top MW's who can be top at WW?

Saskatoonmike**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
With Nate Marquart falling short and thus far showing he was able to have much more success at MW then at WW (perennial top ten and title shot at MW) which other uber successful MW do you think might be able to compete at WW and crack and maintain in the top ten?

I think Maia will struggle to meet the success he had at MW as a perennial top ten and title shot. I think he will repeat what he did at MW and sub a bunch of guys until he is fighting consistent top ten guys.

are there any top MW's who you think could drop and be successful at the top of WW?

yet another thread where a GSP fan tries to trash the MW division as an attempt to elevate GSP's status further while belittling Anderson Silva's MW reign

Last edited:
yet another thread where a GSP fan tries to trash the MW division as an attempt to elevate GSP's status further while belittling Anderson Silva's MW reign

Lol this is what I was thinking too. Let's just pretend that MArquardt didn't beat a top 10 WW in his WW debut and that Maia beat a top 15-20 (formerly top 10) Story with ease.

In case this isn't a thinly veiled troll thread, I don't think any of the top 10 MW will comfortably make WW. I;m still surprised Marquardt is down there.

yet another thread where a GSP fan tries to trash the MW division as an attempt to elevate GSP's status further while belittling Anderson Silva's MW reign.

Yup. That's all this is...

Also Kampmann got bulldozed by Marquardt and ended up being top 10 at WW for a while.

Hector Lombard was supposed to fight in the UFC at 170 the first time he signed with them before UFC 78, but due to visa problems, that did not happen. Hector is only 5 foot 8, and he does not cut that much weight to get to 185. I think he would be the guy to make some noise and get the shot at the title, if things do not work out at MW in the end. GSP will still beat him in a 5 round fight.

Someone with a style like Maia's are probably a lot more effective at WW since they wouldn't be at a major strength disadvantage like they would at MW. With that said WW has a lot more depth (Especially in the 5-15 range)

Rory could goto 185 and take out half the division, Rory vs. Nate would be sick at 185.

Rory could goto 185 and take out half the division, Rory vs. Nate would be sick at 185.

rory vs any top 10 mw would be great, i would love to see rory vs bisping

Hector Lombard was supposed to fight in the UFC at 170 the first time he signed with them before UFC 78, but due to visa problems, that did not happen. Hector is only 5 foot 8, and he does not cut that much weight to get to 185. I think he would be the guy to make some noise and get the shot at the title, if things do not work out at MW in the end. GSP will still beat him in a 5 round fight.

C'mon, Hector would never make it to a championship fight in the WW division.

Lol this is what I was thinking too. Let's just pretend that MArquardt didn't beat a top 10 WW in his WW debut and that Maia beat a top 15-20 (formerly top 10) Story with ease.

In case this isn't a thinly veiled troll thread, I don't think any of the top 10 MW will comfortably make WW. I;m still surprised Marquardt is down there.

Relax man. Of course a perennial top 10 MW in either Maia or marquart should be able to beat at least one top 10-20 WW. No one should be shocked by that.

The question is can any of them make consistent top 10 status and do as well as they did at MW?

for instance Maia ran thru MW's when he debuted including Chael and was perennial tpp ten and got a title shot. now he is running thru top 15-20 WW's and has his first chance to beat a Chael level WW in Fitch. the bigger question is can he match or exceed what he did at MW? Can any top MW drop and exceed their MW runs?

Maia is going to grapple-fuck Fitch to a UD and give him a taste of his own medicine

Fact is fact. WW has been stronger than MW.

Relax man. Of course a perennial top 10 MW in either Maia or marquart should be able to beat at least one top 10-20 WW. No one should be shocked by that.

The question is can any of them make consistent top 10 status and do as well as they did at MW.

for instance Maia ran thru MW's when he debuted including Chael and was perennial tpp ten and got a title shot. now he is running thru top 15-20 WW's and has his first chance to beat a Chael level WW in Fitch. the bigger question is can he match or exceed what he did at MW? Can any top MW drop and exceed their MW runs?

Lol I am relaxed I'm not easily offended by things on here. The problem with Maia and Marquardt will be their age imo. Marquardt and Maia made their WW debuts at 33 and 35 years old. They are not going to magically become more diverse and probably can not get too much better. Sonnen dropped to MW a long time ago and his style is much more different, he relies heavily on top control and being stronger than his opponent so a change in weigthclass would benefit him no doubt.

Look at a guy like Kampmann. He was doing well at MW until he lost to Marquardt. He dropped to WW while he was still young and is top 10 (although he gets into some trouble in most his fights he wins).

The current MW top 10 is too old and big to make WW and dominate

Maia is going to grapple-fuck Fitch to a UD and give him a taste of his own medicine

What is Jonh Fitch's Medicine.?

Back