Top 5 WW all time-

GSP
Hughes
Shields
Lawler
Hendricks

HM: Condit, Fitch, BJ, Militech

Penn has a strong aka exaggerating fanbase and his dabbling at 155, 170, 185 (beat Renzo and Rodrigo Gracie) and openweight (versus Lyoto) divisions gave him a lot of losses along the way but the fact is Penn is 11-3-1 at LW. The 3 losses were decisions to Edgar and prime Pulver. He won 4 title fights until losing to Edgar. His LW wins were quality opponents during the respective times he beat them: Din Thomas, Uno, Gomi, Ludwig onto the Sherk, Stevenson, Florian era.

but yes, he's done very little at WW and probably not even worthy of a #10 spot (which I brought up in a previous post in this thread)
Top 10 LW-yes, Top 5-In MY own personal opinion I'm just not sold on it.

What? Matt Hughes had something like 7 title defenses and finished his career 45-9, many of those 9 losses toward the tail end of his career. Prime Hughes is a solid match for anyone at Welter today and in terms of legacy he may crest the top 10 for all time GOATS. You are horribly mistaken characterizing Matt Hughes as not even an honorable mention.

For in the Cage skills? I pretty clearly pointed out that I was not referring to legacy or accomplishments but just Man-up against the best WW has had to ever offer?

Penn proved himself his better as a blown up LW.
GSP dominated him, even in his loss.
Robbie today, one sided.
Wonderboy doesn't get taken down by Hughes if Hendricks couldn't do it.
Hendricks makes it a slugout and ends it in the first.
Condit, maybe if Hughes can get the takedowns with ease, but I'd have him as a heavy dog.
Rory Macdonald, no way.
Woodley?
Lombard?
Maia?
Rumble?

And that's assuming he gets past Koscheck & Fitch & Kampmann & etc...

Yeah, I would not have Hughes as more than a slight favorite against any one listed, and for most of the people there he'd be a pretty big underdog in His Prime vs. Their Prime.

For in the Cage skills? I pretty clearly pointed out that I was not referring to legacy or accomplishments but just Man-up against the best WW has had to ever offer?

Penn proved himself his better as a blown up LW.
GSP dominated him, even in his loss.
Robbie today, one sided.
Wonderboy doesn't get taken down by Hughes if Hendricks couldn't do it.
Hendricks makes it a slugout and ends it in the first.
Condit, maybe if Hughes can get the takedowns with ease, but I'd have him as a heavy dog.
Rory Macdonald, no way.
Woodley?
Lombard?
Maia?
Rumble?

And that's assuming he gets past Koscheck & Fitch & Kampmann & etc...

Yeah, I would not have Hughes as more than a slight favorite against any one listed, and for most of the people there he'd be a pretty big underdog in His Prime vs. Their Prime.

I don't know what to tell you, I just disagree. I think prime Hughes is more than a match for anyone you listed with the exception of GOAT GSP.

Back