Movies TOP GUN: MAVERICK (Named Best Picture by National Board of Review, post #1201)

If you have seen TOP GUN: MAVERICK, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
64d7920ae785067f4f0837e53966354d414d84ee.gif

Christina Hendricks isn’t much younger and still one of the sexiest actresses today while also having a sweet nature to her. I can imagine her filling the fuck out of a sweater behind that bar. She’s 47 so it still would have been age appropriate
I don't know who that is, but...

mergc-mama.gif

I hope this wasn't a one off. I hope it stays that way. I wish we could turn our backs as a whole from china. At least in terms of sports and entertainment. (Something realistic and easily doable)

I believe Thor: Love and Thunder has been banned due to having LGBTQ characters. Marvel could have cut the scenes that offended the Chinese censors, but chose not to do so. And rightly so, IMHO.

One of the best movies that I've seen in a while. Nostalgia? Yeah. In fact, I told the younger guys I work with I watched a very different movie than they did. But it did have a lot of originality to it. A lot like Rocky Balboa, it was like "The time for this movie has passed? Fuck you."

t1.jpg

$600+ million domestic is a rare feat, the sort of haul that is almost only attainable if it's a Star Wars, MCU or James Cameron film. Only 12 have done it and they're also the only releases to even cross beyond 550m; only 17 have managed to do 500+. Titanic had a 2012 re-release that puts its actual final domestic total at around $659m but TGM is still coming for that anyway. It'll pass Last Jedi (puke) and Avengers this week to break into the Top 10 all-time domestic unadjusted. Tom deserves every bit of this massive late career success.

Baller

He’s always had such a genuine enthusiasm and passion that comes across to the audience in all of his movies. Whether it was a cameo like Tropic Thunder, a villain like Interview or Collatral or a more dramatic role like Born on The 4th of July, you could always tell how much of a passion project it was for him. People can criticize his acting all they want but you can never accuse him of phoning it in.

64d7920ae785067f4f0837e53966354d414d84ee.gif

Christina Hendricks isn’t much younger and still one of the sexiest actresses today while also having a sweet nature to her. I can imagine her filling the fuck out of a sweater behind that bar. She’s 47 so it still would have been age appropriate
She really has to be able to control her dress and look to look great, because she is quit3 over weight.

Nothing wrong with that for the guys who love over weight gals, especially the busty one, but for a movie like Top Gun you want more broad based appeal.

Just watch her in the movie Drive and how, they just could not get her to look sexy due to the clothing requirements for that film.

t1.jpg

$600+ million domestic is a rare feat, the sort of haul that is almost only attainable if it's a Star Wars, MCU or James Cameron film. Only 12 have done it and they're also the only releases to even cross beyond 550m; only 17 have managed to do 500+. Titanic had a 2012 re-release that puts its actual final domestic total at around $659m but TGM is still coming for that anyway. It'll pass Last Jedi (puke) and Avengers this week to break into the Top 10 all-time domestic unadjusted. Tom deserves every bit of this massive late career success.

These are extreme, genuinely life-risking stunts he's pulling off (at 60 years old no less, lol) and completely uncalled for. The dude is an adrenaline junkie utterly obsessed with putting as authentic a product as possible on the screen for the purpose of entertaining his fans. He could make the exact same cake without doing this sort of absurd shit and but does it anyway. @Madmick was right, he isn't the greatest action star of all-time. He's the Greatest Movie Star of All-Time.

I remember watching the BTS for Mission Impossible 2 and that knife fight on the beach? The one where Ethan Hunt stops a knife about a half inch from his eyeball? That was a practical effect and, against John Woo's wishes and while his back was turned, that was Tom Cruise who did that! Ordered the stunt guy to step out and stepped into a potential pirate situation. Maddest of lads.

I remember watching the BTS for Mission Impossible 2 and that knife fight on the beach? The one where Ethan Hunt stops a knife about a half inch from his eyeball? That was a practical effect and, against John Woo's wishes and while his back was turned, that was Tom Cruise who did that! Ordered the stunt guy to step out and stepped into a potential pirate situation. Maddest of lads.

I honestly think it was even closer than that. It was something insane like 1/4 inch. I rememeber reading about it. The actor playing the badguy was scared to death of hurting Tom but Tom kept being like "It's ok. Just do it. Go as hard as you can. It'll be fine." Apparently Tom had to reassure him multiple times across multiple takes because he kept pulling his power at the last second. Finally, after many reasurances, the guy went full force and that's the one we got in the movie.

I just don't understand how he can be so utterly fearless. Even though the knife was attached to a steel cable and bolted to a steel beam overhead, there's just no possible way you'd ever get me to take Tom Cruise's place in that scene. The thought of getting stabbed in the eye because of some freak snappage is just too overwhelming.

He's gotta have King Kong-sized balls. The dude is just awesome.
<escalate99>

I honestly think it was even closer than that. It was something insane like 1/4 inch. I rememeber reading about it. The actor playing the badguy was scared to death of hurting Tom but Tom kept being like "It's ok. Just do it. Go as hard as you can. It'll be fine." Apparently Tom had to reassure him multiple times across multiple takes because he kept pulling his power at the last second. Finally, after many reasurances, the guy went full force and that's the one we got in the movie.

I just don't understand how he can be so utterly fearless. Even though the knife was attached to a steel cable and bolted to a steel beam overhead, there's just no possible way you'd ever get me to take Tom Cruise's place in that scene. The thought of getting stabbed in the eye because of some freak snappage is just too overwhelming.

<escalate99>

Was it Dougray Scott doing it or a stuntman? Crazy either way. I would almost be as uncomfortable doing it as being in Cruise's spot.

<escalate99>
And he is one mis-step away from death in many films.

It does not matter that he is a skilled helicopter pilot getting praise from stunt pilots on being willing and able to do crazy things guys with 100 times the hours would not attempt or do like barrel rolling the helicopter.

That is fine to do when everything goes right but when one thing goes wrong, it is the years of small experience in other situations that provide you the 'feel' to make the quick automatic corrections to recover. Tom does not have those hours so he is just gambling that situation does not arise during a movie, which is a good odds best.

Hop in a race car, power boat or fast jet ski or motor cycle and you can quickly learn to go fast and do certain things but it is the first time you deal with some thing going wrong, that you have never experienced before and thus don't have the muscle memory to correct that things go catastrophically wrong.

I hope it never happens to Tom, but as an adrenaline junkie myself I can tell you he is one mistake away.

These are extreme, genuinely life-risking stunts he's pulling off (at 60 years old no less, lol) and completely uncalled for. The dude is an adrenaline junkie utterly obsessed with putting as authentic a product as possible on the screen for the purpose of entertaining his fans. He could make the exact same cake without doing this sort of absurd shit and but does it anyway. @Madmick was right, he isn't the greatest action star of all-time. He's the Greatest Movie Star of All-Time.

You almost hope he goes out on his sword like a hero instead of dying in bed with a diaper on.

The worst thing would be for him to get some kind of head trauma and become crippled. Nobody wants to see the movie that crippled Tom Cruise.

They want to see the movie that killed him

You almost hope he goes out on his sword like a hero instead of dying in bed with a diaper on.

The worst thing would be for him to get some kind of head trauma and become crippled. Nobody wants to see the movie that crippled Tom Cruise.

They want to see the movie that killed him

It's no small feat that he's now 60 and it would still seem like James Dean or River Phoenix or Brandon Lee if that came to pass.

I just went again this past Friday night (lol) at the request of my oldest, theater was still fucking packed 50+ days in.
Just for the hell of it, last week I checked a 7pm showing at my local theater just to see how packed it was and the show was damn near sold out. It's just unreal. It definitely has that oldschool blockbuster vibe.

Was it Dougray Scott doing it or a stuntman? Crazy either way. I would almost be as uncomfortable doing it as being in Cruise's spot.
No, it was Dougray Scott.

She was a good choice for the part. It was honestly unexpected, but very satisfying.

I've been trying to think of who else could have played the role and I haven't come up with too many names.

Demi Moore?
Sandra Bullock?
Julia Roberts? How would you all have felt about her & Cruise together?

No, it was Dougray Scott.

Damn. He had to go through that anxiety and the injury that kept him from being Wolverine. He's probably got some regrets.

I was hoping with Thor divebombing in it’s second week that they would put Maverick back in imax. To my surprise, Nope is taking up all the imax showings starting Thursday. It does look like a visually stunning movie but I wasn’t thinking imax.

Back