265 = 6
205 = 5
185 = 9
170 = 7
155 = 9
145 = 6
135 = 4
125 = 4

As expected, LW division has a lot of fighters (9) in the top 50, but surprisingly MW also has 9.
I was expecting WW to have more and HW to have less fighters in the top 50.

Strikeforce middleweight s Rockhold,Souza ,Mousasi and Romero ,,,,,,all 4 in top 25 p4p......
Hell yes..

Conor is wayyyy to high. Above Edgar? lol

I am still not personally a big fan of Conor McGregor. But we all have to admit that he is interim UFC champion, that he just KO a guy which was a number one contender and that he is on a 14 fight win streak (undefeated since 2010).
So, it is not that unrealistic to have McGregor at #10.
Remember, this is a Current Ranking. And current means that the latest fight mean more than old fights.
Frankie Edgar is already one of all time best and right now is still ranked high. If in the near future he fights somebody from top 5 and wins, he will get those additional 22+ points and pass McGregor.
But right now he is a few points behind Conor.

Ferguson has definitely evolved his game but #21 a tad to high..Arlovski #26--no
Machida still deserves to be ranked higher than #49 and Gus at #50 ?--Aj knocks him out and he plummets that much ?
...and im just not an Edgar fan.I put him in top 30 but not top 10..

Ferguson has definitely evolved his game but #21 a tad to high.

I respect your opinion, but let me know more about your reasoning for moving somebody up or down.

As I already said, Ferguson is on a 6 fight win streak. He just dominated Josh Thomson, and before that submitted Gleison Tibau and Abel Trujillo.
He is not a known name or very popular, but his recent results can justify his current ranking.

Looking at the points, he is almost tied with Tyron Woodley and Velasquez.
2 point difference is less than 0.5%, which is our statistical margin of error. Ferguson is too far from Benavidez (8.5 points), so he will not go up.
But 2.7 points difference means he might as well be ranked behind Cain.

In your opinion, who else should be above Ferguson at this point? And if you can say why? Remember this is a Current ranking.

Just to show who are current top fighters that are not with UFC right now:

g_Ftr_RkTbl_nonUFC_30p4p.jpg

Patricio "Pitbull" Freire defeated all top FW that are not in UFC and he should be considered top 25 overall P4P fighter.

Rousimar Palhares is a dirty fighter, but submitting Jake Shields and Jon Fitch should put him into top 50 P4P overall.

Current P4P Rankings for UFC fighters - updated on Aug 3, 2015.

g_Ftr_RkTbl_U50_P4P.jpg

Please give me your comments.

This list is really terrible.

There is lots wrong with it, but the one I'll point out is the huge chasm between Nurmagomedov and JDS.

Junior has one of the very best resumes in MMA history, and has only lost to one (great) fighter since coming to the UFC.

Khabib's resume is paper-thin by comparison, holding one single win of any real value, and having fought mediocrities the rest of the time (and nearly losing to C-class Tibau in the process).

Utterly ludicrous placings.

is the huge chasm between Nurmagomedov and JDS.

Junior has one of the very best resumes in MMA history, and has only lost to one (great) fighter since coming to the UFC.

Khabib's resume is paper-thin by comparison, holding one single win of any real value, and having fought mediocrities the rest of the time (and nearly losing to C-class Tibau in the process).

Regarding Nurmagomedov and JDS current rankings.
I would understand your concern about JDS being ranked lower than Khabib if we are talking about All Time (whole career) ranking.
On that ranking JDS is much higher (#34) than Khabib (#153).

But this is the Current Ranking and there is no doubt on who did more in the last few years.
I even have complaint from people that Khabib is too low because he is undefeated and has a recent wins over current champ (dominant win).

Here is how those two careers were developing historically:

FighterCmpr2_JDS-Khabib.jpg

Khabib past JDS on P4P ranking at the beginning of 2014.
If he doesn't fight any time soon, he will start slipping in the near future (because of inactivity).
And with one good win JDS can again be ranked higher.

Jacare too low Conor too high.
Among other questionable ranks.

i have a feeling a lot of people are going to be upset about Gustofson's placement. yeah, im sure i spelled that wrong.

Gus hasn't really done much in the last 2 years. Knocked out by Rumble and beat Manuwa who isn't anywhere near the top of the division. One of the best fighters in the division for sure, but due to constant entanglement in delayed/cancelled title fights he doesn't have the results to show for it.

I respect your opinion, but let me know more about your reasoning for moving somebody up or down.

As I already said, Ferguson is on a 6 fight win streak. He just dominated Josh Thomson, and before that submitted Gleison Tibau and Abel Trujillo.
He is not a known name or very popular, but his recent results can justify his current ranking.

Looking at the points, he is almost tied with Tyron Woodley and Velasquez.
2 point difference is less than 0.5%, which is our statistical margin of error. Ferguson is too far from Benavidez (8.5 points), so he will not go up.
But 2.7 points difference means he might as well be ranked behind Cain.

In your opinion, who else should be above Ferguson at this point? And if you can say why? Remember this is a Current ranking.

Ive become a supporter of Ferguson and ive defended him on other threads...ive actually said before his last couple of wins that division needs to watchout for this guy....a guy that could become a top 5 guy at lw...
I sad "a tad too high" meaning that calling him a top 20 pound4pound guy (which is incredible-top 20) because he just beat the crap out of Josh Thm'sn might be "a bit off "...
I want to see him beat another top guy(actually someone higher than Josh) before we call Tony Ferguson a "a top 20 pound for pound guy(which again is incredible).
My personal opinion is that he'll get there and maybe after his next win if its over a top 5-6 155er.

Regarding Nurmagomedov and JDS current rankings.
I would understand your concern about JDS being ranked lower than Khabib if we are talking about All Time (whole career) ranking.
On that ranking JDS is much higher (#34) than Khabib (#153).

But this is the Current Ranking and there is no doubt on who did more in the last few years.
I even have complaint from people that Khabib is too low because he is undefeated and has a recent wins over current champ (dominant win).

Here is how those two careers were developing historically:

FighterCmpr2_JDS-Khabib.jpg

Khabib past JDS on P4P ranking at the beginning of 2014.
If he doesn't fight any time soon, he will start slipping in the near future (because of inactivity).
And with one good win JDS can again be ranked higher.

This is a pile of BS.

Junior beat one of the top 4 fighters in his weight class in December. Khabib has done nothing in 15 months. That difference in placings simply cannot be justified.

lol there are several insane rankings on there. Not to mention the fact that wideman is not #1 because he beat the husk of TRT Vitor? Get real!

Ive become a supporter of Ferguson and ive defended him on other threads...ive actually said before his last couple of wins that division needs to watchout for this guy....a guy that could become a top 5 guy at lw...
I sad "a tad too high" meaning that calling him a top 20 pound4pound guy (which is incredible-top 20) because he just beat the crap out of Josh Thm'sn might be "a bit off "...
I want to see him beat another top guy(actually someone higher than Josh) before we call Tony Ferguson a "a top 20 pound for pound guy(which again is incredible).
My personal opinion is that he'll get there and maybe after his next win if its over a top 5-6 155er.

Tony Ferguson is ranked that high because he is on a big win streak (6-0 since 2013) in the toughest UFC division.
He is 9-1 in UFC, and it is not just because of Josh Thomson, but also Gleison Tibau, Abel Trujillo, Danny Castillo.

Michael Johnson is Ferguson's only loss (decision in 2012), and Johnson could maybe be ranked higher than Tony.
But he is less active (just two fights in 2014/2015) and had a couple of losses in 2013.
Johnson's last few wins are Edson Barboza, Melvin Guillard, Gleison Tibau and Joe Lauzon.

If Michael Johnson wins this weekend (Beneil Dariush), he will collect additional points and pass Tony Ferguson.
In that case we can have rematch Johnson (#5 LW) vs. Ferguson (#6 LW). That way we get somebody to be first opponent for Khabib after he returns to fighting.

But I think that UFC will opt to match two of them with more established fighters (Benson Henderson, Eddie Alvarez).

Conor above Edgar is just stupid. Frankie's last few wins are worth more than Chad and (lol) Siver. Just because Conor hasn't had his turn to lose to Aldo yet shouldn't have him that high.

I really like this for what it is. A mathematical based ranking system based on wins, current roll, etc. very cool. I'd love to see a "BCS" style ranking that incorporated this with the top 25 from different papers and sites.

Any talks about doing something like that? Also, are you willing to share the weighting system and variables you use?

Again, thanks for the hard work on putting this together.

Back