Touching Butts with Ido Portal

LOL, Conor gets unlucky and now everything he does is a failure!! LMAO! Specially after destroying Nate for the entire fight until the very end. You have to love these haters but I have noticed they keep disappearing. Back to their little caves soon.

Conor did not get unlucky. He got beat. Soundly. A second round submission after hurting the other person with strikes is about as definitive of a finish as it gets.

Conor did look good in the fight but Nate looked better on 11 days notice, fresh off patron and monteczumas revenge. Its not an issue of hating. Its the truth.

If anybody should be blamed it should be kavanagh/roddy/SBG.

They were drinking the conor GOAT kool-aid so hard that their dumbasses gameplanned to go out and headhunt a Diaz brother.

They also expressed no concern in the gameplan for gunnar to test himself on the ground with maia.

Conor said it himself that they do not gameplan for opponents. Well maybe the guys at SBG should start.

1000 bucks an hour but you get to lube his back muscles.

His back looks like a basket of baked rolls.

rolls.jpg

If I were McGregor, I'd get rid of Portal ASAP and invest the time and money in a BJJ trainer.

If I were McGregor, I'd get rid of Portal ASAP and invest the time and money in a BJJ trainer.
Seriously. A bjj trainer, some running shoes and a jump rope.

How the hell did he get duped into thinking this was how he should train?

This whole time I thought Ido was the lady who sang his walkout song vs Aldo. And I thought the touch butt reference was about Artem lol

Ido Portal is a fraud imo
His muscle and balance building techniques are legit but as far as teaching fighters all these techniques is borderline fraudulent activity.
I can't Conor benefiting much from any of this. I would almost certainly trade a session with Ido for another boxing lesson or grappling

I don't get it, if this guy is a master of movement let's see him spar with a guy with good striking.....His whole shit is a gimmick can't believe someone who has the talent of Conor buys into it as much as he does.

I am not saying there is no benefit from focusing on movement it is an important part of Conor's game but he is spending way too much time with this dork doing dumb drills he makes up instead of training with guys who actually compete at the top level

I don't get it, if this guy is a master of movement let's see him spar with a guy with good striking.....His whole shit is a gimmick can't believe someone who has the talent of Conor buys into it as much as he does.

I am not saying there is no benefit from focusing on movement it is an important part of Conor's game but he is spending way too much time with this dork doing dumb drills he makes up instead of training with guys who actually compete at the top level

Perfect post. It's valuable time he could be working on more fitness or BJJ/boxing

Seriously. A bjj trainer, some running shoes and a jump rope.

How the hell did he get duped into thinking this was how he should train?
I think it's a result of his ego and high mindedness. He sees (or saw) himself as a different type of fighter, some kind of new breed, saying he studies movements of animals and is a fan of movement of the body. So Ido's shtick appeals to that part of him. He thinks he's innovating and ushering in a new style of training and MMA. After getting his butt kicked, I wonder if he'll realize he needs to go to the basics and cut out all that self indulgent silliness.

I think it's cool what Conor is doing with Portal. Movement can be quite beneficial to him and I can still see it being a big part of his success. It doesn't mean shit tho if Conor is gassed by round 2.

Portal's just doing forms of gymnastics. I suppose anyone who does Cirque De Solei (sp) can do that sort of stuff. I think it's interesting.

This is how I feel. I'm sure the movement stuff is a nice touch for fluidity and helping with kinetic linking for your strikes but this Ido guy isn't a fighter. He has no record or accolades in any combat sport and yet he's leading the training regiments of these MMA fighters.

But I dunno, one loss for one fighter isn't a good metric for determining anything really.

Seems like Conor was making fun of "going rounds" and trying to revolutionize mma. While he was moving fluidly, Nate was going rounds with serious kickboxers and boxers. Conor only has Gunnar who is a top fighter. Just doesn't seem like the rest of his camp would really push Conor to improve.

I might be completely off, but this is how it seems. Those gifs are hilarious, too. Those sloth tai chi movements don't seem like having any application to MMA.

haha Conor trains with Gunni and Gunni comes with him for fights. They meet up with Ido the week of the fight to stay fresh and loose. That is what Ido is for. The hard work was done back in ireland with his training partners and coaches. The fact that you dummies can't understand that is mind boggling. It's about maintenance so that Conor arrives to the octagon fresh as a daisy and ready to go. If not, he runs the risk of injury like RDA/Aldo.

Staying loose and fresh is what a number of athletes do and almost all team sports do. You train in the pre-season and maintain/recovery during the week.

If you knew how training works (not what Nate tells you) you would understand it a bit more.

I'm starting to think the majority of you just want to say touch-butt and talk about "gay things" because it arouses you (NTTAWWT). In that case I'm sure you could go to a different website to discuss such things.

lel. Minnows.

I think it's cool what Conor is doing with Portal. Movement can be quite beneficial to him and I can still see it being a big part of his success. It doesn't mean shit tho if Conor is gassed by round 2.

Portal's just doing forms of gymnastics. I suppose anyone who does Cirque De Solei (sp) can do that sort of stuff. I think it's interesting.
Exactly. It's the stuff before Ido that Conor needs to work on to improve his cardio. Ido is barely with him except for fight week.

GSP started to do gymnasts and understood that different forms of training can make improvements in your game. It isn't just weights, running, and sparring. There are so many other components of training, and trainers/athletes are beginning to understand the importance of recovery. Not only after training but trying to improve sleep quality and lessen the impact of fatigue.

Seems like Conor was making fun of "going rounds" and trying to revolutionize mma. While he was moving fluidly, Nate was going rounds with serious kickboxers and boxers. Conor only has Gunnar who is a top fighter. Just doesn't seem like the rest of his camp would really push Conor to improve.

I might be completely off, but this is how it seems. Those gifs are hilarious, too. Those sloth tai chi movements don't seem like having any application to MMA.

I have always been suspect of Ido, but I just assumed he provided something tangible to Conor's training. But he's all over Conor's training videos and it's obviously too much. Iron sharpens iron and Conor has made it pretty damn far considering he literally only has Gunny with notoriety as a fighter along side him.

I'm sure he can continue with his success but changes need to be made. Ido taking a backseat would be the first step.

Why do people think this is Conor's primary form of training? Ido only comes in on fight week to keep McGregor loose and work on movement and functional strength.

Do you guys think GSPs gymnastics training is a waste of time too?

I think it's a result of his ego and high mindedness. He sees (or saw) himself as a different type of fighter, some kind of new breed, saying he studies movements of animals and is a fan of movement of the body. So Ido's shtick appeals to that part of him. He thinks he's innovating and ushering in a new style of training and MMA. After getting his butt kicked, I wonder if he'll realize he needs to go to the basics and cut out all that self indulgent silliness.

It's not that his basics need work, it's gameplans, making adjustments, and not buying into your own hype.

Nothing wrong with being a power puncher. But nothing wrong with being a technical boxer either. He doesn't respect it the way you have to in order to stay at the top.
If you have power, the KO's can come naturally even if you're a careful striker. Frankie took out Mendes clean, and he wasn't putting much weight into that left hook that dropped him.
On the other hand, Robbie's a good example of a power puncher who's learned how to pace himself for the 5 round fight. He still throws heavy, but he mixes it up with lighter jabs and saves his energy for a Round 5 blowout, where it makes sense to push the pace.

I don't know which is going to be right for Conor, but he's going to have to adjust to beat guys who don't crumble after a few hits.

Back