Too much bounce, any drills to settle the bouncing?

apizur**

Aggressive Finesse.
@Brown
Reaction score
Here's a couple rounds of a fight I lost a couple years ago. I have this habit of backing out, standing straight up, and bouncing on my toes. I can't seem to shake it, even today.

I'm looking for some recommendations on how to stop that. Footwork drills, shadowboxing focus, things to bear in mind.

I have this thing where I get excited in the pocket and will land a couple shots and jump way out, I'm sure you'll see it. It's a huge sticking point for me, and any wisdom I can take to the ring I'm willing to try.

I'm in the blue corner.

Here's a couple rounds of a fight I lost a couple years ago. I have this habit of backing out, standing straight up, and bouncing on my toes. I can't seem to shake it, even today.

I'm looking for some recommendations on how to stop that. Footwork drills, shadowboxing focus, things to bear in mind.

I have this thing where I get excited in the pocket and will land a couple shots and jump way out, I'm sure you'll see it. It's a huge sticking point for me, and any wisdom I can take to the ring I'm willing to try.

I'm in the blue corner.

when i box i box more crouched in my hips/ass sitting down. and i kind of walk with the intention of my hips/loading the different arms for punches.
when i move i'm always thinking either feint/dodge to that side or two-three different punches to that side. so my movements always have a plan and a purpose. because if not it becomes kind of bouncy and standing straight. atleast that's what i think. when i don't have the purpose of the movements and conciously thinking them, it can become movement for the sake of movement and standing without a plan like you said. and also a lot of feints, because they give you time to think. just split seconds is all you need.

watch a lot of lomachenko and sotolongo, like a lot, all their matches many times. just youtube and use 30 min / 1 hr per day.

Tile exercise.

Can you link some good material, Sin?

Babba, will do.

EDIT:
Which Sotolongo?

Last edited:
Sin, you look like a spanish Jake Gyllenhaal.

I'm seeing the stories start to line up. I see the value of having my balance generated from my rear foot. My instructor in Kissimmee wanted me to stay off my front leg and bend my back knee more. My instructor most recently wanted me to "feel the power off the ball of your [back] foot" and bend the knee more. Now I see you generating power and balance off the rear foot even on punches that rotate the body forward.

Looks like I could use a slightly higher percentage of my weight on my back foot.

I'm like sad to admit how unconditioned I was. I was that tired by round two.
A total positional mess, but then I'd have flashes of angle genius like at 3:50 and catch a dude at a bad angle plodding towards me. I was so frustrated at this fight.

Yeah you were a little front heavy at time especially off the 1-2 (fallin forward a bit).

As far as the pocket goes it wasn't so much bouncing but moving backwards. You were throwing punches but you were stepping straight back as well. One option is obviously to settle down more but then you have to be winning the exchanges in the pocket or you will keep getting backed up/hit.

When you looked your best you took the other option and avoided the pocket by using your jab a lot more. Obviously many great boxers win doing just that (ie. floyd this past weekend). It seems that similar to when you were in the pocket you were trying to move and do the right thing on the outside but you seem to always be moving backwards. If you move forward just a little more it will create space for you to move laterally and backwards.

All in all looked good are you fighting again any time soon?

Work on squats and eat more carbs. :)
Or do some wrestling training, anything that sinks you down for your punches.

Yeah you were a little front heavy at time especially off the 1-2 (fallin forward a bit).

As far as the pocket goes it wasn't so much bouncing but moving backwards. You were throwing punches but you were stepping straight back as well. One option is obviously to settle down more but then you have to be winning the exchanges in the pocket or you will keep getting backed up/hit.

When you looked your best you took the other option and avoided the pocket by using your jab a lot more. Obviously many great boxers win doing just that (ie. floyd this past weekend). It seems that similar to when you were in the pocket you were trying to move and do the right thing on the outside but you seem to always be moving backwards. If you move forward just a little more it will create space for you to move laterally and backwards.

All in all looked good are you fighting again any time soon?

We're having gym issues, as in we don't have one as of two weeks ago. We were supposed to fight this month.

I'm gonna try to collect sparring and fight next month.

I do move back a lot, so much that it gets my right calf all cramped up from constantly landing and settling on it. I think that's why I used to stand so tall back then. It's a tough habit to get rid of. I'm finding if I take that half step back, be set on enough on my rear foot to pump a jab out there the jab is finding the right range to score and stop progress. It's only one solution, so that's why I'm looking to try some more.

a youtube video is worth a thousand words.

it's roniel iglesias sotolongo. he's a cuban, he's everything you need basically. just study him and you'll find what you are looking for.

[YT]psQTU2Dv0OY[/YT]

bonus fight with crazy thai

[YT]alYSllaN9So[/YT]

How many of his shots were they not gonna score? He landed 4 or 5 to the body that were at least just as clean as that looping right hand slap they gave to Boonjumnong. Short hooks on the inside that scored, what the hell did I just watch? "Boxing"?

Anyway, I'm seeing how sharp he is on that base. He's almost never out of position. I'll roll these a few more times in the next few days.

I do move back a lot, so much that it gets my right calf all cramped up from constantly landing and settling on it. I think that's why I used to stand so tall back then. It's a tough habit to get rid of. I'm finding if I take that half step back, be set on enough on my rear foot to pump a jab out there the jab is finding the right range to score and stop progress. It's only one solution, so that's why I'm looking to try some more.

If you have to take a step back to be at proper range to land your jab your most likely to close to begin with. You end up comprising your reach advantage and losing power jamming your self up.

You'll catch people stepping back with the jab because many people will follow you straight forward and walk into it. You can do the same thing with the straight right and you'll be stopping people in their tracks. Either way though theres no reason not to start off at a range where you can touch him and he can't touch you.

How many of his shots were they not gonna score? He landed 4 or 5 to the body that were at least just as clean as that looping right hand slap they gave to Boonjumnong. Short hooks on the inside that scored, what the hell did I just watch? "Boxing"?

Anyway, I'm seeing how sharp he is on that base. He's almost never out of position. I'll roll these a few more times in the next few days.

haha yeah that's a robbery if i've ever seen one. fu*king thai troll.

yeah exactly, the base. that's what you box from. if you don't have that foundation you can't be creative and actually box with correct timing/distance rhytm to fight a good boxer. from this base you can deliever and counter everything as long as you work hard.

Back