Media Top 5 wrestlers in UFC history according to Ben Askren

• Thread starter Deleted member 556651
  • Start date
It's almost like people don't understand that Ben just gave his opinion and that his top 5 is probably fluid. And it's not like most people in this thread listened to why he had Edgar in (because the way he blended striking and wrestling was revolutionary in his view).

How can you have Frankie and not Olympic Gold medalist Cejudo? Taking down prime Mighty Mouse at will>getting stuffed by Cub.
Odd comparison. Cejudo hasn't used his wrestling anywhere near as much as Edgar, both out of choice and cuz of the the length of his career. Picking up takedowns off Aldo and BJ Penn is far more impressive than taking down MM, who has never been known for his defensive wrestlign (see Cruz fight, Elliot fight, etc.)

I know edgar has a background but hes been a predominant stand up fighter for most of career. That's a surprising choice from an intelligent guy.
Hmmmmmm??

Not a bad list at all.
GSP humiliated some crazy good wrestlers in his prime, he was a beast.

Seems more like a Current Era top 5

If including full history.. wouldn’t Tito, Kerr, or Severn make the list? Top 10?

wouldn't put frankie over any of those guys i listed personally, but i'm not gonna argue, it's all opinions.

Edgar has more top wins and belts than any of them except Jones. Cejudo Is getting there, but Usman, Romero and prime koscheck?

Mind you, you might think those guys were more skilled, but Askren's list if specifically based on who has in fact used their wrestling best in MMA. Frankie having more belts and more high level wins than those guys kind of implies that he used it better.

Henry Cejudo won an Olympic Gold Medal in wrestling, but he's not on Ben's Top 5 list and that's all that matters.

Hahaha, thank you!! No Henry cejudo? Wtf? He is, far and away, the best wrestler ever in mma.

he doesnt use it as much as those guys. yoel romero is a silver medalist and hes mostly a boxer now whats your point exactly?

The question was who is the best wrestler in the UFC, NOT the person who uses wrestling the best in the UFC.

Edgar has more top wins and belts than any of them except Jones. Cejudo Is getting there, but Usman, Romero and prime koscheck?

Mind you, you might think those guys were more skilled, but Askren's list if specifically based on who has in fact used their wrestling best in MMA. Frankie having more belts and more high level wins than those guys kind of implies that he used it better.
i disagree, i just think some of those guys have shown higher level wrestling, edgar has just been around a long time so we've seen more of him than some of the guys i listed, i know edgar has accomplished more than some of them but i'm just going by what i see in the cage.

i don't even wanna argue though, you have your opinion i have mine. i won't change your mind you won't change mine.

1- Khabib
2- GSP
3- Cormier
4- Frankie Edgar
5- Matt Hughes

Fitch, Shields and Davis should be on the list. Or 2 of them Edgar and Hughes shouldn't be on it IMO. I get the first 3.

That's a hard take and you'd have to leave people out no matter what but 4 and 5 don't seem like they belong at all IMO.

How about when he does use his wrestling? He relied on it in all of his pre-title fights, and outwrestled DC.

He shut down Cormier's wrestling, Crocop shut down Mark Coleman but that doesn't make him a better wrestler.

The question was who is the best wrestler in the UFC, NOT the person who uses wrestling the best in the UFC.

No it's not.

Listen to the video again. The very first thing Ben says

"Here is my list of UFC fighters who use their wrestling most effectively in the octagon"

Henry Cejudo won an Olympic Gold Medal in wrestling, but he's not on Ben's Top 5 list and that's all that matters.
If you're saying Cejudo's wrestling in MMA is as good as his wrestling accomplishments outside MMA I have to disagree. Cejudo has not been an overly dominant MMA wrestler in his MMA career so far.

He shut down Cormier's wrestling, Crocop shut down Mark Coleman but that doesn't make him a better wrestler.

tumblr_nhno82LfVq1u2ragso1_500.gif

Jon%2BJones%2BTakes%2BDown%2BDaniel%2BCormier%2BUFC%2B182.gif

The fuck are you talking about?

If you're saying Cejudo's wrestling in MMA is as good as his wrestling accomplishments outside MMA I have to disagree. Cejudo has not been an overly dominant MMA wrestler in his MMA career so far.
I just watched Ben Askren's Twitter video - which I should have done in the first place - and he starts right off by saying "This is my list of UFC fighters who use their wrestling most effectively in the Octagon". My initial post was in response to the TS's headline, which reads "Top 5 wrestlers in UFC history according to Ben Askren". That headline is misleading. However, if I had just watched the first 10 seconds of the video, I would not have made my initial post. So, I agree with you, and agree with Ben's list. Having said that, many people gave my initial post an upvote, so there must be something to it.

Last edited:
Back