1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Tough time choosing two arts

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by jrock89, Oct 12, 2010.

1. jrock89

jrock89 Orange Belt

I am faced with a dilemma. There are basically only 2 legit striking gyms near my area.

So I go to a BJJ gym where they teach MT as well and I have been doing MT for around 8 months. Its ok, our instructor gives us tips and help here and there, but I feel his class is more conditioning and getting in shape oriented. So one day I felt like trying out this boxing gym where my friend trains. At the boxing gym I feel as if there was more help and I was getting better at being more technical.

So my point is, I'm hoping to do MMA in the near future and I know that I have to learn kicks and that aspect of the fight game, but I feel like my striking will improve more at the boxing gym. But I know if I join the boxing gym, my kicks, elbows and checking skills will start to fade away. What do you think is the best gym to join? I don't know what to do :icon_cry2

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

With those 2 options, I'd go with Boxing. The MT class sounds like a mcdojo for moms to stay in shape.

If the class is primarily cardio then you probably won't learn much.
    btw, post links if possible to help us get a better idea.

3. chaospfa

chaospfa Blue Belt

Do boxing, MMA striking consists of boxing and leg kicks (I know this is an over simplification). I did boxing for 2 years and those skills helped me the most in combat sports.

4. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

Better to have good Boxing training than shitty Muay Thai training...

5. Gooch Monster***

Gooch Monster*** Blue Belt

do both, get a bag to train on at home too, you'll develop good kicks.

6. Godhand13

Godhand13 White Belt

Tasmania, Australia. It's the little island at the
    have you considered an alternative, like karate? I know that good gyms are hard to find, but kyokushin is usually a pretty good option... If not I'd say do boxing, doesn't seem like you're learning much from your muay thai trainer

7. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    whats funny is that people think you have to know how to kick in MMA; you dont.

Fedor, Rampage, Little Nog, and a multitude of others throw relatively few kicks and are very good on their feet.

Box first, let the kicks come later.

8. jrock89

jrock89 Orange Belt

thanks guys for the feedback. boxing it is :icon_chee

9. lts5025

lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

TS, I don't know if your MT coach is really as bad as he seems. I train at a pretty legit MMA gym with a great MT instructor and his classes focus very heavily on conditioning and sparring. Very rarely does class come to a halt while he breaks down a technique and then the class drills it, and keep in mind, this is not an advanced or pro-level class, this is an all-levels class. He will walk around the gym observing people hitting pads, and will give corrections here and there, but I think he relies more on his experienced students and pro fighters to correct people.

Since he is coaching pros, he puts a huge emphasis on conditioning and sparring because he believes those two things will win fights. It's definitely not for soccer moms.

All that being said, I took a few months off from MT to take boxing lessons and it helped my overall striking greatly. Just being able to concentrate on my hands and defending against punches was not only a nice break, but helped me fine-tune a lot of my game. I would bet, however, the same would be true if I took time out of MT and took Kyokushin to concentrate on low kicks and body punches.

10. Wandeco38

Wandeco38 White Belt

+1 Boxing. Train for a 1-2 year and then join back the MT gym for a couple of months for conditioning/adapting your stance.