Top ten American (USA) MWs ever?

Just the fact that Brunson was mentioned leaves me shaking my head.

well I include him althought not in the top ten
Brunson has 15+ wins in Strikeforce/UFC only losing to real studs in that tenure. So im not a fan of him personally but he deserves some respect.

Anderson Silva
Vitor Belfort
Gegard Mousasi
Ronaldo Souza
Robert Whittaker
Michael Bisping
Yoel Romero
Yushin Okami
Martin Kampmann
Kalib Starnes
This is way more accurate. Though I would include a few people from TS’s list on there.

well I include him althought not in the top ten
Brunson has 15+ wins in Strikeforce/UFC only losing to real studs in that tenure. So im not a fan of him personally but he deserves some respect.
You left him in a 7 way tie for 10th with Rich, Robbie, Frank, etc. There's no way he can be considered one of the best of all time if he never beat any of the best(old machida doesn't count).

Lol at Chael being 4th

18-9 at MW while getting finished 8 times

Some fighters evolve through their career, mate. Just like Woodley from Strikeforce days is not the same as today.
Sonnen since he beat Alexei Oleynik is such a great fighter.

Lol as much as you want, wins over Suloev, Filho, Okami, Marquardt, Stann and Bisping at MW are serious. His 24 minut tittle fight with Anderson Silva in his prime is serious as well. He choked out Shogun too, keep laughing

You left him in a 7 way tie for 10th with Rich, Robbie, Frank, etc. There's no way he can be considered one of the best of all time if he never beat any of the best(old machida doesn't count).

I just thought that Brunson back in 2005 would have been a real threat to champion Rich Franklin. Same reason I mention Matt Lindland, Jason Miler or Dave Branch.
In terms of accomplishments, Brunson is certainly not in the discussion.. As a fighter, not in my book nether, but I could undertand someone picking him fot that list in terms of fighting ability. I think he has a long enough run in major promotions to be at least mentioned.

I just thought that Brunson back in 2005 would have been a real threat to champion Rich Franklin. Same reason I mention Matt Lindland, Jason Miler or Dave Branch.
In terms of accomplishments, Brunson is certainly not in the discussion.. As a fighter, not in my book nether, but I could undertand someone picking him fot that list in terms of fighting ability. I think he has a long enough run in major promotions to be at least mentioned.
Nah. We can't put tags of "best ever" on guys based on their ability or potential alone. If that were the case, lists would be flooded. Accomplishments have to come into play as well. That's why I was surprised a guy like Franklin(who was actually champ) was so low on your list. Brunson doesn't have a huge win on his resume', hasn't had a UFC belt around his waist, and hasn't cracked the top 5 in that division ever. He's got somewhat sloppy hands that just happen to have some pop in them. At the end of the day, he'll be a gatekeeper at best.

1.Dan Henderson
2.Luke Rockhold
3.Chris Weidman
4.Chael Sonnen
5.Nate Marquardt
6.Jake Shields (for actually beating Hendo)
7.Tim Kennedy
8.Dave Branch
9.Kelvin Gastelum
10.Rich Franklin/Frank Shamrock/Matt Lindland/Jason Miller/Robbie Lawler/Jake Shields/Derek Brunson?
Who else?
Why is jake shields 6th and tied for tenth

Nah. We can't put tags of "best ever" on guys based on their ability or potential alone. If that were the case, lists would be flooded. Accomplishments have to come into play as well. That's why I was surprised a guy like Franklin(who was actually champ) was so low on your list. Brunson doesn't have a huge win on his resume', hasn't had a UFC belt around his waist, and hasn't cracked the top 5 in that division ever. He's got somewhat sloppy hands that just happen to have some pop in them. At the end of the day, he'll be a gatekeeper at best.

You are right that you cant put tags of "best ever" based on potential....rather than accomplishments.
Yeah Brunson can be mentioned just as much as Mark Munoz I guess, or some others gatekeepers in UFC...I just wanted to open the discussion as I think guys as Dave Branch, who hasnt had a UFC belt around his waist ever is still one of the best 10 MWs ever out of USA in my book. No matter if Evan Tanner (all respect to him) was once a UFC champ beating guys that would probably not even contend for the Bellator belt today

Skillset or resume? Game's evolved.

If just by who wins, then Franklin is at the bottom of the list and Luke Rockhold has the #1 spot. Dan Henderson is around the bottom of that list too.

1.Dan Henderson
2.Luke Rockhold
3.Chris Weidman
4.Chael Sonnen
5.Nate Marquardt
6.Jake Shields (for actually beating Hendo)
7.Tim Kennedy
8.Dave Branch
9.Kelvin Gastelum
10.Rich Franklin/Frank Shamrock/Matt Lindland/Jason Miller/Robbie Lawler//Derek Brunson?
Who else?
Henderson and Rockhold over Weidman who has the second most title defenses in the division???
<Kpop01>

Skillset or resume? Game's evolved.

If just by who wins, then Franklin is at the bottom of the list and Luke Rockhold has the #1 spot. Dan Henderson is around the bottom of that list too.

I guess is a mix of both skillset and resume. Henderson is not around the bottom of the list no matter how you look at it.

Anyone who has Rich Franklin outside the top 5 American MWs is a clueless noob.

Henderson and Rockhold over Weidman who has the second most title defenses in the division???
<Kpop01>

It's arguable. but certainly is not just about UFC. Rockholds career didnt started in the UFC (where he took the belt from Weidman by the way) His championship run in Strikeforce is seious too

Anyone who has Rich Franklin outside the top 5 American MWs is a clueless noob.

We are not in 2006 anymore. Just like Frank Shamrock is not in the list neither. America have produced some very good MWs in the last decade who can take Franklin's spot

Franklin at #10?

You new around here?

giphy.gif
Can't believe it
Putting Gastelum,Branch and fucking Kennedy in front of him
God damn noob

Back