News Top Rank calls off two fight cards over lack of COVID-19 testing, blames Donald Trump

Defending Trump is a futile job. We all know he's an idiot. But he's the figurehead of the right wing at this moment, so he will be defended. If he is actually making decisions himself though, he needs to be sedated. This is no time to have an idiot running the country.
This virus is a big wake up call. Hopefully both sides will gain perspective.

I don’t recall him saying it was a joke. But he rightly has tried to keep people calm, that’s what leaders do. I’m thankful for that. He cut us off from China early, check. He assembled a task force with our top medical professionals ( they have been working to speed up and streamline the testing process and figure ways to contain it regionally), check. He as of today cut us off from Europe, a region w an expanding infection rate, check. As the situation has warranted action he has stepped.

Really what else could he have done? We see how the markets have reacted to this thing. What should he have done, lock down the whole county? Should he have said we are all gonna die? It his job to lead and make difficult decisions as needed, not to act out of impulse or public whim but from an informed position. Again I’m cool with the steps he has taken so far.

Keep this in perspective my friend, we have 41 dead so far. 12,000 died from H1N1 and 10s of thousands die each year from influenza.
250 a day dying in Italy. With the Spanish flu outbreak in 1918, governments played down the mortality rate, I just hope they arent playing that game again.

250 a day dying in Italy. With the Spanish flu outbreak in 1918, governments played down the mortality rate, I just hope they arent playing that game again.
I worked out the Italian death rate because their doctors were saying this virus is a killer and it came out at 7% which is twice the global average. It certainly seems more deadly then it's been given credit for.

I worked out the Italian death rate because their doctors were saying this virus is a killer and it came out at 7% which is twice the global average. It certainly seems more deadly then it's been given credit for.
Capitalism as we know it, is finished.

its not gonna be that high dude. You have to factor in all of those that have it/have had it that have been unaware. The infection rate is far higher than is recorded. At home We estimated up to 15000 infected, based on 500 confirmed a couple of days ago. This is why early testing is so crucial and why the states is going to have huge problems very soon, possibly worse than the majority of European countries
We won’t know the death rate until the end of the pandemic. I guess it will be between 1%-2%

its not gonna be that high dude. You have to factor in all of those that have it/have had it that have been unaware. The infection rate is far higher than is recorded. At home We estimated up to 15000 infected, based on 500 confirmed a couple of days ago. This is why early testing is so crucial and why the states is going to have huge problems very soon, possibly worse than the majority of European countries
We won’t know the death rate until the end of the pandemic. I guess it will be between 1%-2%

I'm just going on the figures. The death rate globally based on how many have tested positive for it vs how many have confirmed to have died from it is something like 3.4% but in Italy doing a like for like comparison it's up to 7%. So it's proving to be more deadly then reported. I get your point that many will have it and not be tested positive for it but it's not as benign as they first made out. I'll probably be fine if I get it as I'm healthy but I know if my mum gets it she'll be in serious trouble. She has had a lot of chest infections down the years and if she get's this it won't be good. In Italy they are making decisions to withdraw care to some of the older patients because their healthcare system can't cope with treating everyone. Most people that I have met are scared for older relatives and with good cause I believe.

I'm just going on the figures. The death rate globally based on how many have tested positive for it vs how many have confirmed to have died from it is something like 3.4% but in Italy doing a like for like comparison it's up to 7%. So it's proving to be more deadly then reported. I get your point that many will have it and not be tested positive for it but it's not as benign as they first made out. I'll probably be fine if I get it as I'm healthy but I know if my mum gets it she'll be in serious trouble. She has had a lot of chest infections down the years and if she get's this it won't be good. In Italy they are making decisions to withdraw care to some of the older patients because their healthcare system can't cope with treating everyone.
Its as if nature has given us 100 years to get our shit together; but nope, we are so addicted to profit, we lost sight of whats important. When the health of your neighbour, is effectively the health of you, there is only one option, forced evolution.

Its as if nature has given us 100 years to get our shit together; but nope, we are so addicted to profit, we lost sight of whats important. When the health of your neighbour, is effectively the health of you, there is only one option, forced evolution.
I think that underlines the problem of health being a for-profit commodity. It actually puts more lives at risk because people are more concerned with making money than saving lives. On a side note since you mention we lose sight of what's important my tenant is Italian, she works under a zero-hours contract. Her father in Italy recently passed away (not from the Corona virus). She can't attend the funeral because if she goes to Italy her work will enforce a 2 week self-isolation when she gets back but they won't pay her for it. So because she can't afford to take the wage hit she can't attend the funeral.

Maybe he could've taken the Coronavirus seriously from the start, perhaps? Maybe then we'd have been better prepared. And that's what Arum is bitching about. He's right by the way and it's absolutely Trump's fault.

The sick joke of Donald Trump's presidency isn't funny any more

For perspective see how fast Obama acted with h1N1. Compared to trump here.

look at the cases and deaths and if you’re unbiased you can see the false narrative of trump ignoring this.

I'm just going on the figures. The death rate globally based on how many have tested positive for it vs how many have confirmed to have died from it is something like 3.4% but in Italy doing a like for like comparison it's up to 7%. So it's proving to be more deadly then reported. I get your point that many will have it and not be tested positive for it but it's not as benign as they first made out. I'll probably be fine if I get it as I'm healthy but I know if my mum gets it she'll be in serious trouble. She has had a lot of chest infections down the years and if she get's this it won't be good. In Italy they are making decisions to withdraw care to some of the older patients because their healthcare system can't cope with treating everyone. Most people that I have met are scared for older relatives and with good cause I believe.

same as that dude, I’m worried about my missus’ parents, not myself or my kids. The only actual change I’ve made is knocking the gym on the head. I’ve been training at home for that last week which I do much if the time now anyway

I still think the death rate is gonna be about 1%. But 1% of a fckin huge number is still a big number

It certainly isn’t a good trend. There are parts that give reassurance, such as Italy having one of the highest elderly populations in the world and the figures varying so much country to country, day to day, that percentages that can be misleading.

Best of luck with your mum. I’m the same with my Dad, who fortunately is out of the country for a few weeks. I have many Italian relatives, elderly ones in the North, who I’m concerned about as well.

For perspective see how fast Obama acted with h1N1. Compared to trump here.

look at the cases and deaths and if you’re unbiased you can see the false narrative of trump ignoring this.

he called it a hoax, said people should carry on as normal, buried his head in the sand hoping it won’t affect the economy and re-election. Your an idiot if you think he reacted quickly as he should, being the leader of a large country. youre a country of over 300m people yet you’ve tested less than half of what South Korea test in a day. You happy with that? Oh but Obama! Fckin laughable, retarded response

he called it a hoax, said people should carry on as normal, buried his head in the sand hoping it won’t affect the economy and re-election. Your an idiot if you think he reacted quickly as he should, being the leader of a large country. youre a country of over 300m people yet you’ve tested less than half of what South Korea test in a day. You happy with that? Oh but Obama! Fckin laughable, retarded response

It’s comparing the last pandemic. You can see what each guy did.
You’re pretty emotionally invested though so you won’t be able to see the clear difference and reaction time comparably.
The cases the hospitalizations and deaths. see for yourself. That’s all you gotta do

@Old Cat I know we joked about voting for Bernie but surely this is a slam dunk for him? No?

No sir. Joe Biden will be the nominee.

Poor Bernie got hosed again. In the lead up to the most pivotal delegate count voting day, the DNC appears to have worked a deal for certain candidates to either drop out or stay in depending on the effect to Bernie’s campaign. The dude can’t catch a break.

I’m confused by my English friends take on this matter with respect to Trump? Your own government has explicitly said they are going to let this play out and hope to build herd immunity. The recommendation from your own government is if you have symptoms self Quarantine. Y’all are doing the exact opposite of Europe as a whole. Now I’m not saying that this approach is wrong ( As far as I know none of us are virologist or epidemiologist) , I’m just puzzled by your anger toward our president.

It’s comparing the last pandemic. You can see what each guy did.
You’re pretty emotionally invested though so you won’t be able to see the clear difference and reaction time comparably.
The cases the hospitalizations and deaths. see for yourself. That’s all you gotta do

It’s called deflection. Your avoiding the obvious because of political bias. I’m well aware of this because it happens all the time in my country as well. At times like this it shouldn’t be the case

As had been said in the thread, if you are happy with how it’s being handled then that’s up to you. Lots of people clearly aren’t though

Jesus. They must be treating it by beating patients in the head with a hammer.
I saw revised rate estimates ranged from 0.7%-2.5% as of Thursday night. I can't cite the source but I remember thinking well, down from a high end of 3.5% this is good, because I had seen that number previously as well.
My neighbor was walking by yesterday when I got home from work and he asked if I had seen the death rate was 25%. I told him what I had seen the night before and he was skeptical and I assured him the rate was not 25%. I threw in a "think about that".
He is a semi-retired aerospace engineer.

I’m confused by my English friends take on this matter with respect to Trump? Your own government has explicitly said they are going to let this play out and hope to build herd immunity. The recommendation from your own government is if you have symptoms self Quarantine. Y’all are doing the exact opposite of Europe as a whole. Now I’m not saying that this approach is wrong ( As far as I know none of us are virologist or epidemiologist) , I’m just puzzled by your anger toward our president.

Who knows if it’s the right thing to do? And our government is coming in for plenty of criticism for it. No ones desperately defending them. But what they are not doing is blaming it on the opposition, other countries, or anyone else if it’s not working! As I said in my last post, if you’s are happy that it was played down for weeks, and people aren’t getting tested, then good for yous. Plenty of you clearly aren’t happy about it though

Jesus. They must be treating it by beating patients in the head with a hammer.
I saw revised rate estimates ranged from 0.7%-2.5% as of Thursday night. I can't cite the source but I remember thinking well, down from a high end of 3.5% this is good, because I had seen that number previously as well.
My neighbor was walking by yesterday when I got home from work and he asked if I had seen the death rate was 25%. I told him what I had seen the night before and he was skeptical and I assured him the rate was not 25%. I threw in a "think about that".
He is a semi-retired aerospace engineer.
From what I've read their health service is overwhelmed. They have admitted to letting the oldest patients die because they can't give care to everyone. Yeah believing 25% is a bit ridiculous.

Back