torn meniscus

chillfi

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
so while training about a month ago i popped my knee. The pain was not that bad at first but later that night i couldnt even bend my leg. i have not rolled in a month and my knee is alot better. i have full mobility but it pops and it hurts when i put pressure on it (when im on my knees as if i was in someones guard). i have been led to belive that i might have torn my meniscus. has anyone had this problem? if so, how long untill recovery?
thanks

Got one right now, heading back to doctor tomorrow (after getting MRI a few days ago) to find out what needs to be done.

Yeah I tore my meniscus a few years ago; usually locked up on me everytime I twisted my knee a certain way, the kind of way you would twist it to finish a triangle. I ended up getting arthroscopic surgery and was back in a matter of a few weeks

yeah... I've torn my meniscus in both knees. Unfortunately, if that's what it is, it requires surgery.

I'm over-simplifying, but there's basically 2 types of tears. One where enough blood reaches the tear so it can be repaired. And one where it can't be repaired and needs to be removed. Both require arthroscopic surgery.

There's pros and cons for both type - my tears were both irreparable.
Meniscus Repair
Pro: When it's all over... you're almost as good as new.
Con: Long recovery time. Get used to hobbling around on crutches.

Meniscus Removal
Pro: You'll be walking within the week and can probably go back to train whenever you feel comfortable enough.
Con: Hello to arthritis for the rest of your life. Nothing like bone-on-bone action!

My wife just had hers repaired last week - 6 weeks in a full leg brace & on crutches.

Meniscus Removal
Pro: You'll be walking within the week and can probably go back to train whenever you feel comfortable enough.
Con: Hello to arthritis for the rest of your life. Nothing like bone-on-bone action!

Sorry to hear about your knees dude! But the above just cracked me up, just how you "said" it :icon_lol:

If you continue training through it, see it as a great chance to work on your HG.

knee injuries like that is one of the worst injuries ever. You can't train for at least 4 months depending on the damage of the knee. If you want your knee 100% ok, then wait until a year. But the worst is if you re-tear any ligaments on the knee. That's SUCKS

not only could you have torn your meniscus, but depending on the mechanism of injury, you may have also caused damage to your MCL or ACL (the unhappy triad).

hope you don't have any metal in your body, cuz its time for an EM ARE AYE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yo dont sweat it unless the doctor tells you to.
If it is meniscus the surgery is quick and painless generally. No scar, and you can walk out of the surgery. My right knee took 3 weeks exactly til I was rolling again and my left knee was 2 weeks to the day. Dont rush it, just rest it and chill and you will be as good as new.
Also if the doc gives you the option between repair and shaving it off, shave it off. Repair doesnt work for athletes. When they say itll go back to normal, that is for normal activities, not for combat martial arts. Jiu jitsu is a lot of stress on the knee, chop that shit off

I had a small vertical tear, no biggie once they figured out what it was. Its not all doom and gloom.

Man screw that meniscus shit. I have at least a grade I sprain of my UCL (ulnar collateral ligament) which is on the medial part of your elbow. Ever heard of Tommie JOhn Surgery for pitchers? Thats what happens when you get a grade III blowout.

Just a grade I sprain is annoying as hell. looks like i am out up to 8 freakin weeks. Its been 2 weeks and doesnt feel any better. The worse part? the shit didnt even hurt when it happened or afterwards. Nor does it really hurt now except for the muscles are inflammed and ligament sore as hell.

BUT you can't risk blowing it out cause then you are out 1 1/2 year plus.

Don't get discouraged before you see a Doc. I had a torn meniscus and ended up not even needing surgery. 20 minutes on a stationary bike a day and some Physio and I was good to go in about 3 weeks. If it is torn, it could be a minor tear like I had.

Yo dont sweat it unless the doctor tells you to.
If it is meniscus the surgery is quick and painless generally. No scar, and you can walk out of the surgery. My right knee took 3 weeks exactly til I was rolling again and my left knee was 2 weeks to the day. Dont rush it, just rest it and chill and you will be as good as new.
Also if the doc gives you the option between repair and shaving it off, shave it off. Repair doesnt work for athletes. When they say itll go back to normal, that is for normal activities, not for combat martial arts. Jiu jitsu is a lot of stress on the knee, chop that shit off

This is correct.

My sports doctor is a grappler and boxer herself, and she said she's dealt with a lot of people that got partial removals (What kenny calls "shaving off") and they were back to training in a couple of weeks.

Poppa Rotzee (SP?) that posts here had his done a few months ago and was back to light training in a week or two, and his removal was a bit larger than most.

Yeah go see a doc. If it is meniscus you'll be back training in 6 or less weeks and 100% pretty shortly after. Technology is amazing these days.

Man screw that meniscus shit. I have at least a grade I sprain of my UCL (ulnar collateral ligament) which is on the medial part of your elbow. Ever heard of Tommie JOhn Surgery for pitchers? Thats what happens when you get a grade III blowout.

Just a grade I sprain is annoying as hell. looks like i am out up to 8 freakin weeks. Its been 2 weeks and doesnt feel any better. The worse part? the shit didnt even hurt when it happened or afterwards. Nor does it really hurt now except for the muscles are inflammed and ligament sore as hell.

BUT you can't risk blowing it out cause then you are out 1 1/2 year plus.

I just want everyone to take a moment and appreciate this dude, who completely ignored what the thread was about, as well as the discussion at hand and wrote two paragraphs about himself for absolutely no reason at all. Wow.

... just be hard-core like one of my old training partners. He goes in for what you guys call a "shave off". I expect not to see 'em for a while, but very next day he's there. Not on crutches, not to watch practice... hobbling onto the mat and says "Go really easy, I just want to work some of the techniques."

Just had my surgery yesterday. Doc told me he wouldn't know if it was repairable until he went in there. (He said he couldn't tell from the MRI, although I think he was pretty sure.)

When I woke up I didn't have the brace on so I figured it wasn't repairable. Sure enough Doc told me it couldn't be repaired so he did a nice shaving. He told me it could pretty much bear the weight of walking right away. I'll most likely be back on the mat within the month. The good thing is, I don't have to worry about ripping open any kind of repair. The bad thing, I'll be living with knee pain from a very young age.

Don't worry about it, I got my first meniscus removal 10 years ago and it doesn't bother me at all. Who knows when we're retirement age though.

Back