I honestly think you will get handled by the white belts who go to class several times a week, and have been for a while. You won't know how to perform under pressure with a live person and they will. You could train off videos and with your untrained buddy (learning from videos is essentially untrained in reality) for years and still get smoked by a white belt who puts in the mat time with real people in a real class setting.

I think you are fucking delusional if you think there is a possibility of you steamrolling the whitebelts. You sound like another bjj LARPer.

Gracie Compatives does not a blue belt make.

I think this might be a troll thread, but I'll bite.

I honestly think you will get handled by the white belts who go to class several times a week, and have been for a while. You won't know how to perform under pressure with a live person and they will. You could train off videos and with your untrained buddy (learning from videos is essentially untrained in reality) for years and still get smoked by a white belt who puts in the mat time with real people in a real class setting.

Sounds logical. Ive heard that tournaments are real fast paced and what not and I could see how that could seriously affect my performance.
Thanks

Sounds logical. Ive heard that tournaments are real fast paced and what not and I could see how that could seriously affect my performance.
Thanks

I mean you should compete either way because it will be a great learning experience and help you see what you are lacking. But seriously I think the steam rolling will come from the opposite direction unless your white belt division literally has some people who are stepping on the mat for the first time the day of the comp.

I'm a white belt doing my first tourney this weekend. About 5 years ago I did about 8 months of no gi mma grappling, and I just joined a no gi club again about 5 months or so ago and I still feel unprepared personally.

I think you are fucking delusional if you think there is a possibility of you steamrolling the whitebelts. You sound like another bjj LARPer.

Gracie Compatives does not a blue belt make.

I don't think I will. But if I did, I wouldnt keep competing at that level. I want to find even competition to challenge me.

^ Well, Kenny Florian says he and his brother both won matches and medaled at their first BJJ tournament, without belonging to a real gym. It helped that they had each other to train with and are lifelong athletes. At white belt, people can win with minimal knowledge, just relying on strength and aggression.

This X 10,000.

Every person is different. What if you face someone in a tournament who pulls guard? Do you have an A game for playing guard... And if your A game is to Xande sweep first, what if your opp immediately stands up and breaks guard. You got a good open guard game?

Before you make an ass out of yourself, much less even think about enrolling against blue belts, go to a gym and roll.

Back