Top 50 fighters in UFC - current P4P

you put a lot of effort into it, i like it!!!

I really like this for what it is. A mathematical based ranking system based on wins, current roll, etc. very cool. I'd love to see a "BCS" style ranking that incorporated this with the top 25 from different papers and sites.

Any talks about doing something like that? Also, are you willing to share the weighting system and variables you use?

Again, thanks for the hard work on putting this together.

Thank you guys.

blkjack, biggest difference between algorithm/computer based ranking and poll/people voting based ranking is that people take into consideration future expectations and popularity.
Our algorithm uses only facts, not predictions. Fact are only things that already happened, not future events.
When somebody is given a title shot, pols immediately move that fighter up. If somebody is given a title shot, it doesn't mean he deserved it, or even that title fight will actually happen.
Also, many people have a short memory and can easily mix-up some facts.
Computer doesn't forget. Yes somebody can delete something or enter something incorrectly, but that is a different story.

If you have any question regarding our system, please ask. Maybe it is better if you first check our website and then ask questions.

Almost half of the top 50 fighters have W in the last 4 fights (W-W-W-W).

W-W-W-W = 24
W-W-W-L = 5
W-W-L-W = 4
W-L-W-W = 3
W-L-W-L = 2
W-L-L-W = 1
N-W-W-L = 1
L-W-W-W = 6
L-W-L-W = 3
L-L-W-L = 1

The only top 50 fighter with 3 losses in the last 4 fights is Lyoto Machida.

Top 50 fighter with 2 losses in the last 4 fights:
- Chad Mendes
- Renan Barao
- Alexander Gustafsson
- Benson Henderson

Bones is still under contract and considered a UFC fighter. Too bad he isn't on the list, he beats the shit out of just about anyone on it.

Good P4P ranking system. Do not agree with some of them but eh,it happens. Thanks TS

Good P4P ranking system. Do not agree with some of them but eh,it happens. Thanks TS

There is no ranking that can make everybody happy.
And that is why our goal is to have 90% of people fine with 90% of our content.

You always have guys that throw insults on everything or put just LOL's or "you mad bro", like:
Kelman - This list is really terrible. This is a pile of BS.
MTNinja - Looooool.

But there should be no more than 10% of people like that. They are just very vocal.

Most of the people here complain about one or two fighters being too high or too low.
That is acceptable for us because everybody has favorite fighters and fighters that they dislike. And that is fine.

What I really appreciate is when number of people start complaining about something obviously out of place.
That helps us fix our issues. Most of the time those issues are incomplete or incorrect data. It happened several times that we recorded incorrect result (put Win instead of Loss) or missed some fight.

Thanks for your support.

I know Gus doesn't have many top wins, but he deserves some points for losing to Jones.

Regarding Nurmagomedov and JDS current rankings.
I would understand your concern about JDS being ranked lower than Khabib if we are talking about All Time (whole career) ranking.
On that ranking JDS is much higher (#34) than Khabib (#153).

But this is the Current Ranking and there is no doubt on who did more in the last few years.

Khabib and JDS both only fought once since 2014.

i have a feeling a lot of people are going to be upset about Gustofson's placement. yeah, im sure i spelled that wrong.
Gus hasn't really done much in the last 2 years. Knocked out by Rumble and beat Manuwa who isn't anywhere near the top of the division. One of the best fighters in the division for sure, but due to constant entanglement in delayed/cancelled title fights he doesn't have the results to show for it.
I know Gus doesn't have many top wins, but he deserves some points for losing to Jones.

Gus vs. JBJ was a very, very close fight. And it was for the UFC belt.
That's why at that time Gus didn't lose any points (even earned some).

Here is our LHW ranking before that fight:

h_FtrRkTbl_Ctg_205_201307.jpg

And LHW ranking after:

h_FtrRkTbl_Ctg_205_201310.jpg

When we published those 2013-07 LHW rankings, some people were claiming that Gus doesn't deserve title shot and no way he should be ranked in front of Little Nog or Rashad.

That was in 2013.
What did Gus do in 2014 and 2015?
He had only two fights. One against fighter with a low rating and in second he was KO'd.
So, what is the reasoning for keeping Gus ranked high?

Don't we have other fighters that were fighting tough opponents and winning in the last couple of years?
Don't they deserve to go up in rankings?

Khabib and JDS both only fought once since 2014.
Yes Khabib already started losing points because of inactivity. The only thing that keeps him there is that his latest fight was a dominant win against current LW champion. He will continue sliding down until he fights again.

Other top 50 fighters that have no fight in 2015 are:
  • Dominick Cruz
  • Tim Kennedy
  • Raphael Assuncao
  • Jose Aldo
  • Junior dos Santos

P4P lists are always stupid, but this is actually mind boggling

There are 10 fighters in Top 50 that Lost their latest fight:

Lyoto Machida - L-L-W-L
Chad Mendes - L-W-L-W
Renan Barao - L-W-L-W
Alexander Gustafsson - L-W-L-W
Anthony Johnson - L-W-W-W
Rory MacDonald - L-W-W-W
Anthony Pettis - L-W-W-W
Vitor Belfort - L-W-W-W
Cain Velasquez - L-W-W-W
Tim Kennedy - L-W-W-W

I think you probably put too much emphasis on being champion, but it looks like Fight Matrix does that too.

Here's my list for comparison.

kwXM7V4.png

I think you probably put too much emphasis on being champion, but it looks like Fight Matrix does that too.
Here's my list for comparison.
[/IMG]

Being champion typically means that you are fighting top opponents and you are winning.
That is not always the case, but right now it is.
So, I don't know how can you have Cerrone ahead of RDA?
And Anderson Silva being #4? Two losses and then fighting smaller, rarely active fighter.

Cerrone's case is easy to make: he's won eight straight since losing to RDA, against a lot of top guys. Meanwhile, RDA lost to Nurmagomedov. If you say RDA > Cerrone because he beat him, then shouldn't it also be Nurmagomedov > RDA? Anyway, those three are very close in ratings, in both our systems. There's much bigger differences to talk about, like Anderson Silva:

I thought you just omitted Silva because of the drug test thing -- I didn't think you had him worse than #50! But it looks like you have him around #80 P4P? That's crazy for a fighter who's only lost to one guy (#1 Weidman) over the last nine years, don't you think? What evidence do you have that's he's worse than Kelvin Gastelum, for example? (You have Gastelum #12 MW and Silva #15 MW.)

Back