Top NHL prospect fails to do a single pull-up at combine

That's pretty Pathetic at 17 I could do 20 , now at 28 I can do 36

If things don't work out for him in his can league then maybe he can be a ball boy for a real sports franchise. I'm sure they would allow him to fetch gatorade for some A-level athletes if he was willing to work for minimum wage

The guy is a top prospect. His athletic abilities are therefore indicative of the average top level NHL player. It's not a bad thing necessarily since NHL doesn't require an incredible level of athleticism anyways.

Hockey players have stronger lower bodies to begin with, and their athleticism doesn't translate into strength. You can't perform at hockey if you have weak legs though.

Being able to skate at 30mph and have a good indication of everything happening around you, and be able to see plays two steps ahead is the most valuable skill to have in hockey. So what if that doesn't translate in an ability to do pull ups? It is still a skill that separates them from other pro-athletes. But the fact is hockey players work hard in the gym to strengthen their bodies and to recover from injuries. Hockey players are tough as nails.

He'd still get a decision against Johny Hendricks in a 5 round fight.

Hockey players have stronger lower bodies to begin with, and their athleticism doesn't translate into strength. You can't perform at hockey if you have weak legs though.

TBH this isn't much of an argument for the relative athletic level of NHL. The most athletic players in the world are basketball players and most of them have dainty, twig like legs. Studies are just now proving that having larger, more muscular legs is actually detrimental to overall athleticism.

Sebchenier said:
Being able to skate at 30mph and have a good indication of everything happening around you, and be able to see plays two steps ahead is the most valuable skill to have in hockey. So what if that doesn't translate in an ability to do pull ups? It is still a skill that separates them from other pro-athletes. But the fact is hockey players work hard in the gym to strengthen their bodies and to recover from injuries. Hockey players are tough as nails.

I never said NHL didn't require skill, only that it requires very little (if any) athleticism. Toughness is great, but bum-fights have tough athletes as well. The skill it takes to excel at an endeavor is not indicative of the level of athleticism of it's players.

There's a reason why this kid plays NHL and not basketball or football. He doesn't have the athletic gifts for actual sports.

Kid isn't even fit enough to be a bat boy for my beer league.

TBH this isn't much of an argument for the relative athletic level of NHL. The most athletic players in the world are basketball players and most of them have dainty, twig like legs. Studies are just now proving that having larger, more muscular legs is actually detrimental to overall athleticism.

I never said NHL didn't require skill, only that it requires very little (if any) athleticism. Toughness is great, but bum-fights have tough athletes as well. The skill it takes to excel at an endeavor is not indicative of the level of athleticism of it's players.

There's a reason why this kid plays NHL and not basketball or football. He doesn't have the athletic gifts for actual sports.

List actual sports, provide a definition to.

List actual sports, provide a definition to.

Definition-wise I'm borrowing from Vic Bognioro's book - A History of Sport in which he loosely defines "sport" as a competitive activity that requires individuals to use their natural physical abilities in some form or another.

Hockey is clearly a competitive game: one team wins and one loses (unless it's a tie, LMAOO dumbest rule ever). The reason it isn't a sport is because individuals aren't utilizing their natural physical abilities since they are on skates. Figure skating and curling aren't sports for this same reason.

If you grant that games like hockey are sports, then you have to extend that categorization to nascar, horseback riding, chess, poker, darts, etc. You will find that most experts will disagree with you on the subject. I will continue to use the accepted definition of "sport" and leave hockey out of that realm.

Actual sports - basketball, football, baseball, etc.

lol @ all the hockey nutthuggers in here try to defend the legitimacy of their sport.

As if you don't dick ride the Ducks.

Or is that only when they're good? Bandwagon fan.

EXPOSED

http___makeagif_com__media_1_08_2014_sok_fl_by_spiderking99-d71ep5p.gif

How can sports bar regulars of all people get into these arguments about the legitimacy of their favorite sports? Breakitdown just revealed he knows so little about hockey that he still thinks ties are a part of the game (that ended a decade ago) for fuck's sake.

Definition-wise I'm borrowing from Vic Bognioro's book - A History of Sport in which he loosely defines "sport" as a competitive activity that requires individuals to use their natural physical abilities in some form or another.

Hockey is clearly a competitive game: one team wins and one loses (unless it's a tie, LMAOO dumbest rule ever). The reason it isn't a sport is because individuals aren't utilizing their natural physical abilities since they are on skates. Figure skating and curling aren't sports for this same reason.

If you grant that games like hockey are sports, then you have to extend that categorization to nascar, horseback riding, chess, poker, darts, etc. You will find that most experts will disagree with you on the subject. I will continue to use the accepted definition of "sport" and leave hockey out of that realm.

Actual sports - basketball, football, baseball, etc.

Do you know how to skate?

Back