Top 10 Most Popular Sports in The World In 2014

I wish our girls still played field hockey. That is a legit chick sport.

In a lot of places it's a legit guy sport too.

But back on topic:

hockey-netherlands2907120002ps.jpg

DCAB14E5F3E59DBE1B6B1A83BE396E.jpg

ellen-hoog-netherlands-field-hockey.jpeg

You'd feel like a dumbass playing American Football in a non-supervised environment, surely? That shit has no flow. Are kids around the world gonna spend 5 minutes organizing themselves for 10 seconds of running straight into each other? They got too much energy and endurance for that

Plus it's not like soccer where there are skills you can practice outside of playing the actual game either

Playing some pick up football in the park with some of your friends isn't at all like you described. Typically it's one quaterback with everyone else being a receiver or defending a receiver. There aren't people grinding it out "inside the trenches" or any sort of real team strategy that requires organization.

% of poor people. they can't play football, soccer on the other hand, any 3rd world kid can kick around a pebble and call it soccer. makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Oh yeah, perfect sense.

So a place like American Samoa, which, per capita, produces more NCAA Division 1 and NFL players than anywhere in the mainland US must be swimming in money, with all the kids busting out their pads and helmets to play.

Oh wait,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Samoa#Economy

$8,000 per capita GDP. Or about 1/6 that of the US.

Bunch of poor kids playing and excelling at football?? Impossibru!

Oh yeah, perfect sense.

So a place like American Samoa, which, per capita, produces more NCAA Division 1 and NFL players than anywhere in the mainland US must be swimming in money, with all the kids busting out their pads and helmets to play.

Oh wait,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Samoa#Economy

$8,000 per capita GDP. Or about 1/6 that of the US.

Bunch of poor kids playing and excelling at football?? Impossibru!
So, by the same token, should we asume Sumo is pretty popular in the islands, having in mind that this tiny country has made one ozeki and one yokozuna? Or would it be safer to asume that this is a tremendously strong people, posibly the strongest people in the world per capita (which also explains why tiny Tonga and Samoa rutinely qualify for the Rugy World Cup and are among the leading nations of Rugby Seven) born with the natural gifts to play AF?

Im gonna go on a limb and say that AF is only played at (U.S related) High Schools facilities and that rugby and soccer are more popular on"the streets" of AMerican Samoa - which in turn highlits the limited set of skills needed to make it in the NFL(the same situations would be imposible in soccer).

That list is flawed. if it was really media coverage based there is absolutely zero chance volleyball would be ahead of basketball. Volleyball is a fringe sport almost everywhere with only Italy having a league where players can earn serious money. On the other hand most of the world has professional basketball leagues and you can get rich playing outside the NBA.

Outside of national team competitions I would be very hard for me to watch Voleyball at club level as it is hardly boradcasted, on the other hand I can watch basketball almost every day during the season.

Participation wise that list would look very very different. Golf and Tennis may be popular but you need to come from a very privileged background to be able to play on competitive level. on the other hand millions of people world wide train and compete in some form of wrestling, and you can be dirt poor and still excell at it.

Im gonna go on a limb and say that AF is only played at (U.S related) High Schools facilities and that rugby and soccer are more popular on"the streets" of AMerican Samoa - which in turn highlits the limited set of skills needed to make it in the NFL(the same situations would be imposible in soccer).

Yeah, football players spend the majority of their time out of pads working on getting bigger, faster and stronger. That's all it is. And endless cycle of working out and eating to work on your physique.

Then tackling can be practiced and perfected in a few weeks' worth of full-contact practice with pads before the season starts.

Quarterbacks are different though. They actually do need constant practice with the ball. Which is why a big chunk of them in the last years tend to come from rich backgrounds where their parents send them off to "QB camp" or hire coaches to tutor them privately. The position has become highly individualized.

gonna start playing ping pong so i can get my hands right

Another ignorant comment, as expected from Breakitdown, dude always deliver.

The hate table-tennis gets in an mma site like Sherdog baffles the mind. Of all the non fighting sports, table tennis is probably - from a striker perspective - the closest to combat sports. And not only for the lightning fast reflexes, and hyperfast deliverance; its footwork - which often goes unnoticed by the limited vision of the usual sherdogger - is utterly amazing. Theres certainly much to appreciate in table tennis for the mma connoiseur.

[YT]tX6PK0jgnp8&feature=related[/YT]

Pretty sure any player from Breakitdowns rec league team would destroy a table tennis world champion.

lmfao

India is a pretty can country when it comes to athletics.

Who's the greatest athlete in Indian history, and what sport did he play?

That's not in question, try again.

I can see Soccer being #1 but Football being #10? What is this based off of?

What a bunch of Bullshit. You couldn't fill a 10k arena to watch volleyball anywhere in the world.

Hell, I love baseball, but I don't understand how it, or basketball, could be above American Football.

I can see Soccer being #1 but Football being #10? What is this based off of?

What a bunch of Bullshit. You couldn't fill a 10k arena to watch volleyball anywhere in the world.

Volleyball was really popular in Japan when I was there, they would easily fill a 10k stadium to watch it. Plus it is played all over the world.

Seems like some people in this thread don't realize there is a whole big world outside of the USA.

Hell, I love baseball, but I don't understand how it, or basketball, could be above American Football.

Because they are both way more popular worldwide than American football. Baseball is huge in the Caribbean, South America and East Asia.

I thought this was common knowledge.

Because they are both way more popular worldwide than American football. Baseball is huge in the Caribbean, South America and East Asia.

I thought this was common knowledge.

Oh, yeah. Logic and all that.

Oh, yeah. Logic and all that.

I saw a fairly meaningless regular season baseball game in the Tokyo Dome and the atmosphere was amazing. The place was packed and the fans were hugely into it. And every single game is like that in a 55K-seat arena.

It was awesome.

Back