Topeka Cop Shoots Family Dog ( Body Cam Video)

I understand why people think this but...First we are assuming that the dog was in "full attack mode" Most pit bulls are not killers that will rip you apart just for entering their yard. Its just not true. Propaganda from the uninformed soccer mom anti pit bull groups who know nothing about dog behavior. He should have knocked on the door, He should not have had his gun drawn for an alarm in a nice neighborhood in the middle of the day. He could have just as easily shot a child playing in the yard. .
didnt you see the treadmill and pulling harnesses in the backyard? That old lady was breeding fighters. She was gangsta as f.

Yup. But pussies who are afraid of dogs dont wanna hear that all it would have taken was a swift kick, a shot into the grass to scare it,a taser, a shot with a baton. Or even just swung the baton and would have scared it away.

I understand why people think this but...First we are assuming that the dog was in "full attack mode" Most pit bulls are not killers that will rip you apart just for entering their yard. Its just not true. Propaganda from the uninformed soccer mom anti pit bull groups who know nothing about dog behavior. He should have knocked on the door, He should not have had his gun drawn for an alarm in a nice neighborhood in the middle of the day. He could have just as easily shot a child playing in the yard. These house alarms are falsely set off ALL the time. Its happened to me like 5 times :icon_chee. Each time he calmly pulled up and walked to my door. No gun drawn, no animals murderd. Its a lack of training for this situation I blame. Cops cant just enter peoples yards without letting anyone know and killing peoples dogs. Thats what any dog does if a stranger enters his yard, he runs over to investigate. He shouldnt be killed for doing his job.

This is all in hindsight. What if there was a burglary, or worse, and the judge was in danger. If these situations were diffused by simply ringing the doorbell, then that would be standard procedure. Maybe it should be standard procedure, I don't know, but it's not what cops do. Likely the same reason they don't show up with sirens blaring to a silent alarm call.

The worse part is how the poor lady arrives right after to find her dog dead and starts crying. That's fucked up.

Some cops are just pussies. A lot of dogs are aggressive, 99% of the time it's just show and they won't hurt you. It would be a lie to say that there was 0 chance of getting bitten but there was a high chance that the dog would have backed down.

I always cite this as what the cop should have done in an ideal world:

[YT]watch?v=qzcLXqP2WVA[/YT]

so the cop should have just allowed the dog to bit him?

Knock on the front door. Were talking a rich neighborhood in the middle of the day. False alarms happen 10x more than an actual daytime break in. He should know that. Hit the dog with your baton. Problem solved. The cop wasnt thrown in a pit with a blood thirsty hell hound, it was an old ladies companion who prob did nothing but lay with the old lady all day. How about a taser ? I still say shoot one shot into the grass next to the dog. No one gets hurt. Many things he could have done better.

thats a nasty video that i shouldn't have watched.

Fuqing actually ruined my day. Gotta go to the gym and hit the bag for awhile wishing it was that pussy cop.

That's tragic and very, very sad. But it's not the worst case of police misconduct.

These cops do need to be better trained on nonlethal means to the point of it being as instinctual as grabbing your gun. It's understandable when you're trained to pull and are in that split-second panic of having a dog running at you. But still very sad.
Yup. The go to response is murder. Oh the guy you pulled over is driving away ? Dont waste time getting in your car and chasing him, just put one in his coconut and be done with it. Dog in his own yard startles you ? Well dont use any of the many non lethal options or even hop over a fence like the rest of the world would do, just blow its fuqing brains out.

Where did you get that opinion? That is likely untrue. Most canines would recoil and a pitbull is no different. Finding a dog that will fight and not flight when the shit goes down is a very difficult task. Look into the US military and their selection process for the war dog. Upfront aggression does not equal fearlessness.

Many people just dont realize this. The media has created this image of hell hounds ripping peoples body parts off at the drop of a dime. I for one would rather take the chance of getting bit then have the murder of someones dog on my hands. But im not a pussy cop either so...

Having emptied my bowels I watched rest of the video and it does appear that the yard is not fenced in any way.

didnt you see the treadmill and pulling harnesses in the backyard? That old lady was breeding fighters. She was gangsta as f.

See and here I thought she was just training for the next spartan race. Go figure.

Or, you know, be more cognizant of the fact that when you enter the territory of an animal trained to guard a private citizen, you should be prepared to dispose of said animal in a nonfatal way.

This is the problem. They still dont have a solution for when they enter a yard that has a dog other than shooting it. Shooting the dog has become the accepted protocol. One of these homeowners is going to see their dog laying in a pool of blood and grab his own gun and turn it on the cops. Then what ? Guy sees his dog killed, goes insane and shoots cop. I wonder what kind of defense for the homeowner there would be if any. I know if it were me I would not be sane at that moment.

Makes me wonder what would have happened if a kid was walking there instead of a cop

If I'm wrong, and I hope I am, then these situations could be easily handled by shooting up in the air. The problem is that you can't simply fire willy-nilly without aiming at a target, it's not protocol. You either shoot the dog or you don't shoot at all.

Pretty sure many are arguing just that, the gun shouldn't be the first resort, especially if you go into someone's back yard (regardless if you're going to check on an alarm, police should understand some people have pets). Ask anyone who actually works outside, if they go to a client's home and just walk in the back yard (even though it's their job to be there), if a dog is running about it's usually protocol to call the person and make sure of the situation. Only the police can get away with going into someone's backyard and shooting their dog, because they were checking on a call. Literally anyone else would be tried and sued into oblivion for shooting someone's dog because they were in THEIR backyard, and the dog came at them, doing it's job.

Happened within a split second, I understand mistakes happen, etc etc. But when would a cop actually be held liable for shooting someone's pet?

"Oh uh, so an alarm went off, so I came to check on your safety....killed your dog, my bad."

Or, you know, be more cognizant of the fact that when you enter the territory of an animal trained to guard a private citizen, you should be prepared to dispose of said animal in a nonfatal way.

Or, you know, people could choose between having a guardian dog and an alarm system made to make policemen come to their places.

When a cop shoots a dog, you get both the "why didn't he shoot him in the leg" type of people along with the irrational dog lovers to get a double dose of stupid.

lol @ "why didn't he hit the dog with a baton"

Or, you know, people could choose between having a guardian dog and an alarm system made to make policemen come to their places.

A person's choice and rights shouldn't be dictated based on how a cop might react when showing up lol. This is 'Murica, land of the free. Love it or leave it.

This is all in hindsight. What if there was a burglary, or worse, and the judge was in danger. If these situations were diffused by simply ringing the doorbell, then that would be standard procedure. Maybe it should be standard procedure, I don't know, but it's not what cops do. Likely the same reason they don't show up with sirens blaring to a silent alarm call.

Then he should have waited for backup if he felt fearful enough to have his gun drawn. I realize its not so cut and dry but jeez this is happening to often. Cops go to serve warrant...shoot dog. Cops go to investigate alarm...shoot dog. Its not ok for them to say "well he ran at me" anymore. There have been enough situations where we should be coming up with solutions already. Dogs can be scared away so easily in the large majority of situations but people just dont realize that. They are territorial and will put on a show,but usually will turn and run when challenged. And I think its his responsibility to take the steps necessary to ensure hes not killing some persons dog for no reason other than that he got scared by it. A little dog specific training would go a long way. I seem to remember one of these stories happening and a dog activist group or something offered to train the cops for free on how to handle those situations but the cops turned the offer down.

Pretty sure many are arguing just that, the gun shouldn't be the first resort, especially if you go into someone's back yard (regardless if you're going to check on an alarm, police should understand some people have pets). Ask anyone who actually works outside, if they go to a client's home and just walk in the back yard (even though it's their job to be there), if a dog is running about it's usually protocol to call the person and make sure of the situation. Only the police can get away with going into someone's backyard and shooting their dog, because they were checking on a call. Literally anyone else would be tried and sued into oblivion for shooting someone's dog because they were in THEIR backyard, and the dog came at them, doing it's job.

Happened within a split second, I understand mistakes happen, etc etc. But when would a cop actually be held liable for shooting someone's pet?

"Oh uh, so an alarm went off, so I came to check on your safety....killed your dog, my bad."

I sympathize but people are not being realistic. We can't just look back in hindsight and erase all protocol once we know that there was no danger, and it was a false alarm. It's also pretty obvious that the dog is charging the cop and does not have good intentions, there's no need to pretend otherwise.

With all that said, the solution should be that the alarm company alerts the cops that there is a dog present, the fact that they don't is pretty daft.

When I was 12 I was attacked by an American Bulldog or some similar dog, while walking my cousins dog. He nearly tore our dog to shreds, you can't just let a dog grab you just to see what happens next, once you're in the situation the alternatives are few. Protocol should be different, but given that they are as what they are, it's hard to blame anyone.

It IS ok for them to say "well it charged me." A dog charging you is similar to someone charging you with a weapon as the dog can do damage quite quickly. Tasers aren't for people/animals that are charging you. Why? Tasers can miss the mark, it may not attach properly and even if it attaches, there is no guarantee it will stop target.

Batons are also not for charging threats as it's obviously dangerous to engage in close combat with dangerous targets charging you.

Also, a lot of tards ITT are acting like the cop knew the dog was there before entering the backyard. Clearly he didn't know until it was already charging him, goofballs.

Then he should have waited for backup if he felt fearful enough to have his gun drawn. I realize its not so cut and dry but jeez this is happening to often. Cops go to serve warrant...shoot dog. Cops go to investigate alarm...shoot dog. Its not ok for them to say "well he ran at me" anymore. There have been enough situations where we should be coming up with solutions already. Dogs can be scared away so easily in the large majority of situations but people just dont realize that. They are territorial and will put on a show,but usually will turn and run when challenged. And I think its his responsibility to take the steps necessary to ensure hes not killing some persons dog for no reason other than that he got scared by it. A little dog specific training would go a long way. I seem to remember one of these stories happening and a dog activist group or something offered to train the cops for free on how to handle those situations but the cops turned the offer down.

You're going to get yourself badly hurt or worse letting the dog run up on you with the premise that their aggression is only a myth. Plus, the cop didn't even know if the coast was clear yet. Given that he's already in that situation, shooting the dog, as crappy as it is, is not the worst. Tasing him is better, but doing nothing is just the nut low option.

I always cite this as what the cop should have done in an ideal world:

[YT]watch?v=qzcLXqP2WVA[/YT]

Exactly. That cop didnt go into pussy panic mode and start shooting. I think a stun gun would be better than the taser. Tasers can miss. Stun gun is more up close and personal though. Some people are just irrationally afraid of dogs and will overreact every time because of it.

Back