Movies TOP GUN: MAVERICK (Named Best Picture by National Board of Review, post #1201)

If you have seen TOP GUN: MAVERICK, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
The action-drama sequel "Top Gun: Maverick," the year's top-grossing film, makes its Paramount+ debut on Thursday, December 22 in the US. The film also hits the platform that day in Canada, Australia, Germany, Austria, Italy, the UK, and throughout Latin America.

Paramount has got to be relieved to finally be getting Maverick on their streaming platform.

Was this movie supposed to be cheesy? I mean was it supposed to be a throwback to the 80s/90s feel of a movie? I only watched the first half on an airplane flight and it just felt super......cheesey.

Like the whole riding the motorcycle, singing in the bar, premise of him going 10Gs or whatever, the "hotshot" pilot vs the "wild hothead"...or course the female pilot.....beach football, etc. It wasn't bad it was just so over the top corny I wasn't sure if it was actually supposed to be seroius of was more like an homage to the original.

I watched this 3 times on bluray. They definitely made a point to include emotional poignant scenes like:

Penny inside the bar after having had Mav tossed out seeing him having some distress from flashbacks from Rooster playing piano like Goose.

Mav saying goodbye and thanks to Hondo before the big mission in case he doesn't make it back.

Mav's conflict not wanting to send Rooster to his death.

Amelia catching Mav escape out the window and telling him just don't break the mom's heart again.

Mav telling Penny he kept Rooster's mom telling him to pull his papers a secret to not have him resent his mom too.

Hangman telling Rooser give 'em hell before the big mission, then their handshake upon safe return to the carrier.

Mav and Penny standing shoulder to shoulder after Mav tells her he's leaving for the big mission.

Iceman and Mav's in person talk.

They also included the major elements from the first movie:

Bar fun

School time

Shirtless beach sports playing

Mav riding the motorcycle

Big mission

School rivals reconciling

Was this movie supposed to be cheesy? I mean was it supposed to be a throwback to the 80s/90s feel of a movie? I only watched the first half on an airplane flight and it just felt super......cheesey.

Like the whole riding the motorcycle, singing in the bar, premise of him going 10Gs or whatever, the "hotshot" pilot vs the "wild hothead"...or course the female pilot.....beach football, etc. It wasn't bad it was just so over the top corny I wasn't sure if it was actually supposed to be seroius of was more like an homage to the original.
There was large bit of homage to the original for sure, which was a large part of its appeal for the Gen Xers like myself. But, it also had enough of a different and compelling story to stand on its own.

I watched this 3 times on bluray. They definitely made a point to include emotional poignant scenes like:

Penny inside the bar after having had Mav tossed out seeing him having some distress from flashbacks from Rooster playing piano like Goose.

Mav saying goodbye and thanks to Hondo before the big mission in case he doesn't make it back.

Mav's conflict not wanting to send Rooster to his death.

Amelia catching Mav escape out the window and telling him just don't break the mom's heart again.

Mav telling Penny he kept Rooster's mom telling him to pull his papers a secret to not have him resent his mom too.

Hangman telling Rooser give 'em hell before the big mission, then their handshake upon safe return to the carrier.

Mav and Penny standing shoulder to shoulder after Mav tells her he's leaving for the big mission.

Iceman and Mav's in person talk.

They also included the major elements from the first movie:

Bar fun

School time

Shirtless beach sports playing

Mav riding the motorcycle

Big mission

School rivals reconciling
Rooster telling Maverick “it’s what my dad would have done.” Was a gut punch. Beautiful moment

Top Gun Maverick returning to theaters for 2 weeks in December!

The studio has just announced that they will be re-releasing the Top Gun sequel for a limited time in December, scheduling Maverick's return to theaters for Dec. 2 through Dec. 15, 2022. This release includes showings in nationwide theaters including those with select premium large formats and IMAX.

https://movieweb.com/top-gun-maverick-return-to-theaters/

Are they mixing in new additional footage like maybe some other movies did when they went back to theaters? Didn't buy the 4K disc yet. Maybe next year Black Fri.

Are they mixing in new additional footage like maybe some other movies did when they went back to theaters? Didn't buy the 4K disc yet. Maybe next year Black Fri.
Doubt it since it hasn't been very long since it left. I think this is more just letting people have one last chance to see it on the big screen.

I couldn't resist buying the 4K. And let me tell you, it looks beautiful! But I'll probably still go see it again in IMAX since I missed it there.

They did it via getting you in the feels with emotional poignant scenes instead of gun fights, car chases, explosions, bad The Rock one liners. Wouldn't have objected to some Jennifer Connelly nudity.

The few dogfight scenes were also cool like getting Hangman to look at the sun, Mav shielding Rooster with his own F-18, F-14 vs Su-57/Pak-Fa T-50.

Saw it when it came out, then again during the rerelease a few months later, now we get a surprise 3rd bite of the apple for the holidays...

If they could just keep rereleasing it like this every few months, this could be the first movie I ever have memories of watching & rewatching only in its full IMAX glory.

office-space-lumbergh.gif

Was 0:30-0:33 in the movie? Where he pulls up to North Island and looks at the F-14 statue? I don't remember it being there.

Was 0:30-0:33 in the movie? Where he pulls up to North Island and looks at the F-14 statue? I don't remember it being there.

I've seen it twice in IMAX, and I'm gonna say no, I would have remembered that shot. Don't think I've ever seen it before. Either a deleted scene, or just shot for the trailer.

100% not in the movie

Fun fact followed by rumor:
Top Gun 1 the scene at Vipers house was actually US Coast Guard housing at the "new" Point Loma Lighthouse.

They were shooting there for this movie but never used it, rumor is that the right someone in the CG wasn't notified, got all pissy and the studio said "guess we won't be using the footage"

Fun fact followed by rumor:
Top Gun 1 the scene at Vipers house was actually US Coast Guard housing at the "new" Point Loma Lighthouse.

They were shooting there for this movie but never used it, rumor is that the right someone in the CG wasn't notified, got all pissy and the studio said "guess we won't be using the footage"
Damn, and I don't think they included any deleted scenes on the disc either.

Damn, only a few days left. I need to try and catch this in IMAX before it goes away again. Unfortunately the closest one is 2 hours away. 3 if I want to go to a legit massive IMAX screen. (I think the 2 hour one is a Liemax)

Back