1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

too much mma/cardio

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by James Smith, Aug 24, 2010.

1. James Smith

James Smith Amateur Fighter

right now i train mma about 4-5 times a week
    i was planing on starting lifting about 3-4 times a week and taking protien shakes
    to gain weight do i need to do less mma/cardio? is it possible to gain weight and keep my cardio where it is at?

2. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsu Black Belt

Short answer to the last question is yes, but you'll need to up your caloric intake by a lot and work harder on your cardio to keep it where it is if you add muscle mass.

3. milano

milano I am the Walrus

Yes to both questions.

Keep your sessions short and intense, cut out any long duration cardio (running etc.)

4. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

Depending on the volume of the MMA sessions, I would say 2 would be sufficient, although 3 might be ideal. Just start off low volume and work your way up.

Also try and get a decent amount of sleep and try and keep low stress (easier said then done I'm afraid).

5. KyleInAction

KyleInAction ***HOPKINS BELT***

That's a great tip that we all know, but rarely remember.

6. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

Alas though the real world is not conducive to a good training regime :icon_sad:

7. James Fuller

James Fuller Amateur Fighter

lifting 4 times a week is unnecessary. you might be spending too much time on isolation exercises if so. And yes you can gain weight and keep cardio at the same time.

But than again whats your biggest goal? being a good fighter or being heavier? Because you can always add the strength and mass if you truly need it. Alot of times trying to add strength onto a good base of technique is easier than trying to build it all at once or getting heavy first than trying to get into cardio shape.