Too black for Brazil

Too black for Brazil?

Fine, we'll take Anderson Silva.

You get to take Hitler.

Mexico is actually the most racist country. Blacks used to be all over Mexico and even had a black president back then but present day, you'll be lucky to see any blacks. Why did they all disappeared? That's right...

Argentina is the whitest country I've ever been to. I spent two weeks in Buenos Aires.

Of course the people don't look like they are from Sweden, but they are still white. Their ancestors came from Spain so it would make sense they look like the Spanish.

I've been to Spain as well, and just like the rest of Europe Spain has tons of Africans.

Also I'm from a small city in Canada which has a smaller ratio of white people than Argentina.

There are a lot of race threads recently but most take place in America so here's one that takes place in Brazil. At the very least you guys can peep at some Brazilian Samba ladies.

Cliffs
-Nayara Justino, a black woman, wins the Globeleza contest via popular vote(53%) which means she will act as a sort of mascot for the Carnival coverage on Rede Globo(Largest TV network in Latin America and 2nd in the world) and will be featured in a short clip that precedes any content covering the Carnival
-Once the contest airs she receives a backlash because she's too black
-She is stripped of the position without explanation and is replaced

My impression has always been that in Latin America they are more sensitive to issues of class than race but clearly race is still a point of discussion and controversy over there. How do you think racism in Brazil and in the Latin American context more generally compares of that of the US? Input of Brazilian and Latin American posters would be appreciated.

Also am I the only one who thinks Nayara looks like Anderson Silva?
moca-eleita-Globeleza-voto-popular_ACRIMA20141018_0006_23.jpg

silvavuctory_2271047b.jpg

Trolling comments don't have any power unless you give it to them.

Lol! Has nobody learned that the world is racist? I'm honestly shocked that people are shocked, when they hear racist crap from every race in the world. I know it's hard to see when the media just blasts white on everyone else racism, but it is common among ALL people of this planet. Doesn't mean I don't want it destroyed, but I'm never surprised when I hear about people being racist.

People who are shocked when they discover racism outside the US or Western Europe are simply having their own racial bias challenged.

There are a lot of race threads recently but most take place in America so here's one that takes place in Brazil. At the very least you guys can peep at some Brazilian Samba ladies.

Cliffs
-Nayara Justino, a black woman, wins the Globeleza contest via popular vote(53%) which means she will act as a sort of mascot for the Carnival coverage on Rede Globo(Largest TV network in Latin America and 2nd in the world) and will be featured in a short clip that precedes any content covering the Carnival
-Once the contest airs she receives a backlash because she's too black
-She is stripped of the position without explanation and is replaced

My impression has always been that in Latin America they are more sensitive to issues of class than race but clearly race is still a point of discussion and controversy over there. How do you think racism in Brazil and in the Latin American context more generally compares of that of the US? Input of Brazilian and Latin American posters would be appreciated.

Also am I the only one who thinks Nayara looks like Anderson Silva?
moca-eleita-Globeleza-voto-popular_ACRIMA20141018_0006_23.jpg

silvavuctory_2271047b.jpg

Can't watch that. I just hate the sound of Brazilians speaking Portuguese. It's like the way a lot of people react to the North Carolina twang. Makes everything sound stupid as shit

Brazil is a bit unique within Latin America. In my experience other non-Brazilian Latin Americans can be pretty racist with Cubans sticking out in my mind whereas I've noticed Brazilians tend to be less racists, which is not to say they're not racist at all as evidenced by this video.
While the population history is very similar to the USA, where an european power(Portugal) killed off most of the natives and drove the rest to reservations and imported blacks to do agricultural work and later on brought large numbers of other europeans(italians and germans mostly) to do industrial labor, it's different than America.
There was never segregation in Brazil.
There are no black/white/native gangs. It's not uncommon to see police arrest a gang where there are 9 black guys and a blonde blue eyed guy in the middle.
There is no big "black community" in Brazil, as in groups of blacks that stick together to defend their interests, most people are individualists or try to distance themselves from their black heritage. There are of course small african supremacist groups.
Mulattoes usually consider themselves as distinct from pure blacks(only 7% of the population), there is no 1 drop rule.
If you have some distant black or native heritage but you look white, you're considered white like Ronda Rousey.

Having said that, blacks are former slaves, they are poorer and are usually considered low class and not desirable, almost all famous tv celebrities are white, most girls prefer to marry white guys(especially black girls, unlike in the US where they all love the BBC).

Rich blacks try to appear as white as possible. Example:
Neymar:
177be35fe6cab1f7a2ee2ce949492cf9.jpg

Anitta(local singer):
hqdefault.jpg

Think of Terry Crews in White Chick, he is a black guy that doesn't like other blacks. That's very common around here.

Argentina is the whitest country I've ever been to. I spent two weeks in Buenos Aires.

Of course the people don't look like they are from Sweden, but they are still white. Their ancestors came from Spain so it would make sense they look like the Spanish.

I've been to Spain as well, and just like the rest of Europe Spain has tons of Africans.

Also I'm from a small city in Canada which has a smaller ratio of white people than Argentina.

Yeah, Argentina, Uruguay, southern Chile and Southern Brazil are pretty damn white. Argentina is mostly spanish/italian. Southern Brazil is heavily german, it feels very different than let's say the north or northeast.
For some reason, people outside of latin america stereotype latin americans as Mexican Mestizos.
It's not uncommon for people to ask me if I'm really Brazilian when I'm in other countries.
I remember an australian girl once told me she was surprised how brazilians looked and how we used so little clothing, she thought it was a conservative catholic country like Mexico.

Brazilian here;

TV Globo is racist, but believe me, Racism here is FAR LESS of a problem than it is elsewhere. I guarantee you that.

They do this Globeleza stuff every year, usually, is a girl that will dance on TV during commercial breaks when Carnaval rolls around.

First, they mostly want the Globeleza to represent Brazil's miscigenation, not Black people, so they want an in between black and white, what we call Pardo, to represent the mixed race. They NEVER had a girl that was as black as this one, and that's probably their criteria. Black people will probably throw in "THIS WAS RACIST, IS JUT BECAUSE SHE'S BLACK", but seriously, she wasn't their choice because she's too black to represent our mixed race.

Same thing would happen if a white girl had won. This is not racist at all. And matter of fact most people here did not feel it was either.

Also, since Pardos (mixed people) make about 43% of the population, while blacks are only 7%. Globo was trying to appeal to that demographic. Simple. The Globeleza wasn't meant to represent black people, african roots or anything like that, it always meant to represent Brazil's miscigenation.

Here, this is the girl that was the Globeleza from 1993 to 2003 :

480159-400x600-1.jpeg

I know must of you will consider her black, but she's mixed. She's the measuring stick for their criteria, they want girls that look like her. This is the girl they picked over the black girl :

globeleza2017.jpg

See ? closer to the first one. They want girls that look like this, they want Carnaval to be something that glorifies every single culture and race Brazil has, the Carnaval "mascot" of TV globo can't be black or white. Has to be mixed to symbolize both.

We can talk about Racism in Brazil, but this one wasn't the best example. But i still guarantee you that it happens here WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY less than it does in Europe or USA. Way less.

We can also talk about Brazilians learning to reject their white heritage from early age in public schools cause History teaches love to pretend every white person should be guilty of their ancestors and the extreme victimization of Pardos and Minorities too.

While the population history is very similar to the USA, where an european power(Portugal) killed off most of the natives and drove the rest to reservations and imported blacks to do agricultural work and later on brought large numbers of other europeans(italians and germans mostly) to do industrial labor, it's different than America.
There was never segregation in Brazil.
There are no black/white/native gangs. It's not uncommon to see police arrest a gang where there are 9 black guys and a blonde blue eyed guy in the middle.
There is no big "black community" in Brazil, as in groups of blacks that stick together to defend their interests, most people are individualists or try to distance themselves from their black heritage. There are of course small african supremacist groups.
Mulattoes usually consider themselves as distinct from pure blacks(only 7% of the population), there is no 1 drop rule.
If you have some distant black or native heritage but you look white, you're considered white like Ronda Rousey.

Having said that, blacks are former slaves, they are poorer and are usually considered low class and not desirable, almost all famous tv celebrities are white, most girls prefer to marry white guys(especially black girls, unlike in the US where they all love the BBC).

Rich blacks try to appear as white as possible. Example:
Neymar:
177be35fe6cab1f7a2ee2ce949492cf9.jpg

Anitta(local singer):
hqdefault.jpg

Think of Terry Crews in White Chick, he is a black guy that doesn't like other blacks. That's very common around here.
Yeah I've heard about all that, its quite fascinating. The lack of segregation and the one drop rule really made a difference. Like you point out there are similarities to America but its crazy that pure blacks are only 7& with Mulattoes being roughly 5x larger as a population.

I know many posters here find some of the sociological terms and ideas to be baseless and irritating but the idea of whiteness as a social construct seems valid to me and this is an example of that. What is "white" in Brazil isn't necessarily "white" in America, the rules are different. Neymar becoming "white" has as much to do with the social system he lives in as his genetics.

Also I wonder why this year old thread was bumped.

Can't watch that. I just hate the sound of Brazilians speaking Portuguese. It's like the way a lot of people react to the North Carolina twang. Makes everything sound stupid as shit
I'm the opposite, I love hearing Brazilians speak Portuguese.

They are more racist in Latin America, they just get a pass because somehow this stupid meme of Anglos being the worst is perception.
it's not just latin america, try the whole world ;)

heck, being light skinned, you can be considered superior.... at that point, it's not "racism" anymore, just plain ol stereotyping and supremacy.

I'm thinking Brazil should perhaps worry more about it's staggering crime and murder rates

Back