Top 5 Jim Lampley moments

toogreen

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
honourable mention: IT HAPPENED!

5) Guys, there’s nothing like boxing and there are no athletes like fighters, theres no where else in sport you'll find greater passion, greater intensity, greater courage, greater commitment, greater sheer guts than what these two guys are showing you! THIS IS BOXING AT ITS BEST!

4) What is the point? What in the world is the point? Wayne Kelly looking and looking but, this is absurd. STOP THE FIGHT! Stop it Wayne, c’mon this isn't competition anymore, this is a bloodletting, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY PREPOSTEROUS RICHARD HALL SHOULD NOT BE TAKING THESE SHOTS!

3) LENNOX LEWIS KNOCKS OUT MIKE TYSON! AND BANISHES HIM FROM THE UPPER STRATOSPHERE OF THE HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION!!!

2) DOWN GOES VARGAS ON ANOTHER RRRROCKET LEFT HOOK! Sensational left hook by De La Hoya again he set it up with body punches. Vargas jumps up off the canvas, let me at em! There’s so much desire in Fernando Vargas. BUT A BETTER A FIGHTER’S BEATING HIM NOW!!!!

1) There you go 4 punch, 5 punch, 6 punch combination. Bodyshot, bodyshot BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG. Try and stop it. BANG BANG here I come BANG, YOU WANNA THROW SOMETIME? This is the Manny Pacquiao who has dominated boxing for the past 3 years BANG BANG BANG BANG, you wanna throw back?(Kellerman tries to speak, Lampley cuts him off) BANG Keep coming!

"Prince Naseem Hamed told us, and every writer who would listen, that if he loses - it's because it has been written by Allah. The twelve rounds you've seen here, suggests that Allah knows how to spell Barrera! B. A. R. R. E. R. A."

*gets chewed out by George Foreman*

*HBO edits comments from future replays of fight*

Lol nah I like Jim though. One of my favorite moments of his is is during the (I think) third round of the first Morales-Pacquiao fight where Erik took a big shot and threw up his hands and Jim was like "And I think it's clear right now, Manny Pacquiao isn't gonna deck Erik Morales with one big shot!"

He has a lot of good moments. His post fight discussion of Marquez' KO of Pacquiao was great, and how he described how Marquez will now finally get the recognition he deserves. I also liked his banter during the Trinidad-Mayorga fight when Mayorga began to hold and Tito started unloading on him.

He had great passion and commitment to the sport. Lots of moments to choose from.

Unpopular opinion - Merchant and Lampley shit all over Rogan and Goldberg or any other UFC combination that I've heard.

Lampley, Merchant and Steward were my favourite combination.

On Ishida pulling the upset over Kirkland, im sure I’m going to butcher it but it went something like:

“...last night I saw this young man in the MGM grand lobby taking pictures and sight seeing the Las Vegas strip, one had every reason to believe that was going to be the best night of his life, well guess what? I wasnt”

“MOSLEY! MOSLEY! MOSLEY! ANOTHER BIG RIGHT HAND!!!”

“Nobody celebrates impending defeat like Ricardo Mayorga.”

“You're gonna watch Lou Duva go crazy now. YOU'RE GONNA WATCH LOU DUVA GO ABSOLUTELY BERSERK!”

“Tony at 237 is a fat tub of goo.”

“it happened” is iconic. definitely his best moment. i also love the “you’re gonna watch lou duva go crazy now!” call from taylor/chavez

I liked when he came down of Floyd for domestic violence, seemingly forgetting he was guilty of the same crime.
Or when he balled like a baby everytime Pacquiao lost.

I liked when he came down of Floyd for domestic violence, seemingly forgetting he was guilty of the same crime.

I didn’t know he did that and plead no contest. What an ass

Unpopular opinion - Merchant and Lampley shit all over Rogan and Goldberg or any other UFC combination that I've heard.

Anyone who isnt a TUF UFC fanboy and watches other sports knows that UFC has garbage tier commentary. Any boxing commentary team is better, pretty much.

Watching a lot of older fights these weeks makes me appreciate Lampley and them more. Towards the end, especially once Max joined, their group think took over too often. But for the most part, they are great.

Unpopular opinion. Bob Sheridan is better then them all. Lampley was a bit too nasally for me. Anik used to have the same issue but lowered his town since becoming the lead guy.

Lamps with expert commentary here. Timestamped

edit:

another Lamps PSA about ring card girls

Last edited:
Lamps with expert commentary here. Timestamped

Fuck man, HBO was special. The production and commentary was absolutely unsurpassable. Lampley's distinct, passionate, fiery voice was just perfect for a fight night. Merchant's slow, almost slurring voice (in his later years, anyway) and wit was a perfect contrast.

Always loved the way he got himself out of trouble on the Bowe-Golota fight to give some comments, and then realised his daughter was ringside....

What a shitbag of a man

“ they call boxing the sweet science..... I’m not seeing a lot of science, but it sure is sweet “

He got very emotional at the end of De La Hoya vs Fernando Vargas. Oscar was his boy

Also cant forget Meldrick Taylor vs JCC

Back