Top 3 boxers in the UFC Past and Present

anderson had the best boxing (especially when we start talking about footwork, angles, head movement, and defense)

1. Leonard Garcia
2. Matt Hughes
3. Jake Shields

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Anderson, Edgar, Aldo have all proven it against top competition and...

art jimmerson and James Toney

Also, Gus...

MMA boxing is awful. It's an insult to the term just making a list.

There is no boxing in MMA. So confused as to what you are lookin for? KO power, good technique stemming from boxing training, mostly just throw punches. I dunno.

I'm gonna go with JDS Gus Masvidal, TJ, and Cruz.

Ray Mercer beat Sylvia.

There is no boxing in MMA. So confused as to what you are lookin for? KO power, good technique stemming from boxing training, mostly just throw punches. I dunno.

I'm gonna go with JDS Gus Masvidal, TJ, and Cruz.

Masvidal is a good one.

Guys, before I get flamed ive been an on off fan for 10 years. Only a big fan for 18 months. Im basing this on purely what ive seen. Unfortunately I have never seen cain fight live so he is excluded.

Present.
1. Mcgregor
2. Lawler
3. Hendricks
3. Rumble - dude has serious power tied 3rd. Has the potential to go 1st if he keeps it up.

All Time/Past.
1. Liddel
2. Lawler - Mcgregor is excluded because of his short time in the UFC.
3. Belfort

Like to point out anyone else noticed that when Mcgregor and Hendricks in particular hit guys it actually looks like there not hitting them that hard at all. Guys just fall though..... I find this amazing as a viewer.

Hendricks in your list is laughable. Im a big rig fan but he just simply isnt a top boxer. Lawler also is nothing close to a good boxer.

Current should look like
1. McGregor
2. JDS
3. Gus

Edit- honorable mention Frankie Edgar.

Make the criteria up of a complete boxer, all the qualities you all have listed.
The reason I didn't include edgar or even consider is he has basically no power.

I think you need a bit of power before even being considered but that's just me.

Hendricks in your list is laughable. Im a big rig fan but he just simply isnt a top boxer. Lawler also is nothing close to a good boxer.

Current should look like
1. McGregor
2. JDS
3. Gus

Edit- honorable mention Frankie Edgar.

I only list McGregor and Gus. JDS' defense isn't good enough and his offense is pretty limited too. Also, his footwork just isn't that good.

In no particular order:

Gustafsson - He always looks fluid in his combos. Shows good foot work, solid jab and uses feints well.

McGregor - Great foot work. Pick his shots well and has great timing.

Aldo - More known for his muay thai but I believe his boxing is some of the best in the UFC. Uses good head movement and throws some great combos. Although he got tagged quite a few times by Mendes I think he really showed how good his boxing was in that fight.

People often talk about JDS and Edgar when it comes to boxing but I think their hands are a slightly overrated. JDS is one of my favourite fighters but his boxing didn't look particularly great against Miocic, who himself is a pretty decent boxer. I think he has good boxing but relies on his power a lot. His defence has a lot of room for improvement as well, especially when he his pressured and backed up towards the cage.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Anderson LOL. Best boxer in MMA imo. In MMA standards he's miles ahead of everyone else. Uses head movement, foot work, moves at angles etc.

Agree on Aldo. Hes a great and very under rated boxer by all accounts.

A lot of great suggestions in here because so many fans from different genres in here. Top thread keep it up.

Below I considered Nick Diaz he is a great boxer in fairness.

Anyone not including the Diaz brothers in this list is wrong.

Currently, Nick Diaz, Jorge Masvidal, Cisco Rivera, Alex Gustafsson, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo.

Past, James Toney, Rampage, Marco Ruas, Bas Rutten, Chuck Liddell.

Gus, Masvidal and McGregor at the moment. Diaz bros were mentioned but I have not seen them being as effective as these three. Gus, for example, was able to use his boxing to come frighteningly close to beating Jones. Nick Diaz could not use his boxing to beat Condit - and for God's sake that was a perfectly legit win for Condit - and had absolutely nothing for GPS in 5 rounds even in the standup.

And figured someone would say MMA boxing is all just horrible. Next up is someone saying MMA fighters are inferior athletes to similarly ranked boxers and that MMA is for substandard athletes who could not do boxing or other real sports. I'm sure it's coming eventually.

Never change, Sherdog.

dom cruz anyone? hes prob the best. look at that footwork. Gus is close second though

Back