Top 5 fighters in countries outside of Thailand?

TonyK

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I would like to know your opinion about the top p4p fighters in countries outside of Thailand where MT is a growing/established sport, such as:

France
Holland
Australia
Great Britain
USA
Canada
Russia
Belarus
Japan

etc...

If you don't have an opinion about every country listed above, you can just list the countries you feel you do know about.

For example, my opinion about USA is:
1. Ky Hollenbeck
2. Joe Schilling
3. Chike Lindsay
4. Kevin Ross (could be #2 or #3, but he's getting out of his prime quickly)
5. Romie Adanza (see Kevin Ross, but Romie is always awesome)

The scene in the US is still developing and not very big, so it's easier to list than say, France.

Do they have to all be Nak Muay? All of my guys are ranked on Muay Thai Authority.com anyway.

Canada:
1. Simon Marcus
2. Matt Embree
3. Joseph Valtellini
4. Gabriel Varga
5. Sean Kearney

Australia

John Wayne Parr
Steve Mckinnon
Paul Słowiński
Nathan Corbett
Toby Smith

I would like to know your opinion about the top p4p fighters in countries outside of Thailand where MT is a growing/established sport, such as:

France
Holland
Australia
Great Britain
USA
Canada
Russia
Belarus
Japan

etc...

If you don't have an opinion about every country listed above, you can just list the countries you feel you do know about.

For example, my opinion about USA is:
1. Ky Hollenbeck
2. Joe Schilling
3. Chike Lindsay
4. Kevin Ross (could be #2 or #3, but he's getting out of his prime quickly)
5. Romie Adanza (see Kevin Ross, but Romie is always awesome)

The scene in the US is still developing and not very big, so it's easier to list than say, France.
I don't know about p4p but I know Pinca is the best in France, Damien Alamos

GB there is Liam Harrison, Steven Wakeling, Jordan Watson. Pushing up to that level are guys like Greg Wooton and Luke Turner.

Belaraus Kulebin is my favourite, I haven't really heard much of Kotsur and Shakuta recently

Fabio Pinca
Hiroki Ishii
Houcine Bennoui
Victor Ngabe
Andrea Kulebin

Holland:
01. Spong (nr. 1 ranked Glory light heavyweight, well you can say he is from Surinam but I consider him Dutch)
02. Schilt (nr. 1 ranked Glory heavyweight, retired or not retired that's the question, Semmy is training like a madman lately so...)
03. Van Roosmalen (nr 1. ranked Glory lightweight)
04. Verhoeven (rising star)
05. Aerts ( oldest active legend)
06. Souwer (K-1 warrior still active)
07. Bonjasky (same story like Semmy)
08. Holzken (nr. 1 ranked Glory welterweight)
09. Kraus
10. Groenhart

Holland:
01. Spong (nr. 1 ranked Glory light heavyweight, well you can say he is from Surinam but I consider him Dutch)
02. Schilt (nr. 1 ranked Glory heavyweight, retired or not retired that's the question, Semmy is training like a madman lately so...)
03. Van Roosmalen (nr 1. ranked Glory lightweight)
04. Verhoeven (rising star)
05. Aerts ( oldest active legend)
06. Souwer (K-1 warrior still active)
07. Bonjasky (same story like Semmy)
08. Holzken (nr. 1 ranked Glory welterweight)
09. Kraus
10. Groenhart

What about Saki and Rico?

GB there is Liam Harrison, Steven Wakeling, Jordan Watson. Pushing up to that level are guys like Greg Wooton and Luke Turner.

Dont forget guys around 55kg like Dean James, Andy Howson and Damian Trainer then around 67kg guys like Tim Thomas,Reece McAllister,Salah Abdulsalam and Michael Wakeling at 72.5...a lot of established talent and so much coming through, same with Australia ,US, Canada so much talent coming up! :)

He has Rico at no4 and Saki isnt Dutch!

If you consider Spong to be Dutch, you have to do the same with Saki. Saki is actually born in the Netherlands (Schiedam) and lived his whole live here. Spong came to the Netherlands when he was nine already and was born and raised in Surinam.

If you consider Spong to be Dutch, you have to do the same with Saki. Saki is actually born in the Netherlands (Schiedam) and lived his whole live here. Spong came to the Netherlands when he was nine already and was born and raised in Surinam.
Tbh it wasnt my list....the ts asked for Muay Thai and i dont expect half the guys on Rollermans list have fought fmt if any infact.
If someone was born in a country they should be able to represent it though but also able to represent the country of your parentage if you choose,tbf if you move to a country at an older age but have all your training there you should be able to represent that country also.

Dont forget guys around 55kg like Dean James, Andy Howson and Damian Trainer then around 67kg guys like Tim Thomas,Reece McAllister,Salah Abdulsalam and Michael Wakeling at 72.5...a lot of established talent and so much coming through, same with Australia ,US, Canada so much talent coming up! :)

Great talent all over, it's great seeing the sport grow in this country

@VicariousVice, with no disrespect my canadian friend but how can you ranked matt embrue above gabriel varga when he lost to him?

and how can you not have shane campbell in your top 5 canadian fighters? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Campbell

You're right about Campbell.

But Embree lost to Varga in the amateurs, does that really count as far as professional records go? Plus Embree has a way more active professional career. And my choices were somewhat influenced by muaythaiauthority.com, maybe I need to do a little more research in the subject. :redface:

I would ranked Saki on the 3rd or 4th spot (if he was Dutch) but if I am not mistaken Saki consider himself 100% Turkish. Spong's country is Surinam which was a Dutch colony until 1975. Most Surinam people (I know) consider themself Dutch/Surinam.

I would ranked Saki on the 3rd or 4th spot (if he was Dutch) but if I am not mistaken Saki consider himself 100% Turkish. Spong's country is Surinam which was a Dutch colony until 1975. Most Surinam people (I know) consider themself Dutch/Surinam.

Turkish ethnicity but Dutch nationality

@VicariousVice, I love Matt as a fighter and have huge respect for his teacher and I consider them both my friends, this has nothing to do with them I am just talking about the rankings you posted. Gabriel and Matt both fight Lerdsila as pro's Gabriel won against him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFjv61zaeeo and Matt lost against him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pKAviRBies . So that is why I don't understand how you or muaythaiauthority will have Matt ranked above Gabriel?

@VicariousVice, I love Matt as a fighter and have huge respect for his teacher and I consider them both my friends, this has nothing to do with them I am just talking about the rankings you posted. Gabriel and Matt both fight Lerdsila as pro's Gabriel won against him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFjv61zaeeo and Matt lost against him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pKAviRBies . So that is why I don't understand how you or muaythaiauthority will have Matt ranked above Gabriel?

I get your point, but watching the Embree fight, you see it's full Thai rules. Varga beat him under K-1 rules. That's comparing apples to oranges.

@VicariousVice, I know exactly what we are talking here...all the other people on the forum that ranked fighters in there country ranked high the once with wins in glory or k-1. The title of this thread was "Top 5 fighters in countries outside Thailand?" I did not see it saying ranked in full muay thai rules...

@VicariousVice, I know exactly what we are talking here...all the other people on the forum that ranked fighters in there country ranked high the once with wins in glory or k-1. The title of this thread was "Top 5 fighters in countries outside Thailand?" I did not see it saying ranked in full muay thai rules...

All I'm saying is can you really compare the two fights? The criteria is very different. I don't think beating a Thai under K-1 rules can be a sign of being a better fighter than a guy who lost too the same Thai under completely different rules. I put Embree above Varga because he's much more active and because I had it on good authority that he belonged higher. Obviously you disagree, how about we leave it at that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back