Top NHL prospect fails to do a single pull-up at combine

Yes, I actually played some NHL growing up. There weren't very many places to play in LA when I was growing up but I was on one of the best teams in the region. Safe to say I'm much better than you or anybody else ITT. That's why I can say what I say, since I've played more and at a higher level than you or any of the other pseudo armchair experts.

lol grade d trolling in this thread. can ya'll actually make it funny?

Yes, I actually played some NHL growing up. There weren't very many places to play in LA when I was growing up but I was on one of the best teams in the region. Safe to say I'm much better than you or anybody else ITT. That's why I can say what I say, since I've played more and at a higher level than you or any of the other pseudo armchair experts.

I trained ufc pretty hard

So, long-distance running is a sport, but cross-country skiing is not because skiing isn't "natural"?

Did I get that right according to your definition?

That's a worthless definition then. There is no innate physical trait that is required in running that is not also required of cross-country skiing. In fact, cross-country skiing is probably more demanding.

That's a worthless definition then. There is no innate physical trait that is required in running that is not also required of cross-country skiing. In fact, cross-country skiing is probably more demanding.

Well, that's your opinion. I think people will agree that the facts I cite (based upon texts and studies) are of a much higher quality than the opinions of someone (you) who has admittedly never played a sport on any real level.

Basketball is a non contact sport by definition (Zillman 1974)

Well, that's your opinion. I think people will agree that the facts I cite (based upon texts and studies) are of a much higher quality than the opinions of someone (you) who has admittedly never played a sport on any real level.

What study did they do to determine that yours was the most correct definition of "sport"? Because, you know, that's what we're discussing. That honestly doesn't sound very publishable.

That's right cause you played some NHL in LA.

Oh and you took a loose definition and added your own assumption.

So thumb war is more of a sport than hockey? Did I get that correctly according to your definition?

This thread is archive worthy already because Revolver posted in it.

I never said NHL didn't require skill, only that it requires very little (if any) athleticism. Toughness is great, but bum-fights have tough athletes as well. The skill it takes to excel at an endeavor is not indicative of the level of athleticism of it's players.

It depends on your position and your role on the team actually. You're normally going to want to have strong athletic defense-men, along with a strong athletic checking line. Your playmakers don't necessarily have to be very athletic but it certainly helps (especially speed). Though they can certainly overcome any disadvantages they have athletically through skill and a high IQ.

There's a reason why this kid plays NHL and not basketball or football. He doesn't have the athletic gifts for actual sports.

You could also make the argument that people who play basketball and football don't have the sports IQ for hockey.

Heavies level posting by breakitcan in this thread.

Such a tryhard.

It depends on your position and your role on the team actually. You're normally going to want to have strong athletic defense-men, along with a strong athletic checking line. Your playmakers don't necessarily have to be very athletic but it certainly helps (especially speed). Though they can certainly overcome any disadvantages they have athletically through skill and a high IQ.

You could also make the argument that people who play basketball and football don't have the sports IQ for hockey.

The point in your first paragraph is even more true and prevalent in basketball.

In fact, you never saw athletic looking, shredded, muscular NBA players prior to the modern era. It became a trend to start lifting weights started by the NFL or college football. Even Baseball followed the trend. Look at Mark McGuire and Barry Bonds when they started.

Look at Magic, Bird, Isaiah, and even Jordan in his youth. They were stick figures. Maybe the trend has not happened to the NHL yet.

Ice hockey is played on a larger surface than Basketball. They have to chase a puck traveling faster and longer, because the boards keep it inside, than a basketball player does with his ball because he has out of bounds margins and can simply hold onto the ball to keep it in his possession. When hockey players try to score they must try and use ever increasing force. When a basketball players shoot at their own goal (basket), they have to use touch, and precision not force. Hockey players can knock another player off the puck. A basketball player cannot touch the guy with the ball.

How can basketball be a more athletic game and less about skill than Hockey? Anyone who thinks hockey is more about skill, and basketball more about athleticism has very little exposure to sports.

The point in your first paragraph is even more true and prevalent in basketball.

In fact, you never saw athletic looking, shredded, muscular NBA players prior to the modern era. It became a trend to start lifting weights started by the NFL or college football. Even Baseball followed the trend. Look at Mark McGuire and Barry Bonds when they started.

Look at Magic, Bird, Isaiah, and even Jordan in his youth. They were stick figures. Maybe the trend has not happened to the NHL yet.

Ice hockey is played on a larger surface than Basketball. They have to chase a puck traveling faster and longer, because the boards keep it inside, than a basketball player does with his ball because he has out of bounds margins and can simply hold onto the ball to keep it in his possession. When hockey players try to score they must try and use ever increasing force. When a basketball players shoot at their own goal (basket), they have to use touch, and precision not force. Hockey players can knock another player off the puck. A basketball player cannot touch the guy with the ball.

How can basketball be a more athletic game and less about skill than Hockey? Anyone who thinks hockey is more about skill, and basketball more about athleticism has very little exposure to sports.

You don't have to have touch, precision, and skill to score in hockey? ooookay

No, I'm pretty sure that hockey players of this day and age are well aware of anabolic steroids just like they are in all other sports.

Ice hockey is played on a larger surface than Basketball.

Yes, but on skates. So hockey players are covering a greater amount of distance in a shorter period of time.

They have to chase a puck traveling faster and longer, because the boards keep it inside, than a basketball player does with his ball because he has out of bounds margins and can simply hold onto the ball to keep it in his possession.

Not sure how this is relevant to anything.

When hockey players try to score they must try and use ever increasing force.

WTF???

Hockey players can knock another player off the puck. A basketball player cannot touch the guy with the ball.

Yep, basketball players can hold the ball for 5 seconds before making a decision on what to do while their opponents wait. Hockey players don't have that luxury.

Sports IQ and skill are two different things. I'm referring to having to make split second decisions and executing them. When it comes to this, hockey requires a much higher sports IQ than basketball does.

Back