Top Ten Most Important BJJ Techniques

Got this off of Graciemag a few years back:

• The 20 fundamental moves of Jiu-Jitsu – Part 1
  • Experienced black belts speak of the moves that every good fighter must master
  • First published July, 2006 (GM #112)

Which is the most important move for winning a Jiu-Jitsu fight? Whatever your answer might be, you’d better save it for yourself, or you run the risk of generating lifelong controversy. Conscious of that, GRACIE Magazine didn’t try to pick only one among the vast array in the gentle art's repertory. We’ve rather decided to list the 20 fundamental moves for you to enhance your game, leaving to respected black belts the mission of commenting on each of them, stressing the importance and virtues of every single one, and keeping in mind the measures that must be taken so as to yield the desired effect.

As we were preoccupied with detailing all of the chosen techniques, we had to divide this article in two. The first five the reader can enjoy in the following paragraphs, whereas the others are to appear in the following months.

1. Armbar from the closed guard by Ricardo Cachorr

Last edited:
Part 2
For part two of the article that lists the 20 fundamental moves of Jiu-Jitsu our obligation was to not let the level drop down, and with the help of Rodrigo Comprido, Alexandre Ribeiro, Marcio

Part 3
With the help of Royler Gracie, Roberto Gordo Correa, Ronaldo Jacare, Leozinho Vieira and Ze Mario Sperry here you have the third part of our special series
First published September, 2006 (GM #114)

11. Armbar from the mount by Royler Gracie

Part 4
Go look it up in your collection. It will be hard to find any series of articles that features more outstanding fighters than this one. We have gotten to the fourth part with the sensation of a job well done as we looked, at the source, for opinions about 20 fundamental moves in Jiu-Jitsu. For the closing, we have resorted to black-belts Marcio Feitosa, Vinicius Draculino, Pedro Valente, Gabriel Napao and Eduardo Telles to explain some of their secrets. You can check out the result in the following pages. Good training, and see you at our next special series.
First published Octobe, 2006 (GM #115)

16. Choke from the guard by Pedro Valente

Posture, Posture, Posture, Posture, Posture, Posture, Posture, Posture, Posture, Posture.

What's the difference between hip escape and shrimping? In my mind they were the same. I'm obviously new to the game.

In the words of Dave Camarillo "Shrimping makes me think of food... I'm in a fight... It's a hip escape"

It's impossible to choose the most important 10, so I'll chose just 5. In order, with #1 being the most important:

5. The armbar: Whether from the guard, mount sidecontrol, northsouth, or even from half guard(yes, it's possible), the armbar is one of the most well known submissions, even to uneducated and casual fight fans. More fights that end in submission in MMA end via the armbar due to its simplicity and effectiveness. Sweeps and transitions to other submissions like the triangle and omoplata are available from the armbar.

4. The mount: One of the most powerful, if not the most powerful position in all of grappling and MMA. With the ability to safely strike your opponent while also having many submissions at your disposal, the mount, as well as it's varients, such as the S-mount and triple mount, is one of the most important BJJ techniques and positions.

3. The triangle choke: One of the most common submissions in BJJ. Probably the most famous submission in all of grappling, if not BJJ. Can be aquired from many positions, and with the ability to transition from the triangle to an armbar, omoplata, sweep, and back to a triangle again, this submissions earns it's spot on the list.

2. Hip escape: If there is one thing I remember from day one of BJJ training, it is the hip escape. Useful in almost every scenario, the hip escape, or shrimp, can get a grappler or righter out of trouble and back to a more advantageous position. Simple, yet effective, it is often the 1st thing a new comer to grappling learns on their first day.

1. The guard: Without a doubt the most important technique in all of BJJ. The guard is almost entirely unique to BJJ, and much, much more focus is put onto the guard in BJJ than Judo. With varients ranging from closed guard, open guard, spider guard, octopus guard, and the half guard, the guard is one of the most advantageous and powerful moves in all of combat, possibly ahead of the mount. With an arsenal of submissions, sweeps, and even strikes available to use, the guard is the most fundamental positions in grappling, and fighting.

1. Buttscoot.

2. Bellydown.

3. The worm.

4. Helicopter armbar.

5. Whatever you just saw Anderson Silva do in the UFC.

6. One-legged sprawl.

7. Q Guard.

8. Old School.

9. Crackhead Control.

10. Bong escape.

Recognize, prevent, and mitigate the 10 most common offensive techniques someone else can do to you.

Hip escapes and the different ways of rolling (forwards, backwards etc etc).

Oh and BREAK FALLING. It's crazy the number of people the number of people that don't know ow to protect themselves in a free fall

sir im a judo guy, i would like to ask what belt are ukemki taught in BJJ?

Gosh, there are so many it's hard to limit it to just 10. I'd say make sure you have enough to defend yourself in the worst case scenario, then work on refining everything else. At least be competent in how to do 1 of each of the following:
Double leg takedown
Guard Pass
Side Control attack
Mount Attack
Back Attack
Breakfall properly
Technical Standup from guard
Attack from Guard
Sweep from guard
Don't give up the back

In order of importance:

1) Mount Escape
2) Back Escape
3) Reguard from Turtle
4) Recovering full guard from half guard
5) Controlling Posture and Angle (to include breaking posture and posturing up)
6) Guard Sweep (pendulum or scissors)
7) Half Guard Sweep
8) Control from Mount
9) Armbar from Mount
10) Rear Naked Choke

This list is more of what I think is important in the self-defense aspect of BJJ. I will make a competition BJJ list also. Side note: depending on what Mount Escape you like, Controlling Posture can also be listed as #1, and everything else would move down.

Here is my list of important techniques for competition BJJ, again, in order of importance:

1) Shrimping/Creating space
2) "Reverse Shrimp" (scooting yourself underneath your opponent)
3) Controlling Posture and Angle
4) Pummelling for Underhooks
5) Breaking Open Closed Guard
6) Opening up the Turtle to get hooks in and subsequent control

These are my "universal list" of techniques that everyone should know..the rest of the list would just consists of sweeps, passes, and maybe a submission, which will vary from person to person..but for me personally:

7) Triangle choke from Guard
8) Armbar from Guard
9) Pendulum Sweep from Guard
10) Bow and Arrow Choke

And How to switch between 7, 8, and 9..

Grip breaking and hand fighting! You won't be able to pull anything off if you don't have these basics on point.

Back