Media Top 5 wrestlers in UFC history according to Ben Askren

• Thread starter Deleted member 556651
  • Start date
No Mark Coleman? Matt Lindland also had some serious wrestling creds.

My point is that an Olympic Gold Medalist in wrestling should be on anyone's list of the Top 5 wrestlers in UFC history.

Olympic freestyle wrestling does not translate into fighting or mma as well as collegiate. There are also people great at freestyle that are beatable in collegiate rules as well as great collegiate rules wrestler that struggle with freestyle.

Pretty accurate. Khabib has used his wrestling in a more dominant fashion than anyone else. 27 - 0, no rounds even loss outside of the 1 conor cheated 4 times in.

All the others have loss rounds and fights.

Mendes got 2 on Aldo as well so saying only Edgar got 2 takedowns on Aldo is wrong.
Mendes only got one takedown against Aldo.

SnappyHomelyDanishswedishfarmdog-size_restricted.gif

Jones should be on that list at either 4 or 5. Also, GSP and Khabib should be switched

Pretty bad list, I'm surprised. It's weird that he gives Hughes a nod when Koscheck fought during that same time and was clearly much better.
Frankie? Love Frankie but lol no

to me both Koscheck and Hendricks were too arrogant and half assed it when they were implementing their wrestling, which led to their inevitable career cliffdives... both were far better than GSP, Hughes, Fitch, etc. but were not in the same galaxy when it came to consistency

if anything you would tell wrestlers aspiring to be fighters to not be like them

Couture, Shrek, Koscheck would be on a list before Hughes, for me. Mark Coleman with headbutts (and steroids).

tumblr_nhno82LfVq1u2ragso1_500.gif

Jon%2BJones%2BTakes%2BDown%2BDaniel%2BCormier%2BUFC%2B182.gif

The fuck are you talking about?

Got a quick takedown on a desperate Cormier that DC escaped right away, did Gus outwrestle Jones in the first fight?

If Jones had made the fights wrestling matches and and taken down and controlled DC he'd have outwrestled him, shutting down his wrestling and getting some counter takedowns on an aggressive opponent isn't that.

1) GSP - By not ever having been taken down by a Swedish boxer.

Nah Jones and GSP are the two guys who have outwrestled elite mma wrestlers. In GSP’s case, multiple times. Jones however has turned out to be an elite mma striker and relies on that mostly. GSP was also an elite striker but carried a wrestling-focused approach for the second half of his career.

Also, Khabib is my favorite LW by the has never faced anyone close to an elite wrestler. Someone like Gillespie is going to be a real challenge I reckon. Go Khabib though!!

Again,wrong.He got 2 as well
This is a takedown
tumblr_negawrDR611rkj1e8o1_400.gif
It's officially not counted as a takedown, because Aldo's core/hips are crazy and Mendes never got top position.

4zR0DJl.jpg

Next time you accuse someone of being wrong, make sure you're right first, otherwise it just makes you look silly.

i disagree, i just think some of those guys have shown higher level wrestling, edgar has just been around a long time so we've seen more of him than some of the guys i listed, i know edgar has accomplished more than some of them but i'm just going by what i see in the cage.

i don't even wanna argue though, you have your opinion i have mine. i won't change your mind you won't change mine.

Edgar being around a long time at the highest level is just more evidence of how well he's used his wrestling...We'll see if yoel and usman and cejudo hang around the top ten for over a decade and get mutliple belts in the process with their wrastling.

It's officially not counted as a takedown, because Aldo's core/hips are crazy and Mendes never got top position.

4zR0DJl.jpg

Next time you accuse someone of being wrong, make sure you're right first, otherwise it just makes you look silly.
Who cares what the stats say
Stats officially also say Condit landed more strikes then Lawler in 5th round,does that win him the round?
Aldo spent less time down on that 2nd Edgar takedown then against Mendes,my eyes work just fine,stats are meaningless in this matter.

Thread title is a bit different from video content, but it was interesting to watch.

Who cares what the stats say
You're ignoring stats because it doesn't support your argument.

Stats officially also say Condit landed more strikes then Lawler in 5th round,does that win him the round?
Total strikes in relation to scoring a round has nothing to do with what qualifies as a takedown under the unified rules, neither have anything to do with the other. The fact that you're making that leap of logic doesn't bode well for your argument.

Aldo spent less time down on that 2nd Edgar takedown then against Mendes,my eyes work just fine,stats are meaningless in this matter.
It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of Mendes never gaining top position.

Back