Toronto Muay Thai gyms (Rank them here)

AhuraMazda

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Its hard to find out about some gyms on the internet so hopefully this thread will help out people. If you have trained at any of these gyms please post some info about how you liked it, cost, is it more of a fitness gym rather then a competitive gym, ect.

Siam No.1
http://www.siamno1.com/index.html

Krudar
http://www.krudar.com/

York Muay Thai
http://www.yorkmuaythai.com/

TKMT
http://www.tkmt.ca/

Southside Muay Thai
http://www.southsidemuaythai.ca/

Warrior Muay Thai
http://www.warriormuaythai.com/index.html

Headrush Training Center
http://www.headrushtrainingcenter.ca/

Lanna MMA
http://www.lannamma.com/

Last edited:
Siam no.1 is probably one of the best muay thai clubs in the Americas far less Canada.

Siam no.1 is probably one of the best muay thai clubs in the Americas far less Canada.

Having lived in Toronto my whole life and knowing the reputation of this gym, this is 100% the right answer

I agree that Siam No. 1 has a great reputation and any of the fighters I've seen from there are solid, both in terms of technique and conditioning.

I trained at TKMT Downtown for about 5 years. It's a friendly environment and the prices are good. The are very welcoming to beginners and people who just want a good workout. On the other end they are constantly trying to build up their fight team and Ajahn Amnat is a great trainer.

Their one weakness is that they have had high trainer and fighter turnover which has led to a gap in their training. They also opened two new locations which spread out the trainers. If you are too experienced for the beginner stuff but not wanting to fight and spar all the time you pretty much get lost in the middle. I started training in 2008 and was pretty regular through the end of 2009, including doing an in-house exhibition fight. At that time once you moved out of the beginner classes into intermediate you were taught clinching, how to defend, offensive/defensive tactics etc. so you were somewhat prepared for sparring.

After a few years of on and off training I started regularly again in 2012 and that intermediate level was gone. You either did classes that were very basic or jumped right into sparring. I didn't have a lot of time to spar so I eventually got bored of the basic classes and stopped going. I remember talking to one newer trainee that wanted to try sparring but hadn't even been taught the proper way to block hooks after 6 months of training. IMO they became too focused on pad work in the non-fighter classes.

Not a huge fan of the goofy yellow/blue short colour system. But hey, the big boss (Ajahn Suchart) is cool with it, so what do I know.

You'll usually learn a lot more about the gym by visiting it, most offer free trial classes for some period of time. Try to figure out your own goals. Do you want to fight or just train for fun? Do you want to spar? Is it important that your classes are taught by professional/former fighters, or are you okay with amateur / senior students teaching you? When you're new and enthusiastic, everything seems awesome. However the novelty wears off, and you might not find your classes as interesting or that you're not getting what you want out of it.

A lot of the gyms you mentioned have opened 2nd locations, spreading thin the teachers. Some of the founder Kru's might only teach a couple classes a week. Some of those classes you might not even be able to attend because they're for advanced students, or at bad times.

Southside, p4p, warrior MT

Good gyms in Toronto but it's such a clicky vibe over there and all the gyms pretend to be friends when really they like hate each other.

I really have been so impressed with Warrior Muay Thai. This is based on having competing at one of their exhibitions, interacted with some of the fighters and head trainer, and watched their guys compete multiple times. Great competition team, great vibe, and very knowledgeable head coach.

How would you guys rank Southside? I live in Scarborough and it's the closest to me. I would just like to train for fun and eventually spar. There is also an MMA gym that opened in Malvern, literally down the street from me. I've heard nothing about it but the facility looks nice.

How would you guys rank Southside? I live in Scarborough and it's the closest to me. I would just like to train for fun and eventually spar. There is also an MMA gym that opened in Malvern, literally down the street from me. I've heard nothing about it but the facility looks nice.

I don't train at southside, but I've heard its legit. They took a shitload of medals and belts at the tba muay thai tournament last month.

The mma gym, is it mma world academy?

I don't train at southside, but I've heard its legit. They took a shitload of medals and belts at the tba muay thai tournament last month.

Based on seeing their guys spar and compete a handful of times, I can vouch for Southside. They are definitely another legitimate school. Canada, and Ontario specifically, is very fortunate to have a pretty active Muay Thai community. Tough to go wrong!

I fought a guy from Southside in the TBA finals last month, he was good.

The mma gym, is it mma world academy?

I've heard pretty good things about Southside, I think I may start training there soon, once my sprained wrist heals up. Seems like the couple comments on here rank the place as legit.

MMA World Academy sounds familiar, I remember "world" on the sign. lol. The one comment I had heard was that they didn't have very experienced instructors. That's when it first opened up though, and I've not heard anything since.

Anybody with any info on york muay thai?

I trained there for a few months while attending York. Enjoyed my time there. Kru Jen is a wonderful person.

Some may be chaffed by the format and "curriculum" of the gym, which is extremely beginning and fitness-crowd friendly. Like most Siam no 1 affiliates, the yellow and blue short system is in effect. You need to dedicate a significant amount of time there before "testing" for your blue shorts, at which point you are allowed to spar and participate in the more intense and competition-oriented fighter classes.

The day-to-day breakdown is very fitness heavy. Your class warm-up is about 45-50 minutes long, and a mix of calisthenics, shadowboxing, and jump-rope work. The class typically finishes up with pad work.

Very traditional style of Muay Thai. Go there to learn Muay Thai.

The schedule is nice - lots of classes offered, a technical sparring class, a number of S&C classes geared more towards economy of motion/strong postures and lift mechanics than grueling conditioning, and I believe they have (at least HAD) yoga.

The gym has a very friendly community and a strong family vibe.

TKMT is great for beginners and usually has a strong mix of male/females, but not a place I would go for serious training. Some of their trainers aren't very technical either, more there just to run a fitness class.

Siam No. 1 has a great reputation and their fighters are usually competitive at most of the events I've attended, but I wouldn't say they are head and shoulders above anyone. Same with Southside.

Headrush training centre (formerly Grant Brothers). I've been here for a few years and haven't done a lot of Muay Thai, but the guys from the gym usually do fairly well in comps. One of the main benefits is that the boxing instruction is awesome so the MT guys that cross-train get to work their hands a lot more than some other clubs. Lots of ammy fighters in the regular classes too so you get to work with decent guys who will help you out a lot. Classes are like 95% dudes so if you're looking to pick up chicks, this isn't the place to be. Not a meathead gym at all though.

TKMT is great for beginners and usually has a strong mix of male/females, but not a place I would go for serious training. Some of their trainers aren't very technical either, more there just to run a fitness class.

Siam No. 1 has a great reputation and their fighters are usually competitive at most of the events I've attended, but I wouldn't say they are head and shoulders above anyone. Same with Southside.

Headrush training centre (formerly Grant Brothers). I've been here for a few years and haven't done a lot of Muay Thai, but the guys from the gym usually do fairly well in comps. One of the main benefits is that the boxing instruction is awesome so the MT guys that cross-train get to work their hands a lot more than some other clubs. Lots of ammy fighters in the regular classes too so you get to work with decent guys who will help you out a lot. Classes are like 95% dudes so if you're looking to pick up chicks, this isn't the place to be. Not a meathead gym at all though.

For that, head to tkmt, the place is like 75% broads.

For that, head to tkmt, the place is like 75% broads.
ya i tried a class their and it had boxercise written all over it. Good place to meet chicks tho.

I also tried and enjoyed headrush. Teachings were legit. 99% guys. More dutch style rather then traditional muay thai. Impressive gym.

I trained there for a few months while attending York. Enjoyed my time there. Kru Jen is a wonderful person.

Some may be chaffed by the format and "curriculum" of the gym, which is extremely beginning and fitness-crowd friendly. Like most Siam no 1 affiliates, the yellow and blue short system is in effect. You need to dedicate a significant amount of time there before "testing" for your blue shorts, at which point you are allowed to spar and participate in the more intense and competition-oriented fighter classes.

The day-to-day breakdown is very fitness heavy. Your class warm-up is about 45-50 minutes long, and a mix of calisthenics, shadowboxing, and jump-rope work. The class typically finishes up with pad work.

Very traditional style of Muay Thai. Go there to learn Muay Thai.

The schedule is nice - lots of classes offered, a technical sparring class, a number of S&C classes geared more towards economy of motion/strong postures and lift mechanics than grueling conditioning, and I believe they have (at least HAD) yoga.

The gym has a very friendly community and a strong family vibe.

Hi I lived in BC , Victoria but sadly wasn

Back