Top 10 Grapplers, Ever!

Welcome to sherdog. Next time post a source. Obviously if this was recent, Marcelo Garcia would have tore his way on to the list, (along with Jacare). If it was of all time you would have seen Rickson on the list.

the gracie's got no love for JJ Machado

minimagpro said:
my list or current bjj fighters:

1) Jacare
2) Roger Gracie
3) Marcelo Garcia
4) Margarida
5) Pe De Pano
6) Leo Vieira
7) Saulo Ribiero
8) Terere
9) Xande Ribiero
10) Cafe Dantes
11) Eduardo Telles
12) Dave and Dan Camarillo
13) Parrumpinha
14) Pe De Chumbo
15) Rodrigo Riscado

im forgetting some i know but im in a rush to get somewhere.

Roger is better than Jacare

Escabar said:
the gracie's got no love for JJ Machado

They grew up together and they're like family............unless something happened that I'm unaware of?

I find the hubris of conflating Gracie Jiu-jitsu with grappling ridiculous. Some people just don't know better but those who do should be ashamed of themselves.

I don' t know much about sperry and his Gi work, but i certainly wouldn't put him in the top of the No Gi category.....

sperry was the first one to tap out royler when royler was dominating bjj comps in brasil (including the absolute div)

True, but Sperry outweighed him by 50 lbs. or more.

dutchmasterj3 said:
Roger is better than Jacare

no he's not... they are pretty much even but after watching all of their fights and seen who has won more competitions and stuff, jacare comes out on top but roger is very close behind him.

just because he tapped him out at abu dabi ( he wouldnt have if jacare wouldnt have been arguing with the referee over the takedown) doesnt mean that he is a better grappler

Kforcer is the only one to have posted anything note worthy in this thread so far. You guys are idiots if you think some of those names deserve to be on "top 10 grapplers ever" list, which is stupid in itself seeing as how none of you have lived since the birth of man, meaning none of you have seen every grappler on the planet to determine a list if this nature.

Masakatsu Funaki #1 said:
Kforcer is the only one to have posted anything note worthy in this thread so far. You guys are idiots if you think some of those names deserve to be on "top 10 grapplers ever" list, which is stupid in itself seeing as how none of you have lived since the birth of man, meaning none of you have seen every grappler on the planet to determine a list if this nature.

*nods head in agreement*

Masakatsu Funaki #1 said:

So if you haven't lived since Day 1 of Creation you can't opine as to who is the greatest basketball player, scientist, miler, grappler, etc.? Man, you have a serious IQ deficit.

True, but Sperry outweighed him by 50 lbs. or more.

point taken, but others outweighed him by that much also and could not tapy royler.

johil d'o said:
So if you haven't lived since Day 1 of Creation you can't opine as to who is the greatest basketball player, scientist, miler, grappler, etc.? Man, you have a serious IQ deficit.
I understand what you're saying, but when you have people listing their opinions of the top 10 best grapplers ever, and each of those grappler's bases are BJJ and they are still alive, causes the whole whole idea if listing them pretty idiotic. Your argument using the basketball scenario isn't very good either. Grappling was the first sport ever. Its been around since the dawn of man, to create a list of the top 10 grapplers ever, you would either have to be the biggest history buff ever (which is still flawed, since you havent witnessed some of the grapplers, that you might list based on folk tales,etc) or you'd have to have lived since the begining of man. Basketball is a pretty new sport, really, so creating a list of the top ten basketball players wouldn't be nearly as difficult as making a grapplers list. I do understand you though, making a list of the top ten best grapplers in the past century would be highly realistic. So yeah, you win the argument as far as that goes :p

Yeah it HAS to be a BJJ list only.

I mean in the 90's they WERE great grapplers but like another poster said some of these guys were beat by grapplers in other disciplines both in grappling comps and MMA as well.

Hell Mark Kerr must be in the top 2 or 3 since he beat gurgel in MMA and sperry in grappling.
Beating 2 of the top 10 is no small feat I guess.

my list was of current grapplers that fight with the gi

just to clarify

Back