Movies TOP GUN: MAVERICK (Named Best Picture by National Board of Review, post #1201)

If you have seen TOP GUN: MAVERICK, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Looks like I've been called back to Top Gun.
200w.gif

Going in for #3 tonight.
Tomorrow is the last night it’ll be in IMAX, I imagine. Thor comes out Thursday. I think I gotta go.

Tomorrow is the last night it’ll be in IMAX, I imagine. Thor comes out Thursday. I think I gotta go.
It will probably return again in IMAX in mid august to labor day since its week day holds have been great. I don't see anything else on the schedule that could be suited for those screens during that schedule. Thor would have then winded down on the showings

I haven't been lucky enough to see it in IMAX. I was gonna go to 4DX a couple weeks ago but I ended up backing out at the last second (I didn't feel like driving 2 hours one way by myself). Luckily my local Cinemark brought it back to XD so that's where I'm going tonight. If they keep it there for another week I might go again after this.
<mma4>

But like you said....fucking Thor will probably kick it out by next week.
<DisgustingHHH>

Finally got around to seeing it; I love movies but hate people. So I tend to wait until a movie is near the end of it's run and the cinema is nice and quiet. There was only one other person at my showing. Bliss:)

The movie itself delivered big time. The flight scenes are insane, especially considering much of it is practical effects rather than green screen. And the actors themselves were up there for some of it.

Iceman...damn, Kilmer brought The Feels. <DCrying>

As for Cruise, I'm now convinced that Interview With a Vampire was a documentary. And they digitally aged Tom to make him appear human in this movie;)

Joking aside, for a guy who was pushing 60 when he made this, Cruise looks ridiculously good. And yeah, I know it's his job and he can afford the best trainers and, ahem, "nutrition" etc in the world, but I still give the man props for putting the work in.

Top Gun: Maverick played the Nostalgia Hits without ever feeling like it was cheap pandering. No attempt to push any particular message, just a balls-out adventure designed to entertain it's audience. Oh, and Miles Teller looks like a Clone of Anthony Edwards. Seriously, the resemblance is uncanny.

My only minor gripe was that stealing the F-14 felt a bit like a Top Gun/Mission Impossible fan fiction crossover. But in no way did it detract from a film which is, by orders of magnitude, the most fun I've had in a cinema this year.

10/10

My only minor gripe was that stealing the F-14 felt a bit like a Top Gun/Mission Impossible fan fiction crossover. But in no way did it detract from a film which is, by orders of magnitude, the most fun I've had in a cinema this year.

I've heard a person or two say the whole F-14 bit was "too much" but I gotta disagree. First, they set it up early in the film so it's not completely out of nowhere. Second, if you have an F-14 and a pilot that knows how to fly it, and he ends up flying it, what's the issue? It's not some outlandish random bullshit that's totally unbelievable. The pieces that need to be there are there and it works perfectly (it's not like Mav stole an Su-57 and magically knew how to fly it). Yeah, there was some luck involved that the plane happened to be unscathed and ready to go, but again, it wasn't like they drove it out of a museam and it magically worked. It was at a fully operational base and kept mission-ready by the badguys. Third, all of the people on the base were super distracted and all of the smoke clouding the air was the perfect cover for them to get to the plane. Fourth, even if the badguys saw the F-14 taking off, guaranteed they're not going to be suspicious about it. At most, they'd be thinking: "Alright! One of our guys is going to kick some ass! Get some!"

So as a whole, it's really quite plausible if you think about it. It seems to be a lack of thinking why some people don't understand all of this.

(I'm not meaning to accost you in any way, it's just a person I saw the movie with irritated me by the way they brought it up. "Like, OMG, totally unrealistic and cheesy. How could an F-14 be there? How could he even fly it? It doesn't make any sense. Soooo unrealistic!")
Me to them:
55839085.jpg

I've heard a person or two say the whole F-14 bit was "too much" but I gotta disagree. First, they set it up early in the film so it's not completely out of nowhere. Second, if you have an F-14 and a pilot that knows how to fly it, and he ends up flying it, what's the issue? It's not some outlandish random bullshit that's totally unbelievable. The pieces that need to be there are there and it works perfectly (it's not like Mav stole an Su-57 and magically knew how to fly it). Yeah, there was some luck involved that the plane happened to be unscathed and ready to go, but again, it wasn't like they drove it out of a museam and it magically worked. It was at a fully operational base and kept mission-ready by the badguys. Third, all of the people on the base were super distracted and all of the smoke clouding the air was the perfect cover for them to get to the plane. Fourth, even if the badguys saw the F-14 taking off, guaranteed they're not going to be suspicious about it. At most, they'd be thinking: "Alright! One of our guys is going to kick some ass! Get some!"

So as a whole, it's really quite plausible if you think about it. It seems to be a lack of thinking why some people don't understand all of this.

(I'm not meaning to accost you in any way, it's just a person I saw the movie with irritated me by the way they brought it up. "Like, OMG, totally unrealistic and cheesy. How could an F-14 be there? How could he even fly it? It doesn't make any sense. Soooo unrealistic!")
Me to them:
55839085.jpg

giphy (3).gif

Like I said, a minor gripe, which in no way detracts from the best movie I've seen this year.

It was ok. Tom cruise larping as the most decorated navy fighter pilot almost feels like stolen valor to me. Although to be fair I was never a top gun fan in this first place.

The flight scenes did have me on the edge of my seat though. Hearing the jet engines roar is pretty cool too. But ultimately I don’t understand the hype this movie got

7/10

Last edited:
(Maverick, wearing his high-tech flight suit, asks the waitress at the diner where he is)

Kid, "Um...earth"

Fun fact: that scene is based on what happened to Yuri Gagarin. He landed near a remote Russian village, and the peasants who lived there thought he was from another planet.

This scene also had me crying with laughter,

Maverick, "What the hell were you thinking?!"

Rooster(raises his arms)"You told me NOT TO THINK!"

Maverick can only stand there. It's the one of the few times in the movie he's speechless.

Jennifer Connelly's still hot.
She was a good choice for the part. It was honestly unexpected, but very satisfying.

I've been trying to think of who else could have played the role and I haven't come up with too many names.

Demi Moore?
Sandra Bullock?

She was a good choice for the part. It was honestly unexpected, but very satisfying.

I've been trying to think of who else could have played the role and I haven't come up with too many names.

Demi Moore?
Sandra Bullock?

Not sure about Demi Moore these days. I guess Bullock is kind of an option though she's looking a little artificial. Same with Nicole Kidman, though that ship has obviously sailed anyway.

Maybe Diane Lane or Marisa Tomei or Helen Hunt... I dunno, not a lot of options. I think Connelly was the best choice.

Andie MacDowell might be the next best option.

64d7920ae785067f4f0837e53966354d414d84ee.gif

Christina Hendricks isn’t much younger and still one of the sexiest actresses today while also having a sweet nature to her. I can imagine her filling the fuck out of a sweater behind that bar. She’s 47 so it still would have been age appropriate

It would beat it worldwide if it played in China. Those bastards.

But still, domestic is impressive. It's not often a movie gets this high domestically.

It's good to see mega-stars like Cruise and the big studios tell nations like China to go take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut. We're no longer going to butcher our movies to conform to your pathetic, "culture". Movies like Maverick are good enough to make insane amounts of money without prostituting themselves to China:cool:

It's good to see mega-stars like Cruise and the big studios tell nations like China to go take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut. We're no longer going to butcher our movies to conform to your pathetic, "culture". Movies like Maverick are good enough to make insane amounts of money without prostituting themselves to China:cool:
I hope this wasn't a one off. I hope it stays that way. I wish we could turn our backs as a whole from china. At least in terms of sports and entertainment. (Something realistic and easily doable)

Back