Top Ten w/ Face Shield...

K

Kaliree

This looks like great headgear that would also protect my face. I have seen reviews on the avantegarde w/o the face shield, but has anyone used the face shield? If I'm handing out that kind of cash, I want a shield that will last (and protect) as well as headgear.

Headgear

Face Shield

It looks like the chin protection would be pretty good with the competition headgear, but the training version (the one I'm looking at) doesn't look like it has as much, but it might be the angle. Does anyone know for sure? I don't want to take a knee to the chin under my shiny face guard, just to find the my unprotected jaw is split down the center.

The top ten headgear is supposed to be phenomenal. I plan on doing some 100% sparring, and that is the only gear that protects the entire skull (top padding included, for the nasty ax kicks). The face guard would be good because it can be removed when I want to practice taking a little punishment to the face, but it is there so I don't have to when we're throwing full force knees to the face from a Thai clinch. That's why. :) Though I much prefer the price of your suggested headgear.

The top ten headgear is supposed to be phenomenal. I plan on doing some 100% sparring, and that is the only gear that protects the entire skull (top padding included, for the nasty ax kicks). The face guard would be good because it can be removed when I want to practice taking a little punishment to the face, but it is there so I don't have to when we're throwing full force knees to the face from a Thai clinch. That's why. :) Though I much prefer the price of your suggested headgear.

I use the Top-Ten Avant Guard Training Headgear and would recommend it.

I put up a full review here:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=592605

If you are really worried, there is one older Top-Ten model with chin protection:
http://www.toptencanada.com/store/shopping.php?category=7&sub=5&item=133&subitem=0063-S-C
Totiro-USA might be able to get it by special order.

I don't know how effective that little bit of padding on the chin would be, but, as you mentioned, it might lessen the chance of a cut. I rely on a good, custom, mouth guard to protect me from shots to the jaw.

Unfortunately, I have never used nor seen the face cage firs hand, but Top-Ten is well known for making solid gear.

ummm...in case you didn't know headgear is meant more for preventing cuts than totally reducing trauma. There is a reason why thai fighters don't spar knees real hard and spar for technique instead, it's safer and your body can only take so much abuse. The harder you spar, the more you are going to get injured. There is a difference between sparring hard and sparring smart. More people should learn the difference.

Back