Top 10 MMA KO Strikes

Can someone please post the info from the link. I can't access it for some reason

Cross should be replaced with "shitty baseball style overhand right".

Cross should be replaced with "shitty baseball style overhand right".

Overhand cross is number three on their list, so both are accounted for. I am surprised the cross is number one, considering all the MMA fighters that are fond of the overhand.

If you look at the heat map you can see that the overhand cross is a heavy favourite among heavyweights. Lighter-weights throw a few more straighter strikes though.

Overhand cross is number three on their list, so both are accounted for. I am surprised the cross is number one, considering all the MMA fighters that are fond of the overhand.

My apologies Harry Potter, the above is more what I was alluding to. Seems far too often that we watch top caliber MMA fighters throw garbage overhands, shocked it isn't at the top of the list personally.

That is a fair point. Number 3 seems pretty high to me though. Keep in mind there are a few former K1 stars in those stats. Those boys don't play around.

Surprised cross at 1 and overhand at 3. Just shows you how good a cross is. That even in MMA it is still more effective than oh.

Surprised cross at 1 and overhand at 3. Just shows you how good a cross is. That even in MMA it is still more effective than oh.

Definitely, although sometimes the line between overhand cross and a straight is pretty fine.

Personally, the roundhouse kick surprised me. Considering the cross and the overhand are variations on the same strike, that puts the roundhouse as the third most common KO strike in terms of uniqueness. I would have thought it was behind the rear hand hook and knees.

punches are thrown the most of all strikes and are easier to learn to do than kicks. Some dudes can't and don't even throw kicks but everybody throws punches. Being able to kick effectively takes at least twice as long to learn as punch effectively. I liked the article. I've always liked the cross. We all know what the most powerful strikes are though. Spinning kicks, punches, and elbows. Too hard to learn to do effectively but when they land they starch people.

Straight rights are not all "crosses". You "cross" a jab as a counter. Otherwise, you're just throwing a straight right. Simple thing that non-boxers mess up all the time; drives me nuts, and it probably is irrelevant to everyone else.

punches are thrown the most of all strikes and are easier to learn to do than kicks. Some dudes can't and don't even throw kicks but everybody throws punches. Being able to kick effectively takes at least twice as long to learn as punch effectively. I liked the article. I've always liked the cross. We all know what the most powerful strikes are though. Spinning kicks, punches, and elbows. Too hard to learn to do effectively but when they land they starch people.

Thanks for the comment Nicslagan. I'm glad you liked the article. :icon_chee

One of the comments to our Top 10 MMA Submissions article http://mmafightdb.com/top-10-mma-submissions/ was that some fighters just don't know how to apply certain techniques like the D'arce properly. The same may be true of strikes like spinning kicks.

The trouble I have is that argument is sort of circular. It seems to work on the basis that if a technique fails then it is because a fighter didn't know what he was doing. that would make pretty much every strike or submission 100% effective. In philosophy you would call that "begging the question" - you assume the conclusion.

Our approach is to try and stay as objective as possible. We record what works and leave the why up to you. The MMA Fight DB database includes over 1300 fighters. I would imagine that is a relatively large sample size of the population of professional MMA fighters, although I don't know what the overall population size would be. It seems reasonable to conclude that what is true of the sample is true of the overall population.

What I think is reasonable to say is that in the population reviewed, spinning techniques caused KOs at a relatively low rate when compared to the cross and the hook. That could be due to the power of these techniques, ability of the fighters, fear of a takedown, difficulty of landing a spinning technique, distance or any other number of factors or all of these factors. It is difficult to attribute it to any one/all without some objective reason.

On another personal note, I am also not sure that there really is one way to do many techniques. Fighters styles and body shapes are very different and this changes the angles and shapes that fighters have to work with. A 5'5'' guy fighting a 6'2'' has different options from two opponents of the same height. Add in that one fighter is a wrestler and the other a BJJ blackbelt and you may see some pretty unconventional striking :)

A smart trainer would have his guys drilling the fuck out of their crosses upon seeing this. I mean from a statistical point of view this should now be the strike being thrown most often by all fighters. I just wonder if that would raise its numbers on the graph or lower them? I would be willing to bet it has more to do with a jab coming infront of it than anything else though.

Perhaps one day Joe Rogan post-fight interviews will include a shout out to MMA Fight DB :icon_lol:

Straight rights are not all "crosses". You "cross" a jab as a counter. Otherwise, you're just throwing a straight right. Simple thing that non-boxers mess up all the time; drives me nuts, and it probably is irrelevant to everyone else.

Boy, that's some potent elitism you've got going there. :icon_lol:

Cross is more or less synonymous with "straight right/left" at this point. I typically follow Jack Slack's example and say "cross counter" when I want to refer to a right hand over a jab. If you say "cross," 99% of people will assume that you mean a straight, rear-hand punch, and the term has meant that for so long that it's not worth it to try and revive the older meaning.

Back