Top 10 Most Popular Sports in The World In 2014

Another ignorant comment, as expected from Breakitdown, dude always deliver.

The hate table-tennis gets in an mma site like Sherdog baffles the mind. Of all the non fighting sports, table tennis is probably - from a striker perspective - the closest to combat sports. And not only for the lightning fast reflexes, and hyperfast deliverance; its footwork - which often goes unnoticed by the limited vision of the usual sherdogger - is utterly amazing. Theres certainly much to appreciate in table tennis for the mma connoiseur.

[YT]tX6PK0jgnp8&feature=related[/YT]

lol at people not knowing the "i am indian and let me tell you" copypasta.

It's also very popular in Canada. But here was the criteria:

These lists are never built on concrete statistics.

The data simply doesn't exist. No one has collected it.

I thought CFL was the preferred Football game in Canada.

I'm surprised rugby isn't on the list. Am surprised field hockey is on the list though.

Not even close.

Television numbers say the exact opposite and that they are very close in terms of popularity throughout the country. The CFL generally averages better numbers through each of their regular seasons, but the NFL generally has the edge when it comes to the playoffs. Including the Super Bowl which outdraws the Grey Cup (usually in the 6 million range for SB, 4 million range for GC).

If you're looking at specific areas of the country then you will find a pretty big gap. e.g. If you're in southern Ontario the NFL holds a big edge as far as popularity goes there as the CFL is largely ignored when compared to the rest of the country. Conversely, if you're living in the prairie provinces then the CFL holds a substantial edge and is arguably more popular than the NHL in that part of the country.

Here's some television numbers from last fall comparing the two leagues. Source being BBM, which is Canada's official ratings provider;

Fri Oct 11: BC at Calgary — 659,000 TSN
Sat Oct 12: Edmonton at Saskatchewan — 778,000 TSN
Sun Oct 13: Packers at Ravens / Bengals at Bills / Steelers at Jets — 712,000 CTV (*CBS, Fox)
Sun Oct 13: Saints at Patriots / Cardinals at 49ers — 292,000 Sportsnet (*Fox, CBS)
Sun Oct 13: Redskins at Cowboys — 455,000 TSN (*NBC)
Mon Oct 14: Toronto at Hamilton — 956,000 TSN
Mon Oct 14: Winnipeg at Montreal — 686,000 TSN
Mon Oct 14: Colts at Chargers — 545,000 TSN

Fri Oct 18: Calgary at Edmonton — 631,000 TSN
Sat Oct 19: BC at Saskatchewan — 863,000 TSN
Sat Oct 19: Toronto at Winnipeg — 650,000 TSN
Sun Oct 20: Bills at Dolphins / Patriots at Jets / Cowboys at Eagles — 710,000 CTV (*CBS, Fox)
Sun Oct 20: Broncos at Colts — 725,000 TSN (*NBC)
Sun Oct 20: Hamilton at Montreal — 473,000 TSN
Sun Oct 20: Texans at Chiefs / Ravens at Steelers — 227,000 Sportsnet (*CBS)

Thu Oct 24: Winnipeg at Toronto — 517,000 TSN
Thu Oct 24: Panthers at Buccaneers — 105,000 Sportsnet 360
Fri Oct 25: Edmonton at BC — 604,000 TSN
Sat Oct 26: Saskatchewan at Calgary — 771,000 TSN
Sat Oct 26: Montreal at Hamilton — 451,000 TSN
Sun Oct 27: Dolphins at Patriots / Cowboys at Lions / Bills at Saints — 809,000 CTV (*Fox, CBS)
Sun Oct 27: Jets at Bengals / Redskins at Broncos 151,000 Sportsnet (*Fox)
Sun Oct 27: Packers at Vikings — 411,000 TSN (*NBC)

Thu Oct 31: Bengals at Dolphins — 448,300 Sportsnet
Fri Nov 1: BC at Calgary — 543,000 TSN
Fri Nov 2: Montreal at Toronto — 487,000 TSN
Sat Nov 2: Edmonton at Saskatchewan — 613,000 TSN
Sat Nov 2: Hamilton at Winnipeg — 437,000 TSN
Sun Nov 3: Chiefs at BIlls / Vikings at Cowboys / Saints at Jets — 555,000 CTV (*Fox, CBS)
Sun Nov 3: Steelers at Patriots — 497,00 City (*CBS)
Sun Nov 3: Colts at Texans — 408,000 TSN (*NBC)

Who cares if it's CFL or NFL? It's all American Football.

Lol at people thinking that calling ping pong table tennis makes it a sport.

Another ignorant comment, as expected from Breakitdown, dude always deliver.

The hate table-tennis gets in an mma site like Sherdog baffles the mind. Of all the non fighting sports, table tennis is probably - from a striker perspective - the closest to combat sports. And not only for the lightning fast reflexes, and hyperfast deliverance; its footwork - which often goes unnoticed by the limited vision of the usual sherdogger - is utterly amazing. Theres certainly much to appreciate in table tennis for the mma connoiseur.

[YT]tX6PK0jgnp8&feature=related[/YT]

Rustlemania over table tennis?

I've seen it all now.

900 millions volleyball fans ? 2 billion field hockey fans ? Damn...

Where is rugby ?

i get american football, it shouldn't even be on the list, but no way basketball isn't top 5

I aint even suprised. A lot of popular sports are shit easy to play, most of them just needs a ball and in some cases something to hit said ball with. That's probably why certain sports (like hockey) isnt as popular because hockey gear costs ass (and most hockey people come from cold regions). I'm suprised Golf is that high.

I think if any 'combat sport' would be there it would be something like Judo, that shit is popular everywhere.

Also, lol at the butthurt NFL fans who don't understand how big the world is.

I wish our girls still played field hockey. That is a legit chick sport.

I can see Soccer being #1 but Football being #10? What is this based off of?

% of poor people. they can't play football, soccer on the other hand, any 3rd world kid can kick around a pebble and call it soccer. makes perfect sense when you think about it.

they can't play football, soccer on the other hand, any 3rd world kid can kick around a pebble and call it soccer. makes perfect sense when you think about it.

You'd feel like a dumbass playing American Football in a non-supervised environment, surely? That shit has no flow. Are kids around the world gonna spend 5 minutes organizing themselves for 10 seconds of running straight into each other? They got too much energy and endurance for that

Plus it's not like soccer where there are skills you can practice outside of playing the actual game either

Last edited:
Back