Top Fighter by era

GSP is the best athlete... not the best fighter.

Bas gets way overrated on this sight

Site... and he was damn good. I'm not sure what argument you can have against his successes outside of "competition was easier back then" which is true for all fighters since nobody knew who was legit and who was fighting other bums until around 2004.

He was a striker who lost 3 submissions and two decisions..... and other than that just straight-up murdered people.

He defeated Suzuki, Fuke, F Shamrock, Maurice Smith, Guy Mezger, Yamada, Takahashi, TK, Randleman etc... I don't want to go through the history of why each of those is significant, but they're all legit wins.

Site... and he was damn good. I'm not sure what argument you can have against his successes outside of "competition was easier back then" which is true for all fighters since nobody knew who was legit and who was fighting other bums until around 2004.

He was good no doubt but he wasnt fighting full contact NHB for alot of that period, He was in an organization that didn't allow closed fist strikes, had rope breaks and was none for its dubious matchmaking. When he finaly did fight full contact NHB he wasnt having his way like he did in pancrase and he didnt fight hardly any of the good HW of that era.

Look at the HWs that where around in that era and how many did Bas fight?

Last edited:
September 28, 1976 - Eternity
1. Fedor

[YT]jjZS2l0Hp8Q[/YT]

He was good no doubt but he wasnt fighting full contact NHB for alot of that period, He was in an organization that didn't allow closed fist strikes, had rope breaks and was none for its dubious matchmaking. When he finaly did fight full contact NHB he wasnt havent his way like he did in pancrase and he didnt fight hardly any of the good HW of that era.

Look at the HWs that where around in that era and how many did Bas fight?

He was never really a HW. I know he ended up fighting for the HW title, but he was always a guy fighting people who were what we'd consider LHW.

The whole organizational-rules argument falls under the same consideration as "weaker competition back then." There were lots of small orgs with differing rules and lots of supposed dubious matchups. That said, Bas dominated in his league and in his time.

So as far as "best fighters of an era" goes, he's at least within consideration. I still think Tamura gives him a run though.

He was never really a HW. I know he ended up fighting for the HW title, but he was always a guy fighting people who were what we'd consider LHW.

The whole organizational-rules argument falls under the same consideration as "weaker competition back then." There were lots of small orgs with differing rules and lots of supposed dubious matchups. That said, Bas dominated in his league and in his time.

So as far as "best fighters of an era" goes, he's at least within consideration. I still think Tamura gives him a run though.

With Pancrase I cant get past the open palm striking and rope breaks, it made it a completely different sport and far from what was going on in the UFC, IVC, WVC, extreme challenge and a like.

having just Bas in there also sells short the achievements of guys like Frye, Coleman, Rickson guys that where cutting there in the NHB arena

Rumina Sato deserves a mention.

Pre Zuffa Era 1997-2001 Frank Shamrock
Zuffa Pre TUF era 2001-2005 Randy Couture
TUF v Pride Era 2005-2007 Chuck Liddell
Post Pride Era 2007-2011 Anderson Silva
Jon Jones Era 2011- Present Jon Jones

Lol. No fedor? Wanderlei

Back