too much mma/cardio

James Smith

Amateur Fighter
@White
Reaction score
right now i train mma about 4-5 times a week
i was planing on starting lifting about 3-4 times a week and taking protien shakes
to gain weight do i need to do less mma/cardio? is it possible to gain weight and keep my cardio where it is at?

Short answer to the last question is yes, but you'll need to up your caloric intake by a lot and work harder on your cardio to keep it where it is if you add muscle mass.

Yes to both questions.

Keep your sessions short and intense, cut out any long duration cardio (running etc.)

Depending on the volume of the MMA sessions, I would say 2 would be sufficient, although 3 might be ideal. Just start off low volume and work your way up.

Also try and get a decent amount of sleep and try and keep low stress (easier said then done I'm afraid).

lifting 4 times a week is unnecessary. you might be spending too much time on isolation exercises if so. And yes you can gain weight and keep cardio at the same time.

But than again whats your biggest goal? being a good fighter or being heavier? Because you can always add the strength and mass if you truly need it. Alot of times trying to add strength onto a good base of technique is easier than trying to build it all at once or getting heavy first than trying to get into cardio shape.

Back