News Top Rank calls off two fight cards over lack of COVID-19 testing, blames Donald Trump

ya, we used to have a show on american tv called "the gong show" where they would "gang gong" someone they weren't amused by, that's what's happening to poor old cat.

“Gang gong” sounds like something you’d walk away from with bowed legs.

I haven't replied in this thread in ages, Im shocked it has so many responses.
It's become the general conversation thread tbh. In the absence of boxing it's nice to be able to interact a little bit. There are quality posters on this board, and most of them you can find in this thread.

Old Cat may have the exact opposite opinion to myself sometimes, but he is still one of my favorite posters on the board. Same with Moz tbh. Because both those fuckers are genuine. I really appreciate that.

YOU, on the other hand, are an absolute cunt.

j/k, I know you like to troll in the Heavies sometimes, and I am on board for that carnage :)

Let’s just be happy we live in places where we can debate these things and not “vanish”.

Let’s just be happy we live in places where we can debate these things and not “vanish”.
ya, i'd have been gone missing. If the conspiracy nuts are right about corona being something to chip us all, they'll probably end up getting me because i don't know if i want the vaccine.

I have split one of your paragraphs and omitted another for the sake of brevity. Also, this keeps us from getting into a detail discussion economic theory. I hope this is okay?

I would suspect some have. But as you say, where do we go?

I had an interesting discussion with a friend who charged Trump was caving to pressure with respect to the stimulus checks. Simply put, he argued that Trump agreed to this action to assure election, not because if all things were equal it was the correct move. He was compelled by circumstances so to speak. I argued he fundamentally believed the action was correct.

Here is the thing, Trump is Wharton grad and is therefor steeped in Keynesianism. One only need look at his willingness to increase debt and incessant calls for the Fed to lower interest rates. He has constantly lamented the " strength of the dollar" in relation Yuan in particular. He contented lowering rates would lead to a more favorable trade environment for the US. These few example are classic Keynes policy. That's who he is. I get his perspective. He believes we can increase tax revenue with a strong economy and manage the debt load.

As you rightly deduced, I'm very concerned about the "uni-party's" economic policies. Take a look at the bill forward by the house yesterday. The republicans will whine and moan and about the provisions and then offer a one will an equivalent price tag. Both sides will fight to make sure "their" donors or pet projects get slice of the pie, but the result will the same, 3 trillion more in national debt.

Hold on, i'm gonna rant for a min and put on my tinfoil hat. The true power brokers don't care who is office as long as spigot is flowing. IMO, this current event has been used as yet another excuse to siphon more money from the pockets of the tax payers. Truth be told "they" don't care what the majority of people are arguing about as long as can control the purse. " Hey look what Trump said about.....". " Can you believe what Schumer did". etc. They point with their righthand to these " wrong doings" and use the left to commit grand theft. This American is not immune from the traps that lead to the death of other great civilizations. How many Americans have heard of The Rise and Decline of the Roman Empire, much less read it? When do nations loose confidence in our Dollar? What happens when we can't service the our debt? Can we repudiate it? The piper will be paid. How many truly understand the mistakes of past to ensure proper foot placement in the future? (sometimes I have to let it out. LOL)

In light of all of this how do I support him? There is and has been a assault on the foundation of the this country for several generations now. Many American's miss the beauty of the founders wisdom. The concept of Natural Rights is an anachronism to some. Trump for all his faults, understands Natural Rights and that's good enough for me. The pessimist in me thinks he is the last gasp of a once great nation. The optimist , says his work with judiciary in particular can slow the tide and give time for future economic sanity.

There certainly is something to say about Trump's background impacting his somewhat unique economic outlook (insofar as it is ever coherent, as he is like to be all over the place at times). The Trump fortune was built off back of the FHA (which turned into HUD) and programs which can be broadly characterized as Keynesian and a direct product of the post-war boom. It can be argued that a certain kind of developer, particularly from the era of Trump's heyday, would be opposed the de-industrialization and financialization of the post-Fordist society (certainly not all developers, but the argument certainly has been made that Trump does yearn for something akin to the post WW2 boom, which occurred in an era of what can be described as economically Keynesian). As you mentioned, his consistent push to keep the value of the dollar down to re-invigorate American manufacturing (these have been largely half-assed measures which have ultimately been unsuccessful) along with his protectionist measures do separate him, to some degree, from the solid neoliberal consensus from Reagan all the way to Obama.

I'd argue that Keynesianism (in the traditional sense; parsing the differences between modern-day post-Kenynesians and neo-Keynesians is a very long discussion all to itself) doesn't really in any way justify the constant march of the rising debt which Trump, but everyone from monetarists to proponents of Modern Monetary Theory don't really seem to care about the national debt anymore (Reagan certainly never did; Bill Clinton of all people, under advisement the prominent neo-Keynesian, Stiglitz, was probably the last President to care about it at all - not that I'm praising Bill for that).

All in all, I don't really disagree with a lot of your diagnosis, even if my solutions and takeaways from such a diagnosis would be considerably different. Cheers.

just turned it on to see a reminder of how awful that Walt Harris story is.
I just said the same thing in the UFC thread. That he seems genuine and how horrific and tragic that shit was. I remember when it happened, but such a disgusting murder all the way around. Pathetic.

I just said the same thing in the UFC thread. That he seems genuine and how horrific and tragic that shit was. I remember when it happened, but such a disgusting murder all the way around. Pathetic.

infuriating thing was he was out on bond for another violent crime.

infuriating thing was he was out on bond for another violent crime.
And had another scummy motherfucking animal of a friend he was able to call into it as a participant or whatever.
Fuck those dudes. When it's dead-to-rights like that, I wouldn't care if they both "fell down the steps at the station" and broke their necks.

And had another scummy motherfucking animal of a friend he was able to call into it as a participant or whatever.
Fuck those dudes. When it's dead-to-rights like that, I wouldn't care if they both "fell down the steps at the station" and broke their necks.

I was trying to research what % of state prison populations were incarcerated for drug possession (not selling and not fed). FYI that is the one thing you can’t find on the internet.

Anyhow, I came across an article— the most common prison myths. I’m reading along until I get to... violent sexual predators can’t be rehabilitated. Meaning it was a myth that they can’t.

so I’m thinking did I read that right. Reread it- yup. The article states with proper education etc they can be “cured”.

f that. Violent predators, pedophiles. Those are the people who should never see the light of day. Some things there is no coming back from. Nothing more inexplicable to read about a horrific crime to find out its one of these fuckers who’s just be released.

I was trying to research what % of state prison populations were incarcerated for drug possession (not selling and not fed). FYI that is the one thing you can’t find on the internet.

Anyhow, I came across an article— the most common prison myths. I’m reading along until I get to... violent sexual predators can’t be rehabilitated. Meaning it was a myth that they can’t.

so I’m thinking did I read that right. Reread it- yup. The article states with proper education etc they can be “cured”.

f that. Violent predators, pedophiles. Those are the people who should never see the light of day. Some things there is no coming back from. Nothing more inexplicable to read about a horrific crime to find out its one of these fuckers who’s just be released.
Maybe they can be rehabbed (I don’t believe it for a second) but I think some crimes you shouldn’t get a second kick at the cat regardless.

In my mind it's not an issue of if...Its why. There are certain crimes I dont think you should get a 2nd chance for. Crimes that were unprovoked and involving innocent random victims not due to negligence.

Absurd. We won't all get it, but we will all be exposed. One way or the other. In the US. Sooner or later.
Madness to even suggest such idiocy. Fear-mongering on a level I've not yet seen even in the WR, to be honest.
I'm willing to go a one-year sig bet with you that there are not 200,000 deaths in the US from coronavirus this year. Through 12/31/2020.

Edit to add, I'll go 150,000 or less in the US through 12/31/2020. One-year sig bet. If you're interested.

I was too optimistic, and it looks like you were as well.
Jesus Christ, what a fiasco.

I was too optimistic, and it looks like you were as well.
Jesus Christ, what a fiasco.
In fairness, the move of sending positive patients to nursing homes in NY, NJ, MI and other places was not a foreseeable fuck up and is where fully 1/3 of the deaths came from. But fiasco is right.

In fairness, the move of sending positive patients to nursing homes in NY, NJ, MI and other places was not a foreseeable fuck up and is where fully 1/3 of the deaths came from. But fiasco is right.

agree with everything but the 1/3 comment. That’s hyperbole.

agree with everything but the 1/3 comment. That’s hyperbole.
I'm pretty sure that's right? No? I've heard it cited just recently and repeatedly. I thought it was 1/3. 1/4? I feel like it was "nearly 1/3" 30%+ or something. It ravaged and savaged the nursing homes. Brutal and unstoppable there.

I'm pretty sure that's right? No? I've heard it cited just recently and repeatedly. I thought it was 1/3. 1/4? I feel like it was "nearly 1/3" 30%+ or something. It ravaged and savaged the nursing homes. Brutal and unstoppable there.

to be clear, are you saying 1/3 of US covid deaths are people in nursing homes, or 1/3 of us deaths are due to some states sending recovering/ infected patients back too soon?

while Cuomo’s self serving report clearing him of any wrong doing is as respectable as an a. Byrd scorecard, I don’t think an argument can be made that 1/3 of 140k deaths are attributed to that type of decision.

undoubtedly the majority of us deaths are elderly and/or people with certain pre existing Comorbidities. I’m not willing to shrug my shoulders at those like Hannity or the lt gov of Texas.

Back