"Total Jiu jitsu" by Cesar Gracie

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Cash Bill 52, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this article before. Cesar addresses some of the issues that have been discussed here lately. I like to think that Cesar is promoting the concepts laid out by one of his idols; Rolls.

Total Jiujitsu
    By Cesar Gracie

What is the fundamental concept of jiu-jitsu? Is it the embodiment of an academy that trains strictly for the glory of victory at a tournament? Some would think it's the doctrine of a school that trains solely for victory in the cage or ring, at the expense of negating all other elements, including self defense and gi training.

Monetary issues seem to play a key role on where a school places its direction and philosophical leanings. If the jiu-jitsu instructor's forte is in gi competitions, you can expect that his student base will follow his lead. The same applies to gi-less submission fighting and MMA. If a school focuses all of it

2. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Interesting stuff. I've always have a ton of respect for Cesar and his teaching abilities. He's produced students that are world class in both sport and MMA.

I wonder who he has in mind, or what academies he's talking about with this "total jiu jitsu" thing. Like, I wonder what he's been observing that suggests this is a trend.

3. Cojofl

Cojofl Brown Belt

Nice read. This is, to an extent, what Rickson was talking about in that 30% article,

4. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

5. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Great read, thanks for sharing.

6. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Man, you have no idea how relieving it is (for me, a fan of "complete jiu jitsu ) to read an article like that.

7. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Well, I know that he had a fall out with different family members over the years. I try to avoid all the politics. I am just glad that I have access to a smorgasbord of strategies, techniques, philosophies, training partners and instructors.

8. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Cool, man. I am glad. Our school is filled with wrestlers, boxers, and Muay thai guys. I try to learn form all of them.

I was told that "jujitsu" once encompassed all fighting systems. I think our school is heading that way. Jake Shields calls his style, "American Jiu jitsu". It makes sense to me. The sport/art/self defense system must evolve to stay relevant.

9. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

The beauty of BJJ is that it always has. From Maeda's judo, to the jiu jitsu that the original Gracie brothers practices, to the wrestling and sambo that Rolls introduced, to the modern hybrid style of bjj where practitioners train elements of wrestling, judo, etc, as parts of the bjj curriculum. BJJ's roots are as a hybrid, evolving grappling art, incorporating what works and discarding what doesn't.

10. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

I think this is an important part of bjj history that everyone should know. Is this in the FAQ? I think it should be.

Bruce Lee would be proud!:icon_chee

11. SamuraiBlack

SamuraiBlack Orange Belt

Great read, I'm on board with the Total Jiu Jitsu concept.

12. teamcarvalho

teamcarvalho Green Belt

We are starting to see more and more threads on this type of topic....I am glad:D

13. JNick

JNick Orange Belt

Wise man.

14. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

I had a feeling you would like it...

We needed to upgrade the level of threads here!

15. Mike Piekarski

Mike Piekarski Blue Belt Professional Fighter

Very cool that Cesar Gracie has such an open mind. This explains the success of his fighters.

16. -Montanha-

-Montanha- Blue Belt

Cesar is turning BJJ into Jeet Kune Do

17. Jeff Goldblum

Jeff Goldblum Green Belt

man I really respect his stand and philosophy to BJJ.

He's got ball to go out on his own and ignore all the politics. This is why im not the biggest fan whole "Gracie family" at large. At times it seems all their family "rivalry" is more about it's more about oneupmanship and ego rather than teaching students BJJ.

This is why I really have respect for the ones who go out on their own to teach.. eg Calson, Rickson, Ceasar, Relson.. and not hide behind a 'franchised company logo.'

I've always thought why only Gi OR no Gi??? -why not both? .. Why can't you do self defense AND Sports BJJ. Your lucky to go to school that like T/S

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  18. Il Wop-O

Il Wop-O Green Belt

I had the pleasure of talking to Dino Costeas (Andrei Arlovski's BJJ coach/BB) at a Strikeforce weigh-ins - we talked about youth BJJ programs and how these kids are starting out learning EVERYTHING - BJJ, Judo, Greco-Roman, freestyle, many also learn boxing & muay thai - I personally think/hope that within a generation we will see the re-unification of the grappling arts to some extent, we will once again have "wrestling" as it was understood by the pre-Alexandrian Greeks.

It's very exciting!

19. gasmotorsports

gasmotorsports Orange Belt

As others have said thank you for a genuine, informative thread

20. -Montanha-

-Montanha- Blue Belt

Personally I think there was some luck involved here. Sure Cesar was influenced greatly by his Uncle Carlson[Total Jiu-jitsu]. But consider this. What if when he first opened his doors, and all that showed up were grappler types that show up to academies looking to roll and just learn Jiu-jitsu.

Cesar was the first Nor Cal academy back then. The only guys who even had Jiu-jitsu on their "Radar" were already martial artists and fighters back then. He had to accommodate us to keep every body interested. Steve Heath and his buddy Carlton would roll with sticks and practice knives. I introduced the first Cali instructor to the academy and we now have regular knife and stick fighting classes a couple of nights a week.

Cesar brought in Ralph and Ryan. Now there are a couple of scrappers. Total Jiu-jitsu, in my opinion was able to grow, greatly in part because of "who" showed up in those early days. Cesar didnt have to push his ideas, he had to bust his butt to stay ahead of and keep guys interested and growing. Gi jiu-jitsu was not enough for our bunch.

There is something in the water here in Nor Cal. The right instructor came along to provide a place for the right bunch of guys at the right time. Its been a Team effort from day one.

BTW, if Cesar didnt know something, he was right in there picking it up too. Wrestling, Judo, Sambo, Boxing or Muay Thai. Every body came.

Stockton, Santa Rosa, San Francisco, San Jose and other places provided crazies for that first bunch of classes in the little strip mall store with wall to wall mats. Many instructors today in all those towns are related from those first meetings/classes where guys drove miles and said "Wow", this jiu-jitsu is the shit..............but what if we add this too?

Iron sharpens Iron.