Top NHL prospect fails to do a single pull-up at combine

No, I'm pretty sure that hockey players of this day and age are well aware of anabolic steroids just like they are in all other sports.

I think the quality of the average off season routine for NHL players is pretty poor, or at least subject to a very high variance in comparison to other sports (football). Some prospects literally just have to get bigger and stronger to make it to the NHL, and they never accomplish it. See Leblanc, Louis.

And don't get me started on Arturri Lehkonen:

Arturri! Y u no skwats n milk!?

I think the quality of the average off season routine for NHL players is pretty poor, or at least subject to a very high variance in comparison to other sports (football). Some prospects literally just have to get bigger and stronger to make it to the NHL, and they never accomplish it. See Leblanc, Louis.

I could see it being subject to a higher variance. Simply because vision and decision making play a much bigger role in hockey than it does in football (with quarterback possibly being the exception). So a skilled hockey player can use those attributes to compensate for athleticism in a way that football players can't.

I could see it being subject to a higher variance. Simply because vision and decision making play a much bigger role in hockey than it does in football (with quarterback possibly being the exception). So a skilled hockey player can use those attributes to compensate for athleticism in a way that football players can't.

Yeah, the consequences for being weak in football are much more severe than they are in hockey. It's entirely possible that Arturri becomes a good player at the NHL despite his full-retard S&C program. A football player with his build would not be given a roster spot as the coach and general manager wouldn't really feel like being responsible for his brutal and sudden death.

Yeah, the consequences for being weak in football are much more severe than they are in hockey. It's entirely possible that Arturri becomes a good player at the NHL despite his full-retard S&C program. A football player with his build would not be given a roster spot as the coach and general manager wouldn't really feel like being responsible for his brutal and sudden death.

Sure, in the same way that a hockey player with bad decision making skills wouldn't be considered by a GM even though he might be athletic enough to run a route and catch a ball.

No, I'm pretty sure that hockey players of this day and age are well aware of anabolic steroids just like they are in all other sports.

Yes, but on skates. So hockey players are covering a greater amount of distance in a shorter period of time.

Not sure how this is relevant to anything.

WTF???

Yep, basketball players can hold the ball for 5 seconds before making a decision on what to do while their opponents wait. Hockey players don't have that luxury.

Sports IQ and skill are two different things. I'm referring to having to make split second decisions and executing them. When it comes to this, hockey requires a much higher sports IQ than basketball does.

They can only cover a greater distance in shorter time only because they can get up to speed. To explode like that on skates is quite exhausting. The plays are constantly shifting back and down the ice. You have to stop and go much much more than in basketball. You are moving around much more to be in the right position than in basketball. One reason for this is there is no out of bounds unless someone shoots the puck into the crowd. Even in basketball if the ball is moving around, you only have so much space to move around in anyways, to follow and be in the play. The distance is less, therefore you dont even need a very high top speed.

In basketball, it is much easier to slow the pace down. In fact, that is what you usually see in an NBA game. If they can slow it down, they must because you dont want to be tired by the end of the game when the score is close. NBA players often hold onto the ball longer than 5 seconds if they can.

A hockey player has to try and shoot the puck harder, and harder with placement, to get it past the goalie. Basically, the faster the puck comes off your stick, the higher the chances it gets past the goalie.

The basketball equivalent of that move is when you go for a layout, but right when you are at the rim, you fake a pass to sike out the closest defender and lay up the ball. Or you sike out your defender with the nifty crossover and go in for an open lay-up.

That move, the hockey player pulled off requires more power than both the basketball equivalents. When a BBall player fakes the pass by extending his arm out with the ball and pulling in, and then extending in another direction for the layup. When you crossover, you can use gravity and the natural potential energy of an inflated ball (it can bounce).

The hockey player has a dense piece of rubber at the end of a long stick, which he has to move side to side, while splitting his legs, and keeping himself upright, and still turn. There is no gravity, or bounce to help him. He whips the puck to one side quickly, he has to quickly stop it on the other side and send it back.

They can only cover a greater distance in shorter time only because they can get up to speed. To explode like that on skates is quite exhausting. The plays are constantly shifting back and down the ice. You have to stop and go much much more than in basketball. You are moving around much more to be in the right position than in basketball. One reason for this is there is no out of bounds unless someone shoots the puck into the crowd. Even in basketball if the ball is moving around, you only have so much space to move around in anyways, to follow and be in the play. The distance is less, therefore you dont even need a very high top speed.

In basketball, it is much easier to slow the pace down. In fact, that is what you usually see in an NBA game. If they can slow it down, they must because you dont want to be tired by the end of the game when the score is close. NBA players often hold onto the ball longer than 5 seconds if they can.

A hockey player has to try and shoot the puck harder, and harder with placement, to get it past the goalie. Basically, the faster the puck comes off your stick, the higher the chances it gets past the goalie.

Not sure if you understand what I'm arguing. I'm saying that hockey requires a higher level of decision making skills or sports IQ. Due in part to the faster pace and the fact that a hockey player spends much less time with the puck than a basketball player does with the ball.

The basketball equivalent of that move is when you go for a layout, but right when you are at the rim, you fake a pass to sike out the closest defender and lay up the ball. Or you sike out your defender with the nifty crossover and go in for an open lay-up.

That move, the hockey player pulled off requires more power than both the basketball equivalents. When a BBall player fakes the pass by extending his arm out with the ball and pulling in, and then extending in another direction for the layup. When you crossover, you can use gravity and the natural potential energy of an inflated ball (it can bounce).

The hockey player has a dense piece of rubber at the end of a long stick, which he has to move side to side, while splitting his legs, and keeping himself upright, and still turn. There is no gravity, or bounce to help him. He whips the puck to one side quickly, he has to quickly stop it on the other side and send it back.

Jumping and sprinting, staples in basketball, are going to be way more powerful than stick handling or dribbling.

Definition-wise I'm borrowing from Vic Bognioro's book - A History of Sport in which he loosely defines "sport" as a competitive activity that requires individuals to use their natural physical abilities in some form or another.

Hockey is clearly a competitive game: one team wins and one loses (unless it's a tie, LMAOO dumbest rule ever). The reason it isn't a sport is because individuals aren't utilizing their natural physical abilities since they are on skates. Figure skating and curling aren't sports for this same reason.

If you grant that games like hockey are sports, then you have to extend that categorization to nascar, horseback riding, chess, poker, darts, etc. You will find that most experts will disagree with you on the subject. I will continue to use the accepted definition of "sport" and leave hockey out of that realm.

Actual sports - basketball, football, baseball, etc.

This is one of the weakest arguments I've ever seen.

Not sure if you understand what I'm arguing. I'm saying that hockey requires a higher level of decision making skills or sports IQ. Due in part to the faster pace and the fact that a hockey player spends much less time with the puck than a basketball player does with the ball.

I can agree with that, but I dont even know if that is a fair comparison. Hockey requires more on every level, every category. But Basketball as a whole game percentage wise, is more about skill and less about physical athleticism than hockey is.

Jumping and sprinting, staples in basketball, are going to be way more powerful than stick handling or dribbling.

You really dont sprint a lot in basketball. When you do, the distances are so short, and you longer time between sprints. Same with jumping. It is not like NBA players hop up and down constantly. Volleyball players jump more than NBA players.

But if look at skating, it is basically jumping off one leg, but at any angle forward. The hockey players do this way more than a basketball player jumps. And it is basically their "sprinting"

It was already established itt that NHL only takes a minuscule amount of athletic ability. Pretty pointless and redundant to keep saying it does when most people itt agree that it doesn't. Don't compare it to a real sport (the beautiful game - basketball).

Does driving a car take athletic ability? Thought so.

Actually, hand-eye coordination is an athletic skill and most experts agree hockey players are required to develop it to a much higher level than basketball players. Not only that, superior hand-eye coordination makes you smarter.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-athletes-way/201311/hand-eye-coordination-improves-cognitive-and-social-skills

So not only are hockey players more athletic, they're smarter. If you need conclusive proof, read the first part of my post. If you still don't get it, improve your hand-eye coordination and try reading it again.

How heavy is this guy that cant do a pull up?

Back