Top 5 Most Boring UFC Main Event Fights....EVER.....

Papa Shaun

Grand Poobah
@Green
Reaction score
These are the fights that made you wish you had that $49.99 back for spending cash, or almost made you swear you'll never watch an MMA fight again. Feel free to chime in with your opinion, or add your own to the list:

#5 GSP vs. Jake Shields @ UFC 129: A bout defined by both fighters content with trading jabs the whole night, with neither fighter really taking any chances. It was like both fighters were playing it safe, hoping to squeak out a decision.

#4 Anderson Silva vs Damien Maia @ UFC 112: Well the first round with pretty entertaining, then the fight took a turn for the worst as Anderson danced around the octogon, with occasionally smacking the surface a few times trying to get Maia to engage, then avoiding any punches Maia threw. This fight was supposed to be capped with GSP entering the octogon to promote a mega fight, that is still on hold. Dana got so upset, that he walked out in the 3rd round if I remember correctly.

#3 Anderson Silva vs Thailes Leitas @ UFC 97: This bout featured a challenger who would rather jump to his back, then engage with the spider. Anderson tried to make a fight of it, but his opponent often fell to his back after taking a few punches, hoping to lure Anderson into a submission attempt. Never really saw Leitas in the UFC much after this.

#2 Tim Sylvia vs Andre Arlovski 3 @ UFC 61: This whole PPV was a disappointment. Not only was there a controversial stoppage in the Tito Ortiz vs. Shamrock 2 fight, but this main event bout put most fans to sleep. We expected an all out war, after AA took the first fight via submission, the Big Tim came back in the 2nd fight from a near defeat, to catch AA and finish him off. What we got? 5 rounds of AA dancing with the occasional jab, with Big Tim content to trade back. Neither fighter attempted a take down, let alone a clinch. This fight looked like 2 "Rock em Sock" Robots with less action.

#1 Ken Shamrock vs Dan Severn 2 @ UFC 9: The fight that almost killed MMA as a mainstream sport all together. After an apparent warning from the Michigan Fight Commission or who ever, Ken Shamrock resulting to not throwing punches, but open hand slaps, in an effort to avoid the shedding of blood and "too much violence." this was a fight that would make 90% of MMA fans throw-up. Defined by "lay n pray" and constant clinching, this fight is easily number 1 on the list.

What are your thoughts??

Main event or title fights?

If main event then I'd say Guida-Maynard. Unless I'm mistaken.

UFC 119 - Mir vs. Cro Cop

May not have been as boring as some per-say, but it was a big let down IMO.

Any main event fight, these just happened to be title fights, but in any event, I'd throw in Nate Marquart vs Ivan Salavery on a UFC Fight Night on Spike as well....

Any main event fight, these just happened to be title fights, but in any event, I'd throw in Nate Marquart vs Ivan Salavery on a UFC Fight Night on Spike as well....

Okami vs Marquardt was pretty awful too

Mir vs Cro Cop. (double too late)

I didn't think Andy vs Maia was boring, just strange.

That fight was horrible from start to finish, a last minute knockout isn't changing that.

These are the fights that made you wish you had that $49.99 back for spending cash, or almost made you swear you'll never watch an MMA fight again. Feel free to chime in with your opinion, or add your own to the list:

#5 GSP vs. Jake Shields @ UFC 129: A bout defined by both fighters content with trading jabs the whole night, with neither fighter really taking any chances. It was like both fighters were playing it safe, hoping to squeak out a decision.

#4 Anderson Silva vs Damien Maia @ UFC 112: Well the first round with pretty entertaining, then the fight took a turn for the worst as Anderson danced around the octogon, with occasionally smacking the surface a few times trying to get Maia to engage, then avoiding any punches Maia threw. This fight was supposed to be capped with GSP entering the octogon to promote a mega fight, that is still on hold. Dana got so upset, that he walked out in the 3rd round if I remember correctly.

#3 Anderson Silva vs Thailes Leitas @ UFC 97: This bout featured a challenger who would rather jump to his back, then engage with the spider. Anderson tried to make a fight of it, but his opponent often fell to his back after taking a few punches, hoping to lure Anderson into a submission attempt. Never really saw Leitas in the UFC much after this.

#2 Tim Sylvia vs Andre Arlovski 3 @ UFC 61: This whole PPV was a disappointment. Not only was there a controversial stoppage in the Tito Ortiz vs. Shamrock 2 fight, but this main event bout put most fans to sleep. We expected an all out war, after AA took the first fight via submission, the Big Tim came back in the 2nd fight from a near defeat, to catch AA and finish him off. What we got? 5 rounds of AA dancing with the occasional jab, with Big Tim content to trade back. Neither fighter attempted a take down, let alone a clinch. This fight looked like 2 "Rock em Sock" Robots with less action.

#1 Ken Shamrock vs Dan Severn 2 @ UFC 9: The fight that almost killed MMA as a mainstream sport all together. After an apparent warning from the Michigan Fight Commission or who ever, Ken Shamrock resulting to not throwing punches, but open hand slaps, in an effort to avoid the shedding of blood and "too much violence." this was a fight that would make 90% of MMA fans throw-up. Defined by "lay n pray" and constant clinching, this fight is easily number 1 on the list.

What are your thoughts??

I am shocked that Mir vs Crocop didn't make your list.

That fight was horrendously boring

I should have added Mir-Cro Cop, and I forgot about Sylvia-Monson, that's why I like to see other people's opinions on bouts. Tito Ortiz vs Patrick Cote was a snoozer as well....

Your top 2 are the ones I immediately thought of. The Gracie-Shamrock Superfight at UFC 5 could possibly be on the list too. Other than a single punch at the start of overtime, it was 35 minutes of Shamrock lay-and-pray. But it was the first UFC fight where someone effectively neutralized Gracie's jiu jitsu over a 35 minute period. So, while boring as hell, it was also a pretty significant fight.

great list TS btw , but your correct i was probably never more disappointed in a fight than mir vs cro cop. seriously they stood there in the clinch for 3 rounds doing nothing. then mir landed that knee that almost seemed staged it was real weird.

I should have added Mir-Cro Cop, and I forgot about Sylvia-Monson, that's why I like to see other people's opinions on bouts. Tito Ortiz vs Patrick Cote was a snoozer as well....

Cote being such a huge underdog and coming to fight made it exciting to watch live. Tito neutralizing him and riding out the clock took a lot of the fun out of it though.

Mir-CC was one of the worst fights I have ever seen, partially due to the fact that it was boring even though both fighters were standing all three rounds.

What are your thoughts??

Great list. I think that 1 and 2 are etched in stone, and indisputable!

A couple additions I think could compete for the last three spots.

Sylvia vs. Monson (I can't remember the #)

UFC 85 (Bedlem): WTF is a 174 pound catch weight main event? LMAO, and not interested. (that is PERIOD with a capital "P"):icon_evil

Back