Top 3 toughest fighters in the UFC?

Many guys to pick from....I would say.....

JDS
Shogun
Edgar
Penn
Diego
Wand
Nog
Nelson

Can't limit it to 3...not possible

Bigfoot

Wandy

Cain

Calling out whoever said Leben and Stann...

Stann thought he was really tough until Wandy retired him (what is he 31?)

Leben wouldnt answer the bell vs U Hall...

Honorable mention for Mark Hunt, Frankie Edgar, Matt Brown. and whoever that can was that just went 5 rounds with Holly Holmes.

Hi guys Im new here.

By tough I mean most heart, ballsiest fighters in the UFC. Guys who never back down and never quit and take any fight. Who you got?

Matt Brown
Maldanado
Sonnen - Hate him but guy will fight anyone.

Thoughts?

Sonnen will fight anyone but he does not really embody 'heart' and 'No quit'.

No disrespect to Chael, there are just many better examples.

I think theres way too many guys who are tough as nails to just have a top 3.

Roy nelson.
Mark hunt.
Diego Sanchez.

Honourable mention.

Jds.
Leben.
Wanderlei.

It's not ballsy at all to turtle up like Chael does. My top 3 are bj, Sanchez, hunt

BJ quit @ a break in the fight....

I will say he has balls and heart but he is not all that rugged/tough. He seams to give up when he is getting his ass handed to him

Diego
Hunt
JDS

Big: Mark Hunt
Medium: Diego Sanchez
Small: Neil Seery

Sonnen - Hate him but guy will fight anyone.

Thoughts?

yea i really don't mind chael sonnen, but saying hes tough because he will fight anyone is dumb, i would walk into a ring with any of those guys just to take the pay day he does and lose within the first minute, am i tough? no im an idiot.

chael breaks easily and is not known for making comebacks after being hurt, or put in bad positions. he has also talked about his mental barriers on tuf and other interviews.

Wanderlei, he fought Heavies.

bj penn fought a 220 lbs heavy weight lyoto machida and went the distance. pretty tough to me even though he did opt out of the gsp fight.
also silva out weighed cro cop when they fought at HW.

edgar
brown
jds
carwin
maldonado
sanchez
nick diaz
condit
kampmann
mark hunt

to name a few tough guys

Last edited:
Think about it a little more clearly. He takes fights others are turning down.

No he does not. Guys who eat up that crap are the most gullible and laughable.

The fact that Sonnen is willing to grab a gift of a LHW title shot that he knows he would never earn does not make him special. Prize fighters, fight hard to earn that shot, Sonnen says yes to the gift. Big whoop.

Spinning that others won't take the fights is referring to other top LHW's refusing to drop a ton of weight on short notice to fight the most dominant LHW champ which simply should not be expected to be done. As a top LHW fighter who has worked his way up the proper way, you want to fight Jones at your best, not your weakest. But for big MW's like Sonnen, Vitor, Weidman, who all said yes to a free title shot at LHW that is no sign of being anything other than opportunistic and willing to take gifts.

When u talk tough, im thinking who can take a punch(chin, durability)..Mousasi and Condit..I think the latter was mentioned once in six pages of posts...not good. Especially moose- his chin and cranium is either not human or he has the greatest poker face of all time.

No he does not. Guys who eat up that crap are the most gullible and laughable.

The fact that Sonnen is willing to grab a gift of a LHW title shot that he knows he would never earn does not make him special. Prize fighters, fight hard to earn that shot, Sonnen says yes to the gift. Big whoop.

Spinning that others won't take the fights is referring to other top LHW's refusing to drop a ton of weight on short notice to fight the most dominant LHW champ which simply should not be expected to be done. As a top LHW fighter who has worked his way up the proper way, you want to fight Jones at your best, not your weakest. But for big MW's like Sonnen, Vitor, Weidman, who all said yes to a free title shot at LHW that is no sign of being anything other than opportunistic and willing to take gifts.

That is one of the most unintelligent things I've read in a long time. Gift or not. What do you honestly expect him to do, turn down a title fight if he's offered one? You wouldn't turn it down either and don't even try to pretend you would. That's like turning down a promotion at work because you'd rather earn it. If you get a opportunity that may or may not ever come around again, you take it.

If someone is willing to go to a different weight class or take a fight on short notice, that's ballsy. Both of which Chael has done. You don't have to agree that he has balls, but don't sit there and act like he should turn a fight down just because you feel he didn't earn it.

Back