Topboxer 12oz Boxing Gloves

Woldog

SherGOAT
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
This is the review of the gloves I had made for my birthday 8 months ago. As many of you know I do not like to post reviews without adequate use when it comes to gloves. (Headguards I'll post after 2 or 3 sparring sessions)
As always this review is 100% my opinion and not influenced in anyway by @topboxer11 or another entity. I paid full price for these gloves.

Feel/Fit – Topboxers gloves feel great to wear and to train in, when I first got the gloves (they are 12oz) they felt almost too small for my hands with wraps on, with radius wraps on they were uncomfortable (I will come back to this later) after a few weeks and as I started to break them in they became more and more comfortable I could feel them molding to my hands and I enjoyed wearing them with and without wraps. The only real gripe I had was the slit of the gloves felt like it sat a bit high up on my palm, nothing to phone home about but it just felt slightly strange to me (Possibly something to do with the gloves being 12oz).
Now the Radius wraps issue I mentioned before, this was an issue at the start as I told Muhammad that I had a pre-existing hand injury he tailored the gloves for that issue, however after I organized the gloves I bought a pair of radius wraps and they made the glove feel far too small, this issue and I can’t stress this enough WENT AWAY after two or three weeks of use as I broke the gloves in. Now I can wear the gloves with radius wraps and have no issues.
41656650_436460110210798_612477605018337280_n.jpg 41758139_277990893035086_6550813613123174400_n.jpg 41806118_425005831357014_1730869994926899200_n.jpg

The gloves are form fitting, though the wrist support is nowhere near the level of say Fairtex BGV9s its not terrible as for me personally I have no issues with my wrists and couldn’t careless what kind of wrist support they have. But for others this may be an issue if they purchase the standard gloves PLEASE bear in mind that If you emphasize wrist support and padding in your order Topboxer will accommodate.

The protection of your hands is phenomenal, I won’t say they’re the next Winnings and they certainly wouldn’t protect your hands as say a BGV9 would but for the cost and customization you can get the gloves provide more than adequate protection (I previously had a pair of gloves made for a friend who is the current heavyweight champion of Australia, his gloves are now a year old and he still uses them every day and rates them as the best gloves he has ever owned.)
Please bear in mind that everything in a Topboxer glove is optional and my glove was standard aside from the padding I chose, So should you need more wrist support he can accommodate.
Whereas the protection while I rate them under my BGV9s you have to remember that my BGV9’s are 16oz and these are 12oz gloves unfortunately I do not currently own another pair of 12oz gloves to compare them to. Apples and oranges here, For the padding customization options I would say Topboxer could easily make a glove that could be just as protective as the BGV9. However I did not ask for that in this instance. Again Topboxer can create gloves to the weight that you need, however for a glove at 12oz he was quite restricted with how much padding he could add, this is of my design not his.
41647160_333532937389920_898266111873646592_n.jpg

Crafting – Topboxer has built his reputation by hand crafting all the gloves he makes, he is able to tailor gloves to suit any specifications (Though weight can come in to factor when adding say a bigger compartment) after 8 months of fairly solid use, they’ve held up very well, no stitching has popped loose and the padding feels great. I only use these for bag and pad work. The metallic colours are holding up well though I would imagine if I made the main striking area of the glove metallic it would have faded/flaked away by now (Which will happen to near any brand). As for the weight of the gloves, I paid for 12oz and I received 12.42oz and 12.30oz. As far as gloves go this is as close to perfect as you will receive (I have had Cleto Reyes gloves that were 3oz higher than what I paid for.)

Rating – For the price, customization and the fact they are being hand made for you I would say they are the best quality custom gloves I have ever used (My UMA Faceguard is coming soon so I’ll be sure to do a review about it and perhaps try some UMA Custom gloves). When compared to some of the bigger brands Topboxer has some flaws but you must remember this is a small operation and every glove is hand crafted by one man who is honing his craft everyday and becoming better and better. As Muhammad continues to develop and hone his craft I have 100% intention to continue to have gloves made by Topboxer and to see how the evolution of his product goes.
For now the Fairtex BGV9 remains my favorite workhorse glove, but Topboxer is catching up and in a few months when I order my next pair of gloves I look forward to comparing what a year has done in terms of his gloves developing their own personality and their own brand. Remember, Grant, Winning, Cleto all started off emulating another style of glove, Topboxer has emulated Winning and as time goes on he will make changes to his gloves that may effect the design and style of his gloves eventually should he stand the test of time Topboxer will be as easily identifiable as Grant or Cleto are just by looking at their shape.

8.5/10. Solid all round gloves

Pros - Price, customization, fit/feel, handmade, great crafting, reasonable break in period.
Cons - Wrist support is average on the standard glove but if needed you can tailor the support to your needs.
Payment - Topboxer accepts Paypal and most payment types, please ask him before commencing an order to see if he can accommodate the payment method you wish to use.

He can create, gloves, headguards, pads, shoes, practically anything fight related he can do.

Topboxer has created gloves for Khabib, Holly Holmes, Jessica Rose (Jessy Jess), Michelle Waterson (Karate Hottie), Cub Swanson and numerous other professional fighters.
You can view them and his other creations here https://www.instagram.com/topboxerboxing/?hl=en

To get your own Topboxer gloves you can email him here [email protected]

Last edited:
Nice one mate! I have wrist issues so I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on the standard maroon winning clones on eBay. I may still do so, but I'll quiz him about wrist support thanks to you.
The problem with owning BGV9s is they're a tough act to follow, especially for the price. I'm having trouble finding sparring gloves of comparable quality and price...

Nice one mate! I have wrist issues so I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on the standard maroon winning clones on eBay. I may still do so, but I'll quiz him about wrist support thanks to you.
The problem with owning BGV9s is they're a tough act to follow, especially for the price. I'm having trouble finding sparring gloves of comparable quality and price...

The TopBoxer gloves I had a few years ago had amazing wrist support. The wrist strap was 4" wide and it was very similar to the BGV9 in therms of stiffness.

The TopBoxer gloves I had a few years ago had amazing wrist support. The wrist strap was 4" wide and it was very similar to the BGV9 in therms of stiffness.
At the weight I needed the gloves the wrist support would have been sacrificed. I don't have any issues with my wrists and in 15 years of boxing I've never had issues with them. I'm not concerned but for some people they will need 14 or 16oz gloves and emphasize wrist support which Topboxer will accommodate to their needs.

Best bet would be to get 16oz gloves and ask for the best wrist support he can give you, You won't be disappointed.

At the weight I needed the gloves the wrist support would have been sacrificed. I don't have any issues with my wrists and in 15 years of boxing I've never had issues with them. I'm not concerned but for some people they will need 14 or 16oz gloves and emphasize wrist support which Topboxer will accommodate to their needs.

Mine were 16oz. I tend to like less stiff wrist support on my gloves.

For me the key to good wrist support, and this is wear BGV9s nail it, is in the foam used. I've bought gloves and the two palm side pockets that run along either side of the split were filled with loose soft foam. It always needs to be a one piece firm foam imo.

Thanks for the review, Woldog! How is the thumb compared to the BGV6 / BGV9 ?

Thanks for the review, Woldog! How is the thumb compared to the BGV6 / BGV9 ?

I have had no issue with the thumb on either glove. I have rather long fingers and my thumb doesn't feel compressed into the thumb like on a lot of gloves. @topboxer11 can add longer thumbs if you need.

I have had no issue with the thumb on either glove. I have rather long fingers and my thumb doesn't feel compressed into the thumb like on a lot of gloves. @topboxer11 can add longer thumbs if you need.

Good to know. I think the thumb on the is BGV6 perfect, but for some reason I never fail to slam my thumb on the bags when the using the BGV9 (12 oz).

When compared to some of the bigger brands Topboxer has some flaws

Are you just referring to the wrist support, or is anything else wrong?

For now the Fairtex BGV9 remains my favorite workhorse glove

How does the knuckle padding on the Topboxer compare to the BGV9? Is the shock absorption any better? Did you get any type of special padding to compensate for your hand injury?

when I order my next pair of gloves I look forward to comparing what a year has done in terms of his gloves developing their own personality and their own brand.

Do you intend to get any design customization made to the next glove you order, or will you stick with the stock model?

Good to know. I think the thumb on the is BGV6 perfect, but for some reason I never fail to slam my thumb on the bags when the using the BGV9 (12 oz).
I have never had that issue on either the BGV6 or the BGV9 hahah

Are you just referring to the wrist support, or is anything else wrong?
Mostly, he is a one man operation so he may make mistakes from time to time but will always fix any issue.

How does the knuckle padding on the Topboxer compare to the BGV9? Is the shock absorption any better? Did you get any type of special padding to compensate for your hand injury?
I got medium firm padding, I can't really comment on that because my BGV9's are 16oz and my TB's are 12oz.

Do you intend to get any design customization made to the next glove you order, or will you stick with the stock model?

I'll probably just change the colours again.

Dammit!!! I love the sound of these gloves and I still need 16oz gloves.
There are so many options and I keep changing my mind on colour scheme etc.
How long from order to delivery?

Dammit!!! I love the sound of these gloves and I still need 16oz gloves.
There are so many options and I keep changing my mind on colour scheme etc.
How long from order to delivery?

between 3 - 8 weeks depending on how busy he is.

BGV9s are tough as rocks, or at least their old ones were. I know they did some kind of update to them in the last few years. If they're the same as they used to be, then those winning clones are going to feel like pillows in comparison. You might want to ask for something with stiffer padding all-around.

Hey mate I also might add that the Fairtex BGV6 have good wrist support (Ignore the weird looking strap it works just fine). So they may be a good option for your sparring gloves. I'll have a look at mine when I get home from work and compare their wrist support to my BGV9's.

Hey mate I also might add that the Fairtex BGV6 have good wrist support (Ignore the weird looking strap it works just fine). So they may be a good option for your sparring gloves. I'll have a look at mine when I get home from work and compare their wrist support to my BGV9's.

I read somewhere here that the padding was rubbish. What you make of it?
They have an odd shape... More suited to Muay Thai?
I couldn't find them in 16oz either.

Last edited:
I read somewhere here that the padding was rubbish. What you make of it?
They have an odd shape... More suited to Muay Thai?
I couldn't find them in 16oz either.

The people who say the padding is rubbish are the people who don't understand that they are made strictly for sparring, they should never be used on a bag which is why the padding broke down for some people. I've had mine for over a year and they're going strong.

They have a narrower profile than the BGV9, to me they are a hybrid between mexican style and grant style. Ebay is where I got mine.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/fairtex-bgv6-bgv9-comparison.3570447/

The people who say the padding is rubbish are the people who don't understand that they are made strictly for sparring, they should never be used on a bag which is why the padding broke down for some people. I've had mine for over a year and they're going strong.

They have a narrower profile than the BGV9, to me they are a hybrid between mexican style and grant style. Ebay is where I got mine.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/fairtex-bgv6-bgv9-comparison.3570447/

Even you criticise the padding :p And yours are 14s so I'm right in thinking they don't do 16s I guess.

Even you criticise the padding :p And yours are 14s so I'm right in thinking they don't do 16s I guess.
They are available almost everywhere that sell Fairtex gear at 16oz and often in various colours, however yellow with black palm seems to be the most common version on ebay.

I only criticism the padding because before they are fully broken in the padding over the knuckles was rather hard, and at the time of buying them I didn't know I had a piece of bone poking through my knuckle tendon hahaha. I wouldn't say there is much wrong with them if you have no existing hand injury and can wait for them to become broken in.

Back