Top ten best decision Ive made in my life

I'm 22 and my knees are fucked up from Jiu Jitsu, haha. Genetics have a lot to say.

Wrestled since I was 14, now have a bum left shoulder. Overall in good condition for 28 year old I guess

I wrestled and played football for 6 years. Two years of rugby. No serious injuries until I started BJJ. Now I'm a wreck. It's just dumb luck.

Starting BJJ is one of my ten best decisions. Wish I'd done it earlier, but I wouldn't have been dedicated to it back then.

Not playing Highschool sports. I pole vaulted 2 seasons and played football in 8th grade. I never was much for team sports. I see all these guys in their mid-late 20's come in to class who do a roll or 2 and take a break, 5 minutes later they can barely get up off the mats. I hear stories about dudes that have had multiple knee surguries starting when they were like 16. I will never regret not playing football(im from Texas, not playing football is a big deal for a kid who's 5'11 180;bs and can run a 4.6 40 when your in highschool). My back is fine, my knees are fine, I have a little bursitis in my left shoulder) Im just glad I didnt destroy my body before I found Jiu Jitsu.

I hope you had fun pole vaulting by yourself and not getting laid in highschool. Playing sports in highschool were some of the best moments in my life. The vast majority of people come out fine by the way.

Either you're hopping back and forth between this board and WOW or your chubby ass got cut from every team you tried out for.

I played football, soccer and nationally competitive paintball (we were sponsored and got invited to play the first Vegas X-ball)

paintball was probably the worst for my joints.

wouldnt take any of my youth sports back

Bolded for truth.

Did football, Track, Wrestling in HS, andJudo as a kid. Football broke 2 fingers, track had its moments on everything leg involved, wrestling only had ringworm and starvation, but paintball easily produced the most strain, specifically on the knees from diving into snakes, ladders, or any of the other fun/ pint sized bunkers usually tucked up by the 50 where you have to part time as a human contortionist. Had to take a real ugly dive to make a bunker in the '05 Chicago Open, and my knee hasn't been the same since.

I also agree, I wouldn't trade my time in any of those sports for anything in the world, in fact, I wish I had stuck with them more than I did (Dropped Wrestling/Track 2nd half of HS to focus on football conditioning).

The way I see it, you only get one body, you only get 1 chance at being young, and there's no point in preserving your body for old age when you're too old to do anything anyhow. Enjoy it while you can. :icon_chee

how is paintball bad for your joints? please elaborate, I am very curious. I can't think of how it could be bad unless you got shot and with much force at your knee or something.

It's this:

id suspect in paint ball the running and diving onto knees and elbows on hardish surfaces and also brisk changes in direction

and the fact that many positions/bunkers on the field require you to play off your knees or crawling via the height of the bunker you are using for cover. Also consider, that your priority is limiting target exposure, so you often find yourself in an awkward position trying to avoid being shot. At the same time, you still need to be able to take advantage of an opportunity to get up/move at a moments notice, no matter how awkward the position you are in. Depending on your position/bunker choice on the field, you can spend more time "walking" on your knees, than on your feet.

Back