torque in my knees during turkish getups

notshayndavis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I really felt a lot of torque and pressure on my knees while doing turkish getups for the first time today. The problem was it seemed to be at pretty indiscriminate parts of the movement, and its such a complex one, I can't identify exactly where it is.

Any suggestions on what I can do to keep them more stable?

I've met several people who do Turkish get-ups within their routine. They enjoy the complexity of the movement and the unique difficulties with it. Because everyone gets up in a slightly different way, you obviously are not limited to one specific way of getting up with the weight other than keeping your arm fully extended above head with the weight.

A lot of people that have done this movement struggled with lower back tension and just continued trying to get up in a different way and eventually eliminated any issues with movement and were having no trouble with it.

So basically try different ways of getting up and positioning of your body as you get through the movement back up to your feet. Usually if I can try describing this right lol, you want to try getting to a sort of lunge position first with one knee on the ground and one knee at a 90 degree angle then just stand up. This isn't the standard way though it's just one way that I've seen many do the movement.

Honestly there are so many different ways to get up Turkishly that I can't say where the problem is. Is there a critical weight above which it hurts, or does it happen when you do it with no or very little weight?

Back