Toughening up face/jaw bones?

OyaRetsamDnarg

White Belt
Reaction score
I know that by repeated contact your knuckles become less sensetive to pain, harder, and sometimes larger. Would this be potentially true for face bones too? Would repeated light contact deaden the nerves in your face and make the bones harder? I'm not saying it's a good idea, just wondering if it's feasible.

Even if it is possible, which I'm assuming it is (I don't think bones differ THAT much in make-up), I doubt it'd be a good idea to hit yourself in the face a bunch of times along your jaw line and orbital bone.

I don't have the quote, I remember it from Wand's All Access SpikeTV interview before the Lidell fight that he and the Chutebox team train without headgear to toughen up and condition their faces.

That's a brutal way to do it, but having a chin or being able to take a punch is something you're born with. You cannot teach yourself not to get knocked out.

Look at James Thompson. The guy is a physical specimen, but he gets tagged a lot and his "button" is his ENTIRE face, so he gets knocked out easily.

You watch other folks like Nog and he gets dazed or even knocked out, but does enough to quickly recover, hold on, and gets back into the game.

I don't have the quote, I remember it from Wand's All Access SpikeTV interview before the Lidell fight that he and the Chutebox team train without headgear to toughen up and condition their faces.

That's a brutal way to do it, but having a chin or being able to take a punch is something you're born with. You cannot teach yourself not to get knocked out.

Look at James Thompson. The guy is a physical specimen, but he gets tagged a lot and his "button" is his ENTIRE face, so he gets knocked out easily.

You watch other folks like Nog and he gets dazed or even knocked out, but does enough to quickly recover, hold on, and gets back into the game.

Training without headgear is brutal? That's a bit extreme.

Covering up > attempt at face conditioning

He said it was to get him acustomed to haveing punches coming at him because in the ring you dont have headgear. He didnt say it was to toughen his face.

Well if you are asking if its ok to hit yourself in the face in sure you dont care about your looks so just train without head gear. Problem solved..

I dont think training without headgear is the answer...I mean I HATE headgear but i think when you repeatedly get KO'd because you're not wearing headgear the negatives outweight the benefits LOL

He said it was to get him acustomed to haveing punches coming at him because in the ring you dont have headgear. He didnt say it was to toughen his face.

He actualy did say it was to toughen his face up, but i belive the quoat was to "toughen my skin up" implying for cuts, not really the bone structure.

then again he did say he wanted to F*** Chuck so who knows that he really ment, hehee.

I think i would rather spend the time learning how now to get hit in the face and how to block better then just taking clean shots to the face so my skin/bones becomes accustom to it.

I dont think training without headgear is the answer...I mean I HATE headgear but i think when you repeatedly get KO'd because you're not wearing headgear the negatives outweight the benefits LOL

Headgear protects you from cuts and some black eyes not KOs.

Well, Jack Dempsey used to soak his face and hands in brine and urine, so...ummm...give that a try if you like.

I know that by repeated contact your knuckles become less sensetive to pain, harder, and sometimes larger. Would this be potentially true for face bones too? Would repeated light contact deaden the nerves in your face and make the bones harder? I'm not saying it's a good idea, just wondering if it's feasible.

Its biomechanically the same so you could make your bones denser with any kind of load bearing activity including getting punched. I think its a bad idea to use it as a conditioning drill though. Good hard sparring will get you the same results.

I think its mostly psychological, however. The first time couple times you get drilled really hard it might make you want to sit down and fucking cry. But after you have been head in the face hundreds of times you have some point of reference to think "that sucked but I have been hit harder and still countered, still won, didn't go down etc".

You want to condition your face? There was a thread somewhere with before/after pictures of various fighters and what fighting has done to their faces. I can't see why you'd want to trade of potentially ruining any looks you have for the removal of what is probably not exactly the most major pain anyway.

You want to condition your face? There was a thread somewhere with before/after pictures of various fighters and what fighting has done to their faces. I can't see why you'd want to trade of potentially ruining any looks you have for the removal of what is probably not exactly the most major pain anyway.

Dude I'm already obscenly good looking I don't have to worry about that. If anything I'd just be leveling the playing field looks wise.

chew gum to strengthen those jaw muscles

i honestly think that makes sense but im not sure if it works that way exactly heh

Back