tournament/Competition advice?

cjlewis01

Drained Ear Belt/Paper Airplane Champ
@Black
Reaction score
I started my training journey about a year ago at a local traditional jujitsu gym. I went there for three months until I ran out of money.

My buddies and I continued out training by setting up shop in his basement. We train 3-5 days, with a lot of rolling, and some drilling. Our resources include BJ Penns books(book of knowledge and the closed guard), along with Roy Dean's videos and maia's videos.

We were planning on entering some tournements at the end of the year to see where we are as a group.

So my question arises that is this too soon? I was not worried at first as most tournaments have beginner divisons. But after looking over the rules, I would be in the intermediate division because I wrestled in high school. I wasn't that good I made it to districts in NE ohio D3, but that was back in 04.

So should I wait until the next summer, or just go for it? Any advice is greatly appreciated, also is the difference between the divisions that great?

Just go for it. The worst that can happen is you'll lose, and you'll learn from it.

I'd recommend going intermediate, because you do have prior training and probably more than a beginner would. Although you could get away with beginner, because they train with legitimate instructors, so their technique may be considerably better.

Just go for it. The worst that can happen is you'll lose, and you'll learn from it.

I'd recommend going intermediate, because you do have prior training and probably more than a beginner would. Although you could get away with beginner, because they train with legitimate instructors, so their technique may be considerably better.

Actually, according to the waiver forms that ive read, the worst thing that could happen is death, second possible worst would be permament life ruining injury.

dont go into the tournament expecting to lose since its your first comp, everyone says to do this but I think its utter bullshit and ruins your confidence which is a strong point in any form of competing, BJJ or not.

Actually, according to the waiver forms that ive read, the worst thing that could happen is death, second possible worst would be permament life ruining injury.

This possibility exists in training as well. Its something that you have to be ok with if you really enjoy the sport.

intresting..
being your first comp you should not expect to lose but you should not expect to win.
relax but go hard.

read the rules and understand them. no rogue business please

intresting..
being your first comp you should not expect to lose but you should not expect to win.
relax but go hard.

no!

just go in there knowing what you can do, don't under estimate the guy you fight and do not sell yourself short, confidence will help you

Back