Top 3 boxers in the UFC Past and Present

this is a disguised Mcgregor praise thread, dont know how he's making top 3 best boxers. JDS' defense is not great, bc he just takes punches each fight to land one. In terms of technical boxers, ppl are neglecting footwork. No one feints, has better footwork and head movement than these 3:

1. anderson silva
2. frankie edgar
3. dom cruz

rory looking better and better though

1. just no. I love andy but he isn't being mentioned for a reason. He is a purely reflex fighter. That is horrible technique to lean all over and stand flat footed. It would be bad enough if he just did one. Boxers do a rock back or bob but not that goofy fuck with them but leave yourself totally off balance lean.

3. Not my picks but I can see the argument.

I also can't believe I left Gus off my list. He has some of the best boxing i've seen in mma. I love how he stuck and move with jones, just lighting him up with jabs and crosses.

1. just no. I love andy but he isn't being mentioned for a reason. He is a purely counter fighter.

fixed. he's a very good counter striker. and he gets in people's heads because of his crazy movement. I think he'd roy jones a lot of boxers if he got into a pure boxing fight. he's also very accurate with his strikes

fixed. he's a very good counter striker. and he gets in people's heads because of his crazy movement. I think he'd roy jones a lot of boxers if he got into a pure boxing fight. he's also very accurate with his strikes

oh I won't deny that for a second. Where I'm going with that is he relies on those reflexes in order to effectively function as a counter striker. He was getting tagged by slow ass bonnar and got knocked out with weidman. Much like roy jones as he gets older that style is going to get him hurt. All that being said he is still going to starch nick

oh I won't deny that for a second. Where I'm going with that is he relies on those reflexes in order to effectively function as a counter striker. He was getting tagged by slow ass bonnar and got knocked out with weidman. Much like roy jones as he gets older that style is going to get him hurt. All that being said he is still going to starch nick

don't sleep on nick. A good counter puncher can be starched by good combos and diaz happens to throw them to the body and has power.

IMO they both try to clown their opponents, and then reflexively hit them first before they get hit. Yeah they both got old, but that doesnt mean they were great in their time. He was getting tagged by Bonnar, but he finished it when he wanted to. he even put himself against the cage just like Roy Jones put himself in the corner and told his opponent to come in. the guys are very similar in style IMO anderson has one of the best striking defences, consider how much damage he's taken throughout his career

IMO they both try to clown their opponents, and then reflexively hit them first before they get hit. Yeah they both got old, but that doesnt mean they were great in their time. He was getting tagged by Bonnar, but he finished it when he wanted to. he even put himself against the cage just like Roy Jones put himself in the corner and told his opponent to come in. the guys are very similar in style IMO anderson has one of the best striking defences, consider how much damage he's taken throughout his career

staying out of range is always good. When I boxed I would drop my heads when out of range. It makes them think you're open but then they eat a jab or a cross by coming in. Knowing when to be in and out keeps you from taking a lot of punishment. Silva had it in spades. Very few people hurt him

Having power doesn't have anything to do with how good of a boxer someone is.

Of course it does. Technique is, within a weight class, the most important determinant of power and a big part of good boxing is knowing when to commit to power shots to maximize the efficient use of energy and minimize the risk you put yourself in to land them.

I'd never consider Nick Diaz an elite MMA-boxer because he neglects defense and relies too much on his chin, but I love the way he conceals big power shots (especially to the body) behind volume striking and loads up only when he sees an opening, but loads up often enough to make opponents respect all of his punches. In a sport where we have so many guys winning ho-hum decisions by landing more strikes than their opponent because they don't take any risks and neglect power, it's refreshing to watch Diaz go in there and show how volume striking can and should be used as a really effective and damaging style.

What I've learned from this thread: most of sherdog can't tell the difference between good boxers and good brawlers.

1. Anderson - Great head movement, positioning, footwork; his amateur boxing background shined through his clear understanding of the fundamentals

2. Alexander Gustafsson - Superb at creating both distance and pressure with the footwork. Possibly the best jab in the UFC. I think his performance against JJ speaks for itself.

3. Stipe Miocic - Golden Gloves champ. Although I'm very disappointing that he doesn't use his standup more often, I can see why. He has very crisp, technical straight punches that he uses very well on both the counter and on offense. Very good at applying pressure with the footwork and also very good at setting up kicks and takedowns with punches. Trained at strongstyle for a brief time and got the pleasure of watching Stipe train standup.

Nick Diaz would make for a very close fourth. He has good fundamentals but he has a hard time integrating his boxing with other maneuvers and very often wings his hooks.

Back