Top 5 Athletes who changed their Sport forever

Rodney Mullen invented what we now know as skateboarding. It really is what I would consider the sole example of 1 person changing a sport. Everything you see today, he invented, or at least had a part in. Hard to debate, he invented the Ollie.

If you want to go with some newer athletes who have sculpted or sculpting it now:

Steph Curry
Pat Mahomes

dwyane wade ushered in the era of guards looking to get fouled even more than looking to score. james harden took it to new levels. both helped make the game unwatchable

Johan Cruyff completely changed football from being a player in the 1970's when he popularised the concept of Total Football with Rinus Michels to his managerial career in the 1980-90's where he pioneered defensive and offensive systems which are used by just about every team on the planet today.

IMO There is probably no single man with more influence on the game than Johan.
i wouldn't disagree with this, going through this thread and seeing Pele everywhere, just seems like its the only name some know in Soccer/football, i would've said Cruyff too.

Pele
Maradonna
Tiger Woods
Senna
Boris Becker

@Madmick has a pretty thorough write up. I'd add the following four, as I think stars are made in the heat of battle, and only rise when steel sharpens steel. Without Frazier and Foreman, Ali wouldn't he as revered today. Without Duncan and Nash, neither would Kobe.

Hockey - Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux. Gretzky revolutionized tactics and put that first dint in the glass wall of small men playing pro sports. Before him, hockey was a brutes game for giants, he used skill and smarts to rack up points at such a rate that only one other player has come close. Mario Lemieux had a similar creativity on the ice, and kept a similar pace to Gretzky, until late stage cancer half way through his career forced him out of the game. He luckily managed to win his battle, and even come back famously to win Olympic gold under Gretzky's coaching. But when he returned to the NHL he clearly wasn't the same player and it was obvious that chemotherapy had taken it's toll. Many Canadanian fans today play out the Gretzky/Lemieux stat battle between their proxies McDavid/Crosby, as a testiment to their greatness.

I'm suprised a Disney movie hasn't been made about this tale of two men to be perfectly honest with you.

Rugby - Jonah Lomu and Francois Pienaar. Before Lomu, Rugby was strictly amature, although it was 'amature' in the way the NCAA is. After he retired, it was fully professional. The powers that be decided they would have to go professional just to keep this young man from a poor Pacific islandwr turned star All Black from moving across to Rugby League for a bigger payday.

Juxtaposed to Lomu, was his rival in the 1995 Rugby World Cup. At a time when South Africa had just ended apartheid, voted its first black president, but was on the brink of civil war between hardline white nationalists and hardline black nationalists. Nelson Mandela, trying to rule for the 80% in the middle, recognized the bonding moment sports can bring to a city or a country, tasked the captain of his Springboks with beating Lomu's team and bringing South Africa her first cup. Which he did.

This is dramatized in Clint Eastwood's Invictus, which is a great sports film IMO.

Last edited:
Back