Top Ten Most Important BJJ Techniques

36ChambersMMA

White Belt
Reaction score
What do you think are the top ten most important techniques in BJJ to master? (i.e. head control, arm triangle, rubber guard)

Just wondering practitioners around the country think.

Hip escapes, without a doubt. From there, I'd say a good guard pass or two, a couple sweeps, and a few basic submissions.

I'm finding it's not about memorizing moves, it's about the concepts underneath. Just work on that bread and butter stuff, the rest comes easier.

whatever you need to demonstrate for you blue belt exam.

Hip escapes, without a doubt. From there, I'd say a good guard pass or two, a couple sweeps, and a few basic submissions.

I'm finding it's not about memorizing moves, it's about the concepts underneath. Just work on that bread and butter stuff, the rest comes easier.

yea thats what i was hoping to accomplish. just see what the most important moves to utilize in bjj. master the bread and butter moves and ur all good

Mount escape, side control escape, back mount escape, half guard to guard recovery, turtle to guard recovery, basic guard pass, basic half guard pass, controlling a specific position, basic armbar from mount, cross collar choke. Yes I know I'm a square.

whatever you need to demonstrate for you blue belt exam.

LOL nice.

What do you think are the top ten most important techniques in BJJ to master? (i.e. head control, arm triangle, rubber guard)

Just wondering practitioners around the country think.

A couple things.

Upa, Breathing, Bridging, Hip Escapes, Shrimping, Constricting; not squeezing, both arms in/out, posture, head control, body physics

LOL nice.

A couple things.

Upa, Breathing, Bridging, Hip Escapes, Shrimping, Constricting; not squeezing, both arms in/out, posture, head control, body physics

i like this post. this is what i was hoping to learn

butt scooting forwards
butt scooting left
butt scooting right
butt scooting backwards
butt scooting 360
jumping guard
?????

LOL nice.

A couple things.

This was my answer!

2:

1. Hip escape/correct Rickson shrimp

2. Techincal stand-up in base.

That's it.

shrimping, hip control, head control, guard pass, side control, basic submissions. knowing a handful of submissions well with a solid foundation is better than knowing hundreds of subs with poor foundation. one of the most important fundamental skill is knowing where your limps are with out seeing them - there is a term for this but i forgot.

hip escape
shrimp
guard
mount escape
sub defense
maintaining the mount position
side control
guard pass
upa
posture

IMO defending submissions is the 1st thing white belts must do.

Already onto page two and not one person has mentioned the standup portion of grappling. ie. takedowns................

Already onto page two and not one person has mentioned the standup portion of grappling. ie. takedowns................

I would say a solid double leg, single leg, and one throw, shrimping, hip switch/escape, triangle from guard, armbar from guard, guillotine choke from guard, a half guard tilt sweep, standing guard pass, sitting guard pass...oh, more than 10...

Hip escapes and the different ways of rolling (forwards, backwards etc etc).

Oh and BREAK FALLING. It's crazy the number of people the number of people that don't know ow to protect themselves in a free fall

Somehow I think we've missed the TS's points. I believe he wanted us to list specific techniques (triangles, armbars, different sweeps, etc). However, in the spirit of the current thread-going:

Top 10 Concepts Every BJJer Should Know:
1) Breakfalls
2) Hip movement
3) Pacing yourself
4) How to not be lost on the feet
5) Grips (gi and nogi)
6) Leverage
7) Balance
8) Adaptive gameplanning
9) Human nature
10) Timing

What's the difference between hip escape and shrimping? In my mind they were the same. I'm obviously new to the game.

Somehow I think we've missed the TS's points. I believe he wanted us to list specific techniques (triangles, armbars, different sweeps, etc). However, in the spirit of the current thread-going:

Yes, that's my take too.

So... I listed in order of importance, but with some groupings b/c a lot of times it doesn't matter what specific manner you do the thing (ex: sweep from guard). I'm also not including "sub defense" because that's WAY too general to help but is certainly the top of the list (says Saulo).

I think the most important thing is position before submission, but I've included triangle, armbar, omo near the top because it's very hard to sweep people from guard until you've learned to use those. Plus, it takes quite a while to develop a half-guard so that's been omitted from my "10 basics"

Survival
1) Single/double leg takedown
2) General re-guards (mount/side-control/half guard -- too many to count but all right at the top of the list on importance because you have to get out from the inferior position if you're a whitebelt who doesn't know shit)
Getting top position
3) Triangle from guard
4) Armbar from guard (and mount - grouping but whatever)
5) Omoplata
6) Arm-drag
7) Formal sweeps from full guard - probably scissor, flower and hip bump sweep most common
Passing
8) bull fighter pass
9) knee slide pass
Wild Card
10) Kimura (sub/sweep from top/bottom)

honorable mention: cross choke, baseball bat choke, elevator sweep, americana (kimura more useful),

That's the list I planned on making. Quite similar actually, except instead of the omoplata, triangle, and armbar, i grouped them together and added to know how to chain the three of them together properly; I also included a basic throw (seoi nage) as well as the stacking double under pass.

Back