Social Too Old to Drink

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
The nature of my work and family life is that I can't afford to be tired. I have to be on all day.

For years, I've used alcohol to sleep. Not a lot. A couple of beers. Two glasses of wine at most. Buzzed, but not dizzy or dumb. And i often take breaks so i never build up a resistance.

Recently, nights i have a night cap, the whole next day I'm tired. If i don't drink, I'm fine. The obvious solution is to quit drinking at night, but that's like the main thing i look forward to. I love drinking at night. I can replace it with tea but I don't want too.

Is this a common, life ruining change for people in their 40s, or am I sick and dying? Let me know.

The nature of my work and family life is that I can't afford to be tired. I have to be on all day.

For years, I've used alcohol to sleep. Not a lot. A couple of beers. Two glasses of wine at most. Buzzed, but not dizzy or dumb. And i often take breaks so i never build up a resistance.

Recently, nights i have a night cap, the whole next day I'm tired. If i don't drink, I'm fine. The obvious solution is to quit drinking at night, but that's like the main thing i look forward to. I love drinking at night. I can replace it with tea but I don't want too.

Is this a common, life ruining change for people in their 40s, or am I sick and dying? Let me know.
Hey Sherbro, I am a Respiratory Therapist, have you had a recent sleep study?

No, but i have vivid dreams, used to have sleep paralysis, sleep talk, and all that. I don't snore.
Ok. The booze might be having an effect. But your CPAP pressure might need to be adjusted. The dreaming is a good sign because people with OSA don't usually dress very much. That's why I asked when your last sleep study was.

Also any recent weight loss of 20+ lbs? That can effect the necessary CPAP pressure.

If you can replace with tea why you don't want to other than having an addiction? I don't mean alcohol addiction, but addiction to the act of drinking if that make sense.

Ok. The booze might be having an effect. But your CPAP pressure might need to be adjusted. The dreaming is a good sign because people with OSA don't usually dress very much. That's why I asked when your last sleep study was.

Also any recent weight loss of 20+ lbs? That can effect the necessary CPAP pressure.

I don't use a CPAP machine. My weight goes up and down some.

After I hit 40, if I had just one drink in the evening, I'd have to get up at least twice over night to pee. Screwed up my sleep and made me cranky

Rather than drink during the night, try drinking inconspicuously throughout the day.. I find a steady flow of alcohol from 8am to 9pm sets me up for a sound nights sleep… although my ability to function during the day does diminish slightly!

I bet you snore!

No wonder you can't sleep, and now, thanks to your snoring, neither can anyone else!

<HisEye>

Last edited:
Any type of alcohol has this effect or just a certain type?

Too old to drink? Maybe just get a check up - they'll tell you whats up.

I don't use a CPAP machine. My weight goes up and down some.
My bad I saw cap and thought CPAP.

Booze limits the amount of deep restful sleep you get. If you are only having 2 drinks that shouldn't do too much, but everyone's body handles 2 drinks differently.

Try some sleep tea from the grocery store and less drinks. Might help.

Back